User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Year 10 of the Obama Administration at HHS?

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,315x in 10,924 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Year 10 of the Obama Administration at HHS?

This is how obama screwed medicare recipients for obamacare, along with taking a billion dollars of medicare funds and trump wants to expand it.

When Republicans failed in their efforts to repeal Obamacare, we were assured that Trump appointees would be working furiously to stop the law's worst impacts at the Department of Health and Human Services.
    Instead, we are witnessing a rout by the "deep state" that is working overtime to protect—and even expand—Obama's namesake law.
    "In a notable back flip," a recent story in the New York Times begins, "the Trump administration has decided that maybe the Obama administration was right in its efforts to change the way doctors and hospitals are paid under Medicare."
    The story details a decision—180-degrees at odds with Trump's (and the GOP's) position on the issue—to expand the use of an anti-democratic, wrong-headed Obamacare program of dubious constitutionality.
    Obamacare established a "Center for Medicare and Medicaid Innovation," secured it an automatic decennial $10 billion funding source outside the congressional appropriations process, and provided it carte blanche authority to experiment with policy changes it believes would fix Medicare.
    It used to be that Congress set health policy. But under Obamacare, CMMI can "deem and pass" its own changes to federal law. The process is essentially as follows: 1) CMMI conducts a "pilot study" on the change it has in mind, 2) CMMI deems the study a success, 3) the change is now the law of the land.

CARTOONS | Tom Stiglich
    View Cartoon

Those who designed CMMI as a Trojan Horse for government control of healthcare often try to pretend it's a small effort to study ways to cut costs, reduce inefficiencies, and save taxpayer dollars. As we all know, Democrats are just so fastidious with taxpayer funds!
    But the Obama aides who initially took over CMMI in 2010 were so exuberant in their mission, they ended up ticking off every Congressman to the right of Bernie Sanders in the process, resulting in a rare rebuke from every member, Republican and Democrat, on the Senate Finance Committee, including Chuck Schumer.
    The reason? One of CMMI's initial "pilot studies" changed the benefits for a majority of Medicare recipients—tens of millions of people! CMMI apparently wanted to skip the "deem" part and go straight for the “pass.”
    Now, here we are more than a year after Obama left office, and this program is being expanded, in, as the story says, "a notable back flip" from the Trump administration.
    One reason that the "deep state," the entrenched power in Washington, D.C. that keeps on going regardless of what voters say, seems to keep winning is that Democrats buried dozens of mines like CMMI in the laws they passed during their short-lived moment of absolute power.

There are several hallmarks of these programs, including, 1) that they transfer to unelected bureaucrats the legislative authority assigned by the Constitution to our elected representatives, 2) that they are to some degree shielded from public accountability, and 3) that the program's mission is designed, explicitly and implicitly, to further liberal policy goals such as the expansion of government.
    CMMI hits all three of these. First, its purpose is to rewrite the law and set healthcare policy. That's supposed to be Congress's job.
    Second, CMMI's funding is outside the congressional appropriations process, protecting it from public accountability. This problem is compounded by defenders who argue that, under arcane budgetary rules, Congress must "offset" future, hypothetical spending cuts generated by CMMI if it moves to restrain its power. (If you believe the Obamabots staffing CMMI are going to save us a ton of money, I have a bridge to sell you).
    Third, Obamacare includes numerous limits to the types of policy changes that CMMI can "study." What remains is essentially what they couldn't get into Obamacare because it was too unpopular.
    All of which raises the question, what in the world is happening at the Trump administration's HHS that its decision is to expand this program?
    Are "burrowed" Obama appointees running the show in the vacuum left by Tom Price's fall from grace? Is it a matter of inattention from a White House with plenty of other priorities to keep them busy? Or have they thrown up their hands in defeat at the prospect of legislating and said, “let the technocrats handle it?”
    Whatever the answer, and despite his promises to “drain the swamp,” it seems like the deep state—and Obamacare—are thriving at Trump’s HHS.
    https://townhall.com/columnists/andr...t-hhs-n2448025
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 1,344
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Grokmaster's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,815x in 3,968 Posts
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We'll see if this is allowed to stand.
    De Oppresso Liber

Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 220
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Trish's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,754x in 2,330 Posts
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My only gripe is the title of this article. HHS and all Federal Agencies do NOT create their own mission or agenda. Congress does.

The title should say How Congress is $#@!ing the American People.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Trish For This Useful Post:

zelmo1234 (02-13-2018)

Level completed: 33%, Points required for next Level: 1,344
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran50000 Experience Points
    Grokmaster's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,815x in 3,968 Posts
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trish View Post
    My only gripe is the title of this article. HHS and all Federal Agencies do NOT create their own mission or agenda. Congress does.

Or not:

Obamacare established a "Center for Medicare and Medicaid Innovation," secured it an automatic decennial $10 billion funding source outside the congressional appropriations process, and provided it carte blanche authority to experiment with policy changes it believes would fix Medicare.
    It used to be that Congress set health policy. But under Obamacare, CMMI can "deem and pass" its own changes to federal law. The process is essentially as follows: 1) CMMI conducts a "pilot study" on the change it has in mind, 2) CMMI deems the study a success, 3) the change is now the law of the land.
    De Oppresso Liber

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Read the article trish

No you are wrong, this was created by obama its autonomous to congress and writes its own laws
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 220
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Trish's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,754x in 2,330 Posts
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    No you are wrong, this was created by obama its autonomous to congress and writes its own laws
    I think I need a hiatus from this place.

Okay - you're right.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Trish For This Useful Post:

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 2,023
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassCreated Album picturesYour first GroupRecommendation First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Adelaide's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,449x in 11,739 Posts
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Well...

A lot of representatives and senators have legal backgrounds. Very few have medical backgrounds or insurance backgrounds. Even if they're given information it's impossible to know what might take someone decades to understand. I do not think that any agency should be able to make changes to law, but I could see where some medical-related issues would be above the paygrade of congressmen and women. Still shouldn't skip that step, though. The problem is maybe that Congress should listen to recommendations from groups like CMMI without constantly politicizing every single issue.

Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 2,827
    Overall activity: 77.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    zelmo1234's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,063x in 14,362 Posts
    Mentioned
    432 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    Yes but congress has the power to change this or if they can't make the change defund this. Congress is well in the hands of the GOP, and if they choose to do nothing? The I agree with Trish, it is on them.

We have to stop pretending that Congress has no power to effect change.

Level completed: 22%, Points required for next Level: 2,827
    Overall activity: 77.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    zelmo1234's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,063x in 14,362 Posts
    Mentioned
    432 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay - you're right.
    Well maybe, but so are you.

Congress, has the power to change or defund, it ultimately rest in there hands to fix this.

And don't take a break, You are really starting to impress me with your posts. And I promise you that I don't say that to very many people that reside on the left.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay - you're right.
    Youre fine trish, I screw up these things all the time
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

+ Reply to Thread