Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,526x in 14,783 Posts
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

FIFA Women's Soccer

So the wife and I have watched a fair amount of the American Women's Team's run for the the tittle so to speak. They are a very talented group and as usual the goal scorers get the headlines but their team defence and goal tending seem to be why they are where they are. I'm aware that UK may have out played us and that a half step and an imperfect penalty kick ( still an awesome save) were a lot of luck. But almost all champions need the breaks.
    So here's my beef with the game. It seems like on almost every play where one of the women falls they writhe "in pain" but almost always are 100% when the ball goes back in play. My friend assures me that the men are the same. It detracts from the game and should be discouraged, like the NFL does. If you slow the game with an injury you must leave for at least one play. In soccer we could say 2 minutes of game time. Or our best guess as to game time. LOL
    Does anyone else notice this?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to donttread For This Useful Post:

pragmatic (07-03-2019)

Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 761
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,101x in 12,289 Posts
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donttread View Post
    So the wife and I have watched a fair amount of the American Women's Team's run for the the tittle so to speak. They are a very talented group and as usual the goal scorers get the headlines but their team defence and goal tending seem to be why they are where they are. I'm aware that UK may have out played us and that a half step and an imperfect penalty kick ( still an awesome save) were a lot of luck. But almost all champions need the breaks.
    So here's my beef with the game. It seems like on almost every play where one of the women falls they writhe "in pain" but almost always are 100% when the ball goes back in play. My friend assures me that the men are the same. It detracts from the game and should be discouraged, like the NFL does. If you slow the game with an injury you must leave for at least one play. In soccer we could say 2 minutes of game time. Or our best guess as to game time. LOL
    I have never watched a soccer game in my life, but even I have heard of the problem of certain players who are well known for (I think they call it) "flopping" - something like that.

And I have heard calls for penalties to be given to the guys who do that all the time, though - not being a fan - I have no idea whether or not such penalties exist. It doesn't surprise me that the women do it, too.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

donttread (07-04-2019)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdriveSocial
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Tahuyaman's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 77,016x in 55,630 Posts
    Mentioned
    701 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    I have never watched a soccer game in my life, but even I have heard of the problem of certain players who are well known for (I think they call it) "flopping" - something like that.

And I have heard calls for penalties to be given to the guys who do that all the time, though - not being a fan - I have no idea whether or not such penalties exist. It doesn't surprise me that the women do it, too.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Tahuyaman For This Useful Post:

donttread (07-04-2019)

Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 443
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteranSocial50000 Experience Points
    Beevee's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,826x in 1,454 Posts
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, thank you. The last thing I would want to see as a life long soccer fan is the adoption of American systems for dealing with cheating.
    The best way to deal with it is to introduce for one season a 'red card' for any player who simulates an injury and dock them one weeks wages.
    That would kill it overnight.

Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 385
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    pragmatic's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,754x in 1,199 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree. The practice is almost comedic to watch.

Requiring the player to sit out for some set period of time (1 minute?) seems like a viable suggestion. Am curious why nothing like that is currently in the rules?

Volvo

“Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.”

9. The Following User Says Thank You to pragmatic For This Useful Post:

donttread (07-04-2019)

Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 385
    Overall activity: 3.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassVeteran10000 Experience Points
    pragmatic's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,754x in 1,199 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beevee View Post
    No, thank you. The last thing I would want to see as a life long soccer fan is the adoption of American systems for dealing with cheating.
    The best way to deal with it is to introduce for one season a 'red card' for any player who simulates an injury and dock them one weeks wages.
    That would kill it overnight.
    Your solution would require some sort of conclusive proof that the player was "faking it". Which would be near impossible to do.

It would cause far more disruption/confusion than it would remedy.

Volvo

“Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.”

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pragmatic View Post
    Your solution would require some sort of conclusive proof that the player was "faking it". Which would be near impossible to do.

It would cause far more disruption/confusion than it would remedy.
    Not so. The present system relies on the physio of the country or club to deal with the problem on the field of play. That creates bias. Better an independant is employed by the appropriate federations to deal with it. It's not as if they don't have the money to do it.

It works in tennis.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pragmatic View Post
    Agree. The practice is almost comedic to watch.

Requiring the player to sit out for some set period of time (1 minute?) seems like a viable suggestion. Am curious why nothing like that is currently in the rules?
    Because supporters wouldn't stand for it. The American way is not always the best way.

Level completed: 67%, Points required for next Level: 761
    Overall activity: 46.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,101x in 12,289 Posts
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Beevee View Post
    Because supporters wouldn't stand for it. The American way is not always the best way.
    So do fans in other countries like the dramatics? A little telenovela ​action on the soccer field?
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    So do fans in other countries like the dramatics? A little telenovela ​action on the soccer field?
    You won't see much of it in Europe. I'm not saying it doesn't exist but the supporter would rather go without the dramatics and concentrate on the players skills.

+ Reply to Thread