User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Back from my self-imposed 30 day break...it was nice.

Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 2,596
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Cotton1's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 24,717x in 16,157 Posts
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    My youngest son is a big Hunter S. Thompson fan, but has never seen Murray in Where the Buffalo Roam, so I got the DVD earlier this week and plan to watch it with him this weekend. I'd never heard Thompson speak till some years after seeing that film; till I heard HST, I had no idea how well Murray had mimicked his manic mumble.
    I appreciate Thompsons work in "Gonzo" journalism, his creativity and his open frankness. As for his " manic mumble?" I assume by his exploits he was bi polar X 10 so I understand his " mumble". Being bi polar is a blessing and a curse. Mot a " mixed blessing" because its usually one or the other. People say " you talk too fast , you mumble sometimes" etc to me. My remark is usually " think faster then". As a bi polar there are timesvthings are good the meds are okie dokie etc. There are other times it just is what it is. You live paet of your life over the rainbow and part of it under the same rainbow. When it gets tricky is in the societal norm middle. Thats a place a bi polar doesnt understand. The upside is in my work being bi polar gave me times when I could do amazing things. Even as a stockbroker I never used a calculator. I didnt need one. I can see the numbers in my mind. Im not that proficient on a calculator. I dont trust my inputs as much as my self. Brb
    I'm yo.
    This my brother yo
    We yo yo

Level completed: 19%, Points required for next Level: 2,596
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteran
    Cotton1's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 24,717x in 16,157 Posts
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotton1 View Post
    I appreciate Thompsons work in "Gonzo" journalism, his creativity and his open frankness. As for his " manic mumble?" I assume by his exploits he was bi polar X 10 so I understand his " mumble". Being bi polar is a blessing and a curse. Mot a " mixed blessing" because its usually one or the other. People say " you talk too fast , you mumble sometimes" etc to me. My remark is usually " think faster then". As a bi polar there are timesvthings are good the meds are okie dokie etc. There are other times it just is what it is. You live paet of your life over the rainbow and part of it under the same rainbow. When it gets tricky is in the societal norm middle. Thats a place a bi polar doesnt understand. The upside is in my work being bi polar gave me times when I could do amazing things. Even as a stockbroker I never used a calculator. I didnt need one. I can see the numbers in my mind. Im not that proficient on a calculator. I dont trust my inputs as much as my self. Brb
    As a bi polar you spend a lot of energy in creative endeavors etc. As for me there are not a lot of math minds that enjoy creative endeabors as much as I and vice versa but thats their problem. A bi polar finds his greatest victories and defeats within the bi polar realm. I have a lot to be proud of but a lot of regrets too. As for Thompson? I appreciate him and understand him. However, he is such a self centered degenerate pig it disturbs me
    I'm yo.
    This my brother yo
    We yo yo

Level completed: 7%, Points required for next Level: 2,150
    Overall activity: 44.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,270x in 12,392 Posts
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenjaminO View Post
    Roy Rogers, Bonanza, The Rifleman, Paladin-Have Gun Will Travel, Wagon Train, Gene Autry, The Lone Ranger and Tonto, Rawhide.
    Did I miss any? ....
    Bronco, Cheyenne, Sugarfoot, Wyatt Earp, Bat Masterson, Maverick, The Rebel, Laramie, Branded, Range Rider...just the ones I remember.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 1,118
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Retirednsmilin308's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,826x in 3,490 Posts
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've found myself watching a lot of Westerns the past couple of years. I catch them on GRIT, and also I buy many DVDs, either on Amazon or for 1 to 3 bucks at a thrift store or Zia Records. A couple of days ago, I picked up Rio Grande, Rio Lobo, Chisum, and several other John Wayne films, widescreen format and still in the factory shrink wrap for $2.99 each at one of the local Goodwill stores.

Love me some Randolph Scott.

There have been some pretty good Westerns made in recent years, but the older ones have got something special. My son the film buff recommended The Assassination of Jesse James By the Coward Robert Ford, and I was not impressed; too grim and depressing, but mostly just a few guys standing around talking. I also recently watched Bone Tomahawk, because I like Kurt Russell. (Don't. Just don't.) The remake of The Magnificent Seven was pretty good, but it can't compare with the 1960 original.

I think i saw Bone Tomahawk. Was that the one with the Troglodites?
    When it is not allowed to be questioned, it is not science, it is PROPAGANDA

Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 1,118
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Retirednsmilin308's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,826x in 3,490 Posts
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by silvereyes View Post
    Ohhhh, I should!

It is a comedy so don't worry.
    When it is not allowed to be questioned, it is not science, it is PROPAGANDA

Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 1,008
    Overall activity: 0.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Private Pickle's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,114x in 9,773 Posts
    Mentioned
    307 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've found myself watching a lot of Westerns the past couple of years. I catch them on GRIT, and also I buy many DVDs, either on Amazon or for 1 to 3 bucks at a thrift store or Zia Records. A couple of days ago, I picked up Rio Grande, Rio Lobo, Chisum, and several other John Wayne films, widescreen format and still in the factory shrink wrap for $2.99 each at one of the local Goodwill stores.

There have been some pretty good Westerns made in recent years, but the older ones have got something special. My son the film buff recommended The Assassination of Jesse James By the Coward Robert Ford, and I was not impressed; too grim and depressing, but mostly just a few guys standing around talking. I also recently watched Bone Tomahawk, because I like Kurt Russell. (Don't. Just don't.) The remake of The Magnificent Seven was pretty good, but it can't compare with the 1960 original.
    Long Riders.
    I find your lack of faith...disturbing...

-Darth Vader

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retirednsmilin308 View Post
    I think i saw Bone Tomahawk. Was that the one with the Troglodites?
    Oh Hell yes. Some scenes, like the one where they're butchering the deputy alive, are really tough to get out of your head.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

Retirednsmilin308 (11-24-2019)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Private Pickle View Post
    Long Riders.
    You mean the film that featured all the brothers...the Carradines, the Keaches, the Guests and the Quaids? I have never seen that one, but I'd like to sometime.

Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 1,008
    Overall activity: 0.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Private Pickle's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,114x in 9,773 Posts
    Mentioned
    307 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You mean the film that featured all the brothers...the Carradines, the Keaches, the Guests and the Quaids? I have never seen that one, but I'd like to sometime.
    Yup. My favorite Western.
    I find your lack of faith...disturbing...

-Darth Vader

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 795
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cletus's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 27,485x in 15,900 Posts
    Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I liked Bone Tomahawk. It was... different.

I have to say my all time favorite western is Open Range with Costner and Duvall.
    “Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue.” - Barry Goldwater

+ Reply to Thread