Thanked 39,245x in 27,866 Posts
    Mentioned
    385 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahuyaman View Post
    Im not sure what your problem is.
    I have no problem. You do.
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdriveSocial
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Tahuyaman's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 76,958x in 55,587 Posts
    Mentioned
    700 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    I thought congress said it was not a tax- they were afraid it would not pass if they called it a tax.
    When it was being debated, the Republicans portrayed it as the largest tax increase in American history. The Democrats said no, it’s a penalty. When it went to the Supreme Court the Democrats changed course and said it was a tax and not a fee or penalty.

In the end the minority did address the tax vs penalty aspect, but their objection was government forcing the citizens to purchase a specific product.

Overall activity: 86.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    MisterVeritis's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    385 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you disagree with MV he becomes irrational.
    When you disagree with me you become irrational. I documented my concerns. You didn't.
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    385 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When it was being debated, the Republicans portrayed it as the largest tax increase in American history. The Democrats said no, it’s a penalty. When it went to the Supreme Court thecDemocratsxchsnged course and said it was a tax and not a fee or penalty.

In the end the minority did address the tax vs penalty aspect, but their objection was government forcing the citizens to purchase a specific product.
    And again you lie.

I documented Scalia's dissent. Why do you pretend?

What did the law say? Did the law call the penalty a penalty? Or did the law call the penalty a tax? Let's start so simple even you cannot screw it up.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    385 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pjohns View Post
    There is a logical fallacy known as The Fallacy of the Complex Question.
    Basically, it is two questions rolled into one.The classical example of it is this:

When did you stop beating your wife?
    One must pay attention to context. Tahu lied. I called him on it. Tahu lied again.

"It Was as a tax. That doesn't mean it was constitutional. Either purchase a product or pay a tax."

What should someone reasonable do?
    Last edited by MisterVeritis; 07-11-2018 at 06:57 PM.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    700 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterVeritis View Post
    When you disagree with me you become irrational. I documented my concerns. You didn't.
    Honestly, you aren’t a stupid guy. Why then do you say so many stupid things? Is it just the contrarian in you? Do you have this irrational need to always try to prove to that you are the smartest guy in the room? That generally proves that you aren’t.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    385 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    You were misled about Kavanaugh.
    Kavanaugh’s thorough and principled takedown of the mandate was indeed a roadmap for the Supreme Court—the Supreme Court dissenters, justices Antonin Scalia, Anthony Kennedy, Clarence Thomas, and Samuel Alito, who explained that the mandate violated the Constitution. I am very familiar with that opinion, because I served as Kennedy’s law clerk that term. I can tell you with certainty that the only justices following a roadmap from Brett Kavanaugh were the ones who said Obamacare was unconstitutional....snip~

http://thefederalist.com/2018/07/03/...nted-unlawful/
    If I was misled it was by Kavanaugh. There are transcripts of his ten-minute harangue where he twisted penalties into taxes. They were his repeated words. Kavanaugh cannot be trusted. He is a wolf in sheep's clothing.

Whoever you are quoting is lying to you.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    385 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Honestly, you aren’t a stupid guy. Why then do you say so many stupid things? Is it just the contrarian in you? Do you have this irrational need to always that you are the smartest guy in the room? That generally proves that you aren’t.
    If I was wrong, and I am not, you should be able to easily document that Scalia said something other than he did or that Kavanaugh did not argue with the attorney over a penalty being a tax. But you cannot because I am right. I posted Scalia's dissent and a link to it. I described what Kavanaugh argued.

But you are inclined to accept the second stringer.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    700 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It’s impissible to engage in a discusion with that dude. I’m going be forced to just ignore the ignorameous.

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdriveTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    MMC's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,163x in 27,727 Posts
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterVeritis View Post
    If I was misled it was by Kavanaugh. There are transcripts of his ten-minute harangue where he twisted penalties into taxes. They were his repeated words. Kavanaugh cannot be trusted. He is a wolf in sheep's clothing.

Whoever you are quoting is lying to you.

Clearly you are confused over Kavanaughs Dissent.

Kavanaugh was equally critical of the individual mandate under the weak Taxing Clause argument advanced by the government and catastrophically accepted by the Supreme Court. Kavanaugh explained that “no court to reach the merits has accepted the Government’s Taxing clause argument,” thereby showing his agreement with all the courts of appeals that correctly found the mandate unsustainable under that clause.

The Taxing Clause, he continued, “has not traditionally authorized a legal prohibition or mandate,” which Obamacare plainly contained. Contrary to Jacobs’ revisionist history, Kavanaugh’s Taxing Clause discussion is thus the opposite of a roadmap to upholding the statute under the Taxing Clause, as the Supreme Court ultimately did in its indefensible decision. Rather, Kavanaugh’s dismissal of the Taxing Clause argument is a roadmap to the conclusion reached by the dissenters—that the individual mandate is unconstitutional under the Taxing Clause.

To be sure, Kavanaugh suggested that a different statute without a mandate might pass muster under the Taxing Clause. But a statute without the mandate would not be Obamacare; it would be an entirely different law. Kavanaugh’s hypothetical discussion of a different statute without a mandate could not be a roadmap to upholding the statute with the mandate that was actually before the court.

A final point: Kavanaugh explained that waiting to resolve the challenge to Obamacare was not only required by law, but also the wise and judicially restrained course. There might never be a need to address the constitutionality of the mandate, he explained, because a future president (after the 2012 election) might choose not to enforce it. That suggestion triggered a furious response from liberal commentator Jeffrey Toobin in The New Yorker.

Moreover, Kavanaugh warned that rushing to resolve the constitutionality of Obamacare in 2012, rather than respecting the statutory limitations on the court’s authority, could result in an error in judgment. Kavanaugh was right.....snip~

http://thefederalist.com/2018/07/03/...nted-unlawful/

Quit listening to those few Never Trumpers…..they are nothing more than patsies for the Left.
    History does not long Entrust the care of Freedom, to the Weak or Timid!!!!! Dwight D. Eisenhower ~

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MMC For This Useful Post:

Captdon (07-11-2018),Tahuyaman (07-11-2018)

+ Reply to Thread