Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,244x in 949 Posts
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you overburden yourself?

I have been banned from AskReddit for asking many strange questions. In some of them I asked people whether they are electric locomotives:
    Do you consider yourself an electric locomotive?
    Can you prove that you are not an electric locomotive?
    Does you boss mistake you for an electric locomotive?
    Does your family mistake you for an electric locomotive?
    These question seem odd, but in reality many people including myself have made a mistake of considering themselves electric locomotives. Many people fail to accomplish tasks which were too difficult to begin with. This may be one of the major sources of failure.

An electric locomotive can work indefinite time without getting tired. A human who sets his/her goals beyond his/her ability is likely to fail. Such a person may achieve much less then they would have achieved had their goals been reasonable. An interesting historical note is that prior to mechanization of WWII, many battles have been lost by those who overworked their cavalry horses.

At least from early 1990s I wanted to be a writer. I wrote both Fiction in the form of short stories and Nonfiction in the form of nanoarticles. I write in the same format now. In 1990-1992 I used a xerox copier to produce a small paper zine. Now I write on forums, blogs, and other Social Media. Both in early 1990s and now my work is Politically Incorrect -- thus making money from writing is impossible. Given my passion for writing, not writing is also impossible.

From 1990s I understood that I have to have an occupation where I can make money and write on the side. I had some talent in Mathematics, though I disliked it with passion. I should have obtained Bachelor's Degree in Math and a part time job. My main criterion for a good job is low difficulty and low workload -- up to 25 hours a week. I would be happy to earn $20,000 per year. I have no intention of marrying or starting a family.

For several years I had a therapist who persuaded me that getting a PhD in Math would get me a salary above $100,000 per year. I did get a PhD in the subject I hated, but I used up most of my mental energy. After more then 15 years I am still unemployed. I did have short time jobs earning some pocket money like $2,000 per year during this time. Anyone with whom I have worked understood that I am not into Mathematics -- thus finding a real job has been impossible. I am grateful to my parents for supporting me.

A computer or an electric locomotive can perform an uninteresting task for an unlimited time, but I am only a human. Wasting my time and mental energy on a PhD was a huge mistake. Trying to earn ``big money" at a cost of unreasonable effort was a huge mistake. Overestimating my ability to sell myself for an uninteresting work was a huge mistake.

My mistake is neither unusual nor is it worse then that of millions of others. Many people, take on difficult, dangerous, and unpleasant jobs in order to built and support a family. According to Bureau of Labor Statistics, each year in USA there are about 5,000 workplace fatalities. Many people who over-strain themselves become alcoholics, smokers, and drug addicts. In 2016 in USA alone, 64,000 people died from drug overdose. Many of those who take upon themselves unreasonably difficult tasks fail.

As a young adult I instinctively knew that working in an uninteresting job just for money will not bring me happiness. What I did not understand at age 24 and do understand at age 48 is that there was no chance for me to make a lot of money if I am not interested. Another thing I did not understand as a young man is that my resources are limited -- anything I do not accomplish for myself now may never be accomplished. I would advice young people to follow their interest and not to take impossible tasks upon themselves.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CCitizen For This Useful Post:

DLLS (07-10-2018),Orion Rules (07-11-2018),Peter1469 (07-10-2018)

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 469
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jet57's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,368x in 2,004 Posts
    Mentioned
    284 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CCitizen View Post
    I have been banned from AskReddit for asking many strange questions. In some of them I asked people whether they are electric locomotives:

These question seem odd, but in reality many people including myself have made a mistake of considering themselves electric locomotives. Many people fail to accomplish tasks which were too difficult to begin with. This may be one of the major sources of failure.

An electric locomotive can work indefinite time without getting tired. A human who sets his/her goals beyond his/her ability is likely to fail. Such a person may achieve much less then they would have achieved had their goals been reasonable. An interesting historical note is that prior to mechanization of WWII, many battles have been lost by those who overworked their cavalry horses.

At least from early 1990s I wanted to be a writer. I wrote both Fiction in the form of short stories and Nonfiction in the form of nanoarticles. I write in the same format now. In 1990-1992 I used a xerox copier to produce a small paper zine. Now I write on forums, blogs, and other Social Media. Both in early 1990s and now my work is Politically Incorrect -- thus making money from writing is impossible. Given my passion for writing, not writing is also impossible.

From 1990s I understood that I have to have an occupation where I can make money and write on the side. I had some talent in Mathematics, though I disliked it with passion. I should have obtained Bachelor's Degree in Math and a part time job. My main criterion for a good job is low difficulty and low workload -- up to 25 hours a week. I would be happy to earn $20,000 per year. I have no intention of marrying or starting a family.

For several years I had a therapist who persuaded me that getting a PhD in Math would get me a salary above $100,000 per year. I did get a PhD in the subject I hated, but I used up most of my mental energy. After more then 15 years I am still unemployed. I did have short time jobs earning some pocket money like $2,000 per year during this time. Anyone with whom I have worked understood that I am not into Mathematics -- thus finding a real job has been impossible. I am grateful to my parents for supporting me.

A computer or an electric locomotive can perform an uninteresting task for an unlimited time, but I am only a human. Wasting my time and mental energy on a PhD was a huge mistake. Trying to earn ``big money" at a cost of unreasonable effort was a huge mistake. Overestimating my ability to sell myself for an uninteresting work was a huge mistake.

My mistake is neither unusual nor is it worse then that of millions of others. Many people, take on difficult, dangerous, and unpleasant jobs in order to built and support a family. According to Bureau of Labor Statistics, each year in USA there are about 5,000 workplace fatalities. Many people who over-strain themselves become alcoholics, smokers, and drug addicts. In 2016 in USA alone, 64,000 people died from drug overdose. Many of those who take upon themselves unreasonably difficult tasks fail.

As a young adult I instinctively knew that working in an uninteresting job just for money will not bring me happiness. What I did not understand at age 24 and do understand at age 48 is that there was no chance for me to make a lot of money if I am not interested. Another thing I did not understand as a young man is that my resources are limited -- anything I do not accomplish for myself now may never be accomplished. I would advice young people to follow their interest and not to take impossible tasks upon themselves.
    Yeah; your questions are strange: it's best to ask someone if they believe themselves to be workaholics. That's a word that people can connect to.

Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 628
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    CCitizen's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    Yeah; your questions are strange: it's best to ask someone if they believe themselves to be workaholics. That's a word that people can connect to.
    Not really. A workaholic may like their work -- then they are not overburdening themselves.

An electric locomotive is a tool for others (people).

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 469
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jet57's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,368x in 2,004 Posts
    Mentioned
    284 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not really. A workaholic may like their work -- then they are not overburdening themselves.

An electric locomotive is a tool for others (people).
    You need to research what a workaholic is.

Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 266
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    zachroidott's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 566x in 460 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    His motive is loco.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zachroidott For This Useful Post:

Helena (07-11-2018),ODB (07-10-2018)

Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 327
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Captdon's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,837x in 10,134 Posts
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You should have been banned.
    Liberals are a clear and present danger to our nation
    Pick your enemies carefully.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Captdon For This Useful Post:

jet57 (07-11-2018),MisterVeritis (07-11-2018)

Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 628
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    CCitizen's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captdon View Post
    You should have been banned.
    I guess so. But many people still mistake themselves for locomotives.

Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,272
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranYour first Group
    jimmyz's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,315x in 4,381 Posts
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "You make yourself happy or miserable. The amount of work is the same" - Carlos Castaneda
    " I'm old-fashioned. I like two sexes! And another thing, all of a sudden I don't like being married to what is known as a 'new woman'. I want a wife, not a competitor. Competitor! Competitor!" - Spencer Tracy in 'Adam's Rib' (1949)

Art thou every retard among us related to thine uncle or mistress by way of moral or illegitimate rendezvous? Thus, we are one side of the other's coin by luck or pluck. - Jimmyz

Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 327
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Captdon's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,837x in 10,134 Posts
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Consider you are just lazy.
    Liberals are a clear and present danger to our nation
    Pick your enemies carefully.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    MisterVeritis's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,249x in 27,870 Posts
    Mentioned
    385 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess so. But many people still mistake themselves for locomotives.
    Do you think of yourself as a kook?
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

+ Reply to Thread