Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

San Francisco is first US city to ban facial recognition

1a1237.jpg

See more at the link https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-48276660

Excerpt:

Legislators in San Francisco have voted to ban the use of facial recognition, the first US city to do so.

The emerging technology will not be allowed to be used by local agencies, such as the city’s transport authority, or law enforcement.

Additionally, any plans to buy any kind of new surveillance technology must now be approved by city administrators.

Opponents of the measure said it will put people’s safety at risk and hinder efforts to fight crime.

Those in favour of the move said the technology as it exists today is unreliable, and represented an unnecessary infringement on people’s privacy and liberty.
    We are all brothers and sisters in humanity. We are all made from the same dust of stars. We cannot be separated because all life is interconnected.

Level completed: 1%, Points required for next Level: 3,963
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,646x in 14,858 Posts
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just AnotherPerson View Post
    Attachment 25983

Excerpt:

Legislators in San Francisco have voted to ban the use of facial recognition, the first US city to do so.

The emerging technology will not be allowed to be used by local agencies, such as the city’s transport authority, or law enforcement.

Additionally, any plans to buy any kind of new surveillance technology must now be approved by city administrators.

Opponents of the measure said it will put people’s safety at risk and hinder efforts to fight crime.

Those in favour of the move said the technology as it exists today is unreliable, and represented an unnecessary infringement on people’s privacy and liberty.
    A set back for big brother!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to donttread For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (05-15-2019)

Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 264
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    Collateral Damage's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,872x in 4,196 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just AnotherPerson View Post
    Attachment 25983
    Excerpt:
    Good. Walking on a street should not invalidate the expectation of privacy in one's person.

I'm sure it will be a matter of time when certain authoritative groups feel audio recording the public will be an acceptable practice, right Siri?
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." -- James Madison

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Collateral Damage For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 2,162
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,265x in 12,388 Posts
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Collateral Damage View Post
    Good. Walking on a street should not invalidate the expectation of privacy in one's person....

How, exactly, does one go about walking on a public street while maintaining an expectation that - in this case - your face will not be seen or recorded by a camera?

We're talking about a person's face - not the contents of their pockets or the information stored on their cellphone.

I am as staunch an advocate as you will ever find when it comes to the protection of the individuals citizen's genuine Constitutional rights...but I must confess that this move puzzles me.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

Captdon (05-15-2019)

Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 264
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    Collateral Damage's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,872x in 4,196 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post

How, exactly, does one go about walking on a public street while maintaining an expectation that - in this case - your face will not be seen or recorded by a camera?
    We're talking about a person's face - not the contents of their pockets or the information stored on their cellphone.
    I am as staunch an advocate as you will ever find when it comes to the protection of the individuals citizen's genuine Constitutional rights...but I must confess that this move puzzles me.

Being 'caught' while passing a business on a security camera is not my reference point. Having my face/person zoomed in on while in a public area, and the image stored for recognition purposes for future use, is.
    "I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedom of the people by gradual and silent encroachments by those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations." -- James Madison

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Collateral Damage For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 2,210
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Just AnotherPerson's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,555x in 5,668 Posts
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donttread View Post
    A set back for big brother!
    LoL
    We are all brothers and sisters in humanity. We are all made from the same dust of stars. We cannot be separated because all life is interconnected.

+ Reply to Thread