Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,031x in 1,735 Posts
    Mentioned
    204 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why I am not a republican

Just thought I would post this here because this is gonna be way off topic from my original post.
    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    A lot of people care.....as anyone should have the Right to face their accuser. If you and other leftists are so so concerned for the WB. Then put him in protective custody. That would be a witness protection program. Which by the way worked for the FBI against Mob informants. So all that touchy emotional Bull$#@! about the WB. Is nothing more than a lame excuse about his possible fate.
    BTW, To be honest I don't really consider myself a lefty or a righty. I just pay attention to policy.
    I don't like denying women freedom to control their body,
    I think a wall will be a huge waste of money (technology would be more cost effective),
    I don't think giving tax breaks to millionaires and billionaires will be good for me personally, or anyone else,
    I don't think more coal mines will help stave off climate change,
    I don't think it's ok to normalize attacking the free press. We should all be terrified by this.
    I don't think --as I showed in my other post-- that Trump really changed the trajectory of our economy for the better,
    I don't think it's ok for Trump to leak code word classified information to Russians in the oval office (FFS),
    or to destroy U.S. reputation by abandoning allies in Syria (and neither do republicans).
    I think that if Canada and most (all?) all other industrialized countries can effect universal health care, then the U.S. can.

I think most of these things shouldn't be tied to the left philosphy but they are. So call me left. for now.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheLiquidGuy For This Useful Post:

Safety (11-13-2019),silvereyes (11-21-2019),Trish (11-13-2019)

Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 327
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Captdon's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,837x in 10,134 Posts
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mamooth strikes again.
    Liberals are a clear and present danger to our nation
    Pick your enemies carefully.

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,590x in 94,419 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not a republican for the same reason I am not a democrat. Both parties are hell bent on spending the USD into a complete collapse.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

5. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Admiral Ackbar (11-19-2019),Chris (11-13-2019),Collateral Damage (11-14-2019),donttread (11-23-2019),gamewell45 (11-13-2019),Retirednsmilin308 (11-20-2019),silvereyes (11-21-2019)

Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 220
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Trish's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,754x in 2,330 Posts
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLiquidGuy View Post
    Just thought I would post this here because this is gonna be way off topic from my original post.

BTW, To be honest I don't really consider myself a lefty or a righty. I just pay attention to policy.
    I think a wall will be a huge waste of money (technology would be more cost effective),
    I don't think giving tax breaks to millionaires and billionaires will be good for me personally, or anyone else,
    I don't think it's ok to normalize attacking the free press. We should all be terrified by this.
    I don't think --as I showed in my other post-- that Trump really changed the trajectory of our economy for the better,
    I don't think it's ok for Trump to leak code word classified information to Russians in the oval office (FFS),
    or to destroy U.S. reputation by abandoning allies in Syria (and neither do republicans).
    I think that if Canada and most (all?) all other industrialized countries can effect universal health care, then the U.S. can.

I think most of these things shouldn't be tied to the left philosphy but they are. So call me left. for now.
    Hear, hear! I am called a lefty now as well.

Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 824
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album picturesSocial10000 Experience Points
    Rationalist's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,992x in 1,378 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The mainstream press is kind of a joke at this point. It's hard to tell the difference between state run media and officially private media that broadcasts what the deep state prefers. Granted, this isn't just an American problem. The mainstream press in most of the West in general is like this. Media corporations usually are in bed with established government interests.

This becomes even more blatant with digital media. It's public knowledge that Google has government contracts connected with intelligence agencies and with the Chinese government. Facebook is getting a lot of pressure from various governments to do their bidding, which they've obliged in most cases. Twitter has some skeletons of its own as well.

So, it's not really a free press in the original spirit of that phrase. The job of a lot of mainstream media is not to inform but to propagandize and datamine citizens.

They deserve the criticism they get for their bias and their cozy relations with government.

As far as Syria goes, a lot of the same people demanding we leave Syria suddenly changed their tone and said we were deserting the Kurds. It's pretty clear that it wouldn't matter what action Trump took on that conflict -- they would find a reason to complain.

Trump has handled Syria in a far less escalated way than most other politicians would have. Now that Russia has taken the lead, things have calmed down some. I'd rather they have the burden of babysitting the region.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Rationalist For This Useful Post:

The Sage of Main Street (11-14-2019)

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,590x in 94,419 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What free press? Who is doing actual reporting?
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

goodpen (11-18-2019),Rationalist (11-13-2019)

Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 824
    Achievements:
    VeteranCreated Album picturesSocial10000 Experience Points
    Rationalist's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,992x in 1,378 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captdon View Post
    Mamooth strikes again.
    I don't think it's mamooth. Whenever I challenged mamooth, he was usually incapable of defending his views without going ad hominem. This guy seems to actually debate.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rationalist For This Useful Post:

silvereyes (11-21-2019),TheLiquidGuy (11-13-2019)

Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdriveSocial
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Tahuyaman's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 76,990x in 55,612 Posts
    Mentioned
    700 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Those are all simply left wing talking points. It would be referencing to get a new liberal member here who wasn't a DNC cliché machine.

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,723
    Achievements:
    VeteranSocial50000 Experience Points
    gamewell45's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,568x in 4,623 Posts
    Mentioned
    249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rationalist View Post
    The mainstream press is kind of a joke at this point. It's hard to tell the difference between state run media and officially private media that broadcasts what the deep state prefers. Granted, this isn't just an American problem. The mainstream press in most of the West in general is like this. Media corporations usually are in bed with established government interests.

This becomes even more blatant with digital media. It's public knowledge that Google has government contracts connected with intelligence agencies and with the Chinese government. Facebook is getting a lot of pressure from various governments to do their bidding, which they've obliged in most cases. Twitter has some skeletons of its own as well.

So, it's not really a free press in the original spirit of that phrase. The job of a lot of mainstream media is not to inform but to propagandize and datamine citizens.

They deserve the criticism they get for their bias and their cozy relations with government.

As far as Syria goes, a lot of the same people demanding we leave Syria suddenly changed their tone and said we were deserting the Kurds. It's pretty clear that it wouldn't matter what action Trump took on that conflict -- they would find a reason to complain.

Trump has handled Syria in a far less escalated way than most other politicians would have. Now that Russia has taken the lead, things have calmed down some. I'd rather they have the burden of babysitting the region.
    A majority of the blame can be placed upon capitalism; Media companies are in business to make a profit for the shareholders; ever since the deregulation of the airwaves objective reporting has spiraled downward. High ratings = larger dividends for the shareholders and larger bonuses for the executives; all else is secondary.
    God Bless America, God Bless our Military and God Bless the Police who defended the country against the insurgents on January 6, 2021

Think 3rd party for 2024 folks. Clean up America.

Once I tell you that we agree to disagree there will be no more discussion between us in the thread so please don't waste your time continuing to argue your points because I will not respond.

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 74
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassVeteran
    Safety's Avatar Nationalist
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 22,901x in 15,599 Posts
    Mentioned
    1237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahuyaman View Post
    Those are all simply left wing talking points. It would be referencing to get a new liberal member here who wasn't a DNC cliché machine.
    It would be nice to have current conservative members understand the difference between "refreshing" and "referencing".
    “Conscientiously believing that the proper condition of the negro is slavery, or a complete subjection to the white man, and entertaining the belief that the day is not distant when the old Union will be restored with slavery nationally declared to be the proper condition of all of African descent, and in view of the future harmony and progress of all the States of America, I have been induced to issue this address, so that there may be no misunderstanding in the future”

- Jefferson Davis

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Safety For This Useful Post:

silvereyes (11-21-2019)

+ Reply to Thread