Just AnotherPerson's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,555x in 5,668 Posts
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It could be said that us having to go through metal detectors body scans and cavity searches and pat downs, are a form of terrorism These originate from original acts of terror, and then we out of fear pepetrate a life on our own citizens that remove our notions of privacy, and breach the barriers of own bodies being off limits to search. We have allowed our nation to become invasive. They did this on the premise of fear. We now live in a society were we are monitored 24-7, every word and thought recorded, and even the privacy of our own bodies and minds have been taken away from us.
    We are all brothers and sisters in humanity. We are all made from the same dust of stars. We cannot be separated because all life is interconnected.

Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 327
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Captdon's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,837x in 10,134 Posts
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just AnotherPerson View Post
    It could be said that us having to go through metal detectors body scans and cavity searches and pat downs, are a form of terrorism These originate from original acts of terror, and then we out of fear pepetrate a life on our own citizens that remove our notions of privacy, and breach the barriers of own bodies being off limits to search. We have allowed our nation to become invasive. They did this on the premise of fear. We now live in a society were we are monitored 24-7, every word and thought recorded, and even the privacy of our own bodies and minds have been taken away from us.
    No. Being scanned before a flight is not fear. I don't know anyone who fears it, They are pissed but not fearful. I don't know anyone who is fearful of these Islamic terrorists. Being careful is not fear.

I have a weapon or two in my home. I'm not afraid of an intruder. I am prepared for one. I have never fired a shot in my defense and i don't believe I ever will. i still have the means.

You put definitions for words that don't fit.
    Liberals are a clear and present danger to our nation
    Pick your enemies carefully.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Captdon For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (09-17-2018)

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captdon View Post
    No. Being scanned before a flight is not fear. I don't know anyone who fears it, They are pissed but not fearful. I don't know anyone who is fearful of these Islamic terrorists. Being careful is not fear.

I have a weapon or two in my home. I'm not afraid of an intruder. I am prepared for one. I have never fired a shot in my defense and i don't believe I ever will. i still have the means.

You put definitions for words that don't fit.
    You have misunderstood it is fear that is the cause of us having to loose our privacy and be subject to being scanned and searched. Because of fear of "so called" terror we have accepted the loss of privacy and the loss of our rights.
    We are all brothers and sisters in humanity. We are all made from the same dust of stars. We cannot be separated because all life is interconnected.

Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 508
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    littlejohn's Avatar Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 50x in 36 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common Sense View Post
    Terrorism is violence against civilians with the intention of creating fear to further a political goal.

Mass shootings can be terrorism, but unless there is a political motivation it's typically not called terrorism.
    Yayy! Great answer.

I strive to encourage the use of the word in it's historical definition, which strictly includes the notion of opinion shaping or political warfare.
    I also notice you used the word "typically," which I appreciate.

I lament and forgive innocent misuse, such as a describing bank robber who killed somebody while robbing, as a terrorist. No, that person is a bank robber. One could say that anything someone does that terrifies people will shape opinion, and that would be correct in itself. That however, dilutes the definition of a terrorist act as a tool or weapon used for the purpose of moving the needle on a specific viewpoint.

Contemporary equivocation of the words terrorist and terrorism is a much bigger issue, and not innocent in the least. That, I do not forgive and evangelize heavily against the practice.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to littlejohn For This Useful Post:

Lummy (09-18-2018)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by littlejohn View Post
    Yayy! Great answer.

I strive to encourage the use of the word in it's historical definition, which strictly includes the notion of opinion shaping or political warfare.
    I also notice you used the word "typically," which I appreciate.

I lament and forgive innocent misuse, such as a describing bank robber who killed somebody while robbing, as a terrorist. No, that person is a bank robber. One could say that anything someone does that terrifies people will shape opinion, and that would be correct in itself. That however, dilutes the definition of a terrorist act as a tool or weapon used for the purpose of moving the needle on a specific viewpoint.

Contemporary equivocation of the words terrorist and terrorism is a much bigger issue, and not innocent in the least. That, I do not forgive and evangelize heavily against the practice.
    I can appreciate that, but I think a lot of people who do acts of terror do it to send a message. Even a school shooter is trying to send a message to the whole nation. Mass public shooters are trying to send a message to the entire nation. A gang member does acts of violence many times to send a message to large groups of his community. But the act is not used to spread a message. But very often these violent acts are used to send a message to the nation. We will never know that message, because even if there was one, the law or media will not tell us about it. If they did, it would give people the idea that they can use mass violence to make their voices be heard. Overall these acts of terror have changed the viewpoints of us all, it is just that it is becoming commonplace.

Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 662
    Overall activity: 49.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,522x in 14,781 Posts
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Terrorism is violence against civilians with the intention of creating fear to further a political goal.

Mass shootings can be terrorism, but unless there is a political motivation it's typically not called terrorism.

Add the disclaimer "commited by someone other than the American government or her allis" to common's first sentence and you'll have our working definition since WW 2.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to donttread For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (09-18-2018),Standing Wolf (09-18-2018)

Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 266
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    zachroidott's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 566x in 460 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just AnotherPerson View Post
    @Chris, @Common Sense

Well, I do know that is the definition, but we ascribe the term terrorism even when it is just radical religion based terror. If a person with a religions ideal blows up a building as a suicide bomber we call them a terrorist even if it was not politically motivated.

I think we need to redefine the term. It has taken on new meaning.

Terrorism any act that inspires terror or fear in a person or group of people or community, or a nation, or the world. Terror is terror. That is just my opinion though, and I think something worth thinking about.
    Would that include speech or symbolic acts?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to zachroidott For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (09-18-2018)

Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 313
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Major Lambda's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 266x in 188 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do believe you hit the nail on the head. Events of terror to further and spread a political belief, and to control a populace.

Major Lambda
    Ab Extra & Sui Generis

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 1,132
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cletus's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 27,383x in 15,850 Posts
    Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I really wish people would stop misusing the word "terrorism" and its derivatives.

In the US, terrorism is actually defined by law. 18 U.S. Code, Part 1, Chapter 113B, subsection 2331 defines "terrorism".

"International Terrorism" is defined as activites which

(A) involve violent acts or acts dangerous to human life that are a violation of the criminal laws of the United States or of any State, or that would be a criminal violation if committed within the jurisdiction of the United States or of any State;
    (B) appear to be intended—

(i) to intimidate or coerce a civilian population;
    (ii)to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or
    (iii)to affectt the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination, or kidnapping; and
    (C) occur primarily outside the territorial jurisdiction of the United States, or transcend national boundaries in terms of the means by which they are accomplished, the persons they appear intended to intimidate or coerce, or the locale in which their perpetrators operate or seek asylum;

The term "Domestic Terrorism" is defined as activities
    (A) involve acts dangerous to human life that are a violation of the criminal laws of the United States or of any State;

(B) appear to be intended—

(i)to intimidate or coerce a civilian population;
    (ii)to influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; or
    (iii)to affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination, or kidnapping; and
    C. occur primarily within the territorial jurisdiction of the United States.
    “Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue.” - Barry Goldwater

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cletus For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (09-18-2018),Lummy (09-18-2018)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zachroidott View Post
    Would that include speech or symbolic acts?
    Well just a person talking out of anger about something couldn't be terrorism. But if you did have a really public figure who was inciting others to violence like for them to rise up and overthrow their nation. Or asking them to harm others. I would consider that a form of being a terrorist, but not terrorism yet perse.

Along time ago I listed to a youtuber a few times and he had a lot of viewers and he was constantly telling his subs to rise up and shed blood in the streets. He was literally inciting terrorism. Like Alex Jones he almost was just as bad, he would constantly tell people how long are you going to take these lies? You need to rise up and take your nation back. He was insisting on war and revolution and spilling of blood on our own soil. I think he has future potential to be on a terrorist list.

That being said I still don't agree with how he got shut down. We bypassed the correct way of dealing with things, and went straight for taking away his rights. I do not agree with what they did. It just makes me see what is coming for the rest of us, if they would do it to someone so public, then it will be much worse for us.

They could have just told him that he can stay on the air as long as he doesn't tell people to bring civil war to their nation, don't incite terrorism. If you can follow that simple rule you can talk all the vile hate you want. It is not a crime to be angry at the people leading your nation, it is your right, because it is our nation.

+ Reply to Thread