User Tag List

View Poll Results: How often should town halls be held?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Once a month

5 35.71%
  • Only by member request

4 28.57%
  • Don't care

5 35.71%
Closed Thread
Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: First 2018 Advisor Town Hall

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 83.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    MisterVeritis's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,249x in 27,870 Posts
    Mentioned
    385 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bethere View Post
    We weren't enthusiastic about Common being named either. But we left him alone, as you should have done with Crepitus.

I'm not wild about Common flooding the forum with threads, but I think he has moderated his other behavior noticeably. If you had an open mind you'd be able to say the same about my friend Crepitus.

Adding both at the same time was an attempt at balance.
    I like Common's threads. It is one reason I continue to come here.
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MisterVeritis For This Useful Post:

HawkTheSlayer (01-14-2018),silvereyes (01-22-2018),Tricia (01-11-2018)

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    385 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    To clarify point one, even such feedback as that's a dumb idea would be something, though I'd expect some explanation, a sentence or two.
    I proposed that someone be responsible for growing the board. I was uniformly laughed at. But, it appears my suggestion was acted upon.

No one thought to thank me.

I once heard a story, a true story, about a man who gave a seven-figure contribution to a do-gooder group. No one in that organization asked him how he would like to be thanked. That is how it is here.
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    385 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    I totally agree. As an Advisor I am even more restrained than a regular member, so once the more neutral topics have been posted during the day when I am working, what's left once I get home, I don't feel comfortable posting or they don't interest me in the least or if they do, they are unlikely to interest anyone else.
    We are on the opposite side of every issue. I suggest you post topics that you are passionate about. I am the only one I know that likes to eat oatmeal. Don't post oatmeal.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    385 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey, I've been accused of posting a wall of words and TBH I do that so that I don't say anything too directly, lest someone think that I'm a troll for having a differing opinion or daring to contradict the dogpile.
    Use more white space.
    Summarize. Make your own points. I will engage. Isn't that the point?

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    385 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cletus View Post
    Suggestion... Instead of these silly assed "thread bans", which do more to kill threads than the people supposedly disrupting them, impose a 12 or 24 hour ban from the thread and allow the person banned to reenter the tread after the time has passed. That gives enough time for the poster accused of being disruptive to calm down and contribute to the thread again instead of just being kept out of the discussion.
    This is an excellent suggestion.

Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 1,327
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    OverdriveSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    resister's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 10,122x in 7,595 Posts
    Mentioned
    264 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bethere View Post
    We weren't enthusiastic about Common being named either. But we left him alone, as you should have done with Crepitus.

I'm not wild about Common flooding the forum with threads, but I think he has moderated his other behavior noticeably. If you had an open mind you'd be able to say the same about my friend Crepitus.

Adding both at the same time was an attempt at balance.
    Has Common ever posted 3 threads in TWO MINUTES?
    @Bob the Slob has
    There is no God but Resister and Refugee is his messenger’.

Book of Democrat Things, Chapter 1:1

Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 2,853
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,934x in 8,812 Posts
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterVeritis View Post
    Use more white space.
    Summarize. Make your own points. I will engage. Isn't that the point?
    Yeah. I could use more white space, but often there isn't a great place to separate my thoughts.

Most of what I post is all my own points, which is why some people harass me for links, but it depends on the topic. I can summarize, but then it lacks nuance and comes across as aggressive or arrogant. I'm trying to encourage discussion, not just reaction.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

silvereyes (01-22-2018)

Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,315x in 10,924 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah. I could use more white space, but often there isn't a great place to separate my thoughts.

Most of what I post is all my own points, which is why some people harass me for links, but it depends on the topic. I can summarize, but then it lacks nuance and comes across as aggressive or arrogant. I'm trying to encourage discussion, not just reaction.
    Youre too smart for most of us Doc, I love to watch you and chris go at it, I stay the hell out of it because I can never figure out what you two are talking about but I read it
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Common For This Useful Post:

Green Arrow (01-11-2018),silvereyes (01-22-2018)

Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 2,853
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,934x in 8,812 Posts
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cletus View Post
    It is not opposing opinions that are the problem. It is blatant dishonesty.
    This whole business of lies vs truth is highly subjective. For instance, where you choose to believe the political spin doctors because you are a Trump supporter, others choose to believe the cynical political naysayers because they are not Trump supporters. It's not like there is a great deal of objective evidence to work from unless Trump has tweeted something.

Most of what is posted is opinion and from a statistical perspective, either side may be right half of the time. If Trump is being investigated for any number of things, since the content of the investigation is not available, no one can claim that they have truth on their side. All they have is opinion and no basis for accusing others of lying.

People see things through their own unique perspectives. You can challenge their perceptions, but calling them blatantly dishonest assumes that they are deliberately trying to lie. How would they benefit from those supposed lies? They don't get paid to post and they aren't signing up membership to a political party. They have no reason to lie. They might be wrong, but they are not lying.
    Last edited by Dr. Who; 01-11-2018 at 10:17 PM.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

Green Arrow (01-11-2018)

Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,315x in 10,924 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This whole business of lies vs truth is highly subjective. For instance, where you choose to believe the political spin doctors because you are a Trump supporter, others choose to believe the cynical political naysayers because they are not Trump supporters. It's not like there is a great deal of objective evidence to work from unless Trump has tweeted something.

Most of what is posted is opinion and from a statistical perspective, either side may be right half of the time. If Trump is being investigated for any number of things, since the content of the investigation is not available, no one can claim that they have truth on their side. All they have is opinion and no basis for accusing others of lying.

People see things through their own unique perspectives. You can challenge their perceptions, but calling them blatantly dishonest assumes that they are deliberately trying to lie. How would they benefit from those supposed lies? They don't get paid to post, they aren't signing up membership to a political party. They have no reason to lie. They might be wrong, but they are not lying.
    I think what cletus is referring too is basically the media that has been proven to be doing alot of lieing about trump. Then members post that here as truth and they defend it, and thats taken as dishonest, both the left and right here are guilty of never admitting much of the time when theyve been proven wrong and that makes for the appearance of dishonesty.
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

Closed Thread