User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: U.S. Objects to breastfeeding resolution - scientific consensus until Russia supports

Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 2,853
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,935x in 8,813 Posts
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

U.S. Objects to breastfeeding resolution - scientific consensus until Russia supports

U.S. OBJECTS TO BREASTFEEDING RESOLUTION WITH SCIENTIFIC CONSENSUS, UNTIL RUSSIA SUPPORTS IT
    BY PAUL LEBLANC ON 7/8/18 AT 3:55 PM

The Trump administration shocked global health officials when it pushed back on decades of scientific research that recognized breast milk as the healthiest option for babies.

At the United Nations World Health Assembly this spring officials from the United States held up a resolution designed to promote breastfeeding by attempting to remove specific language according to The New York Times.

U.S. officials sought to remove language that called on governments to “protect, promote and support breastfeeding” as well as a separate section that called for governments to restrict the promotion of products that experts agree could cause harm to children.

According to the Times, U.S. officials threatened harmful trade practices against Ecuador, which planned to introduce the initiative, unless it withdrew it. “We were astonished, appalled and also saddened,” Patti Rundall, the policy director of the British advocacy group Baby Milk Action told the Times of the U.S. actions. “What happened was tantamount to blackmail, with the U.S. holding the world hostage and trying to overturn nearly 40 years of consensus on the best way to protect infant and young child health.”

An Ecuadorian official added, “We were shocked because we didn’t understand how such a small matter like breastfeeding could provoke such a dramatic response.”

U.S. opposition to the resolution ended, however, when Russia introduced the measure. Officials from the U.S. did not challenge Russia despite threatening Ecuador for introducing the same measure. "We feel that it is wrong when a big country tries to push around some very small countries," a Russian delegate told the Times of Russia's decision to introduce the resolution.
    http://www.newsweek.com/us-breastfee...health-1013327

I'm not sure what's more disturbing here - the fact that anyone rejects the notion that babies are better off with mother's milk (given that we were designed to be fed that way) or the fact that the U.S. would threaten a tiny country like Ecuador for introducing it and Russia would have to stand up for them.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

IMPress Polly (07-10-2018)

Level completed: 4%, Points required for next Level: 675
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveVeteran5000 Experience Points
    DLLS's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 547x in 344 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I demand equal rights. If a baby gets to suck on a woman's tits in public I should be allowed to also, whether she objects or not.
    “I swear by my life and my love of it that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.”
    — Atlas Shrugged (Part 3, Chapter 1, Page 731)

"The man who speaks to you of sacrifice, speaks of slaves and masters. And intends to be the master."
    — The Fountainhead (Part 4, Chapter 14, Page 637)

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 68.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,062x in 24,886 Posts
    Mentioned
    887 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DLLS View Post
    I demand equal rights. If a baby gets to suck on a woman's tits in public I should be allowed to also, whether she objects or not.
    warning

Warning

@DLLS Rule 11 Violation Warning. On The Serious Side posts require:

11. "On the Serious Side" is intended for serious discussion free of flamebait trolling, off-topic distractions and personal attacks. Somewhat like tPF, OP reports will carry added weight to forum rule moderation, but moderators will decide when and how to act. Most likely such actions will be at minimum to thread ban the poster and remove the distracting post, but additional action could be taken, and frequent violators will be infracted.

If you have questions or concerns about this moderation action, please use the Report button to let us know.
    Last edited by DGUtley; 07-09-2018 at 07:06 PM.
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

DLLS (07-09-2018),IMPress Polly (07-10-2018)

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 2,012
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassCreated Album picturesYour first GroupRecommendation First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Adelaide's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,449x in 11,739 Posts
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Ecuador isn't a threat - easy pickings. They wouldn't be able to defend themselves from blackmail. Russia, on the other hand, wouldn't give two tits what the U.S. does to them at this point, beyond possible retribution.

I agree with promoting breastfeeding, absolutely, but I feel like sometimes that promotion shames mothers who can't for some reason.

Achievements:
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adelaide View Post
    Ecuador isn't a threat - easy pickings. They wouldn't be able to defend themselves from blackmail. Russia, on the other hand, wouldn't give two tits what the U.S. does to them at this point, beyond possible retribution.

I agree with promoting breastfeeding, absolutely, but I feel like sometimes that promotion shames mothers who can't for some reason.
    What I don't understand is why? Why act like breastfeeding is some new scientific theory, rather than the way our species survived since the beginning and why threaten Ecuador because they want to encourage breastfeeding. Wait, I think I have the answer - Big Pharma. It just occurred to me that baby formulas are manufactured by pharmaceutical companies. More women breastfeeding means less women buying formula. It makes no sense otherwise.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

tPF Moderator
    Overall activity: 68.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,062x in 24,886 Posts
    Mentioned
    887 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    What I don't understand is why? Why act like breastfeeding is some new scientific theory, rather than the way our species survived since the beginning and why threaten Ecuador because they want to encourage breastfeeding. Wait, I think I have the answer - Big Pharma. It just occurred to me that baby formulas are manufactured by pharmaceutical companies. More women breastfeeding means less women buying formula. It makes no sense otherwise.
    i tend to agree but I don’t agree on shaming women that can’t breastfeed. Mrs U could not and was made to feel inadequate or cheater by the super moms.
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

Captdon (07-10-2018),Common (07-10-2018)

Achievements:
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGUtley View Post
    i tend to agree but I don’t agree on shaming women that can’t breastfeed. Mrs U could not and was made to feel inadequate or cheater by the super moms.
    I disagree with shaming women who can't breastfeed and there are many, but for those who can, it's the best thing for the baby in terms of digestion and immunities. Furthermore, think of the savings in formula alone? Also, regurgitated breastmilk doesn't leave nasty stains on the baby's clothing like formula does.

Mahatma Gandhi

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

DGUtley (07-10-2018)

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 2,012
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassCreated Album picturesYour first GroupRecommendation First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Adelaide's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,449x in 11,739 Posts
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I agree, but I think that sometimes certain environments really almost shame mothers who can't/don't breastfeed. I'm thinking of Facebook, where my generation of new-age-hippie-moms who think saying "no" is abusive cram breastfeeding down the throats of everyone who doesn't do it til age 5. I feel bad for the women who can't. Then again, a lot of people are so ridiculous about a woman breastfeeding in public. Women can't win.

It wouldn't surprise me if it were an issue of a special interest group. All about the money.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Adelaide For This Useful Post:

Captdon (07-10-2018),DGUtley (07-10-2018),Dr. Who (07-09-2018)

Achievements:
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adelaide View Post
    I agree, but I think that sometimes certain environments really almost shame mothers who can't/don't breastfeed. I'm thinking of Facebook, where my generation of new-age-hippie-moms who think saying "no" is abusive cram breastfeeding down the throats of everyone who doesn't do it til age 5. I feel bad for the women who can't. Then again, a lot of people are so ridiculous about a woman breastfeeding in public. Women can't win.

It wouldn't surprise me if it were an issue of a special interest group. All about the money.
    I agree - people go way too far. Ultimately it's a matter of choice or no choice for the mother. For those who can, it's about letting them know the benefits for the baby. I also think that breastfeeding until age five is nuts. The first six months gives baby its immunities and let's face it many women have to work, so prolonged breastfeeding can be a hardship. I'm sure expressing milk at work is a real treat, not to mention finding a sanitary but private location to do so.

Mahatma Gandhi

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

Captdon (07-10-2018)

Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,315x in 10,924 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I disagree with shaming women who can't breastfeed and there are many, but for those who can, it's the best thing for the baby in terms of digestion and immunities. Furthermore, think of the savings in formula alone? Also, regurgitated breastmilk doesn't leave nasty stains on the baby's clothing like formula does.
    My wife breast fed the first two and could not the rest, personally they say its better but I see no difference in my kids and they were and are all healthy.

Id like to say this yes women breast fed forever and its natural but women used to walk around with no clothes and get forced to their knees by males at will too. Times change more's change the way we do things change.

I very very much believe in a womens right to breastfeed but they should take it upon themselves to be discreet as they can in modern society and not just plop down and pullem out just because they can
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Common For This Useful Post:

Captdon (07-10-2018)

+ Reply to Thread