User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Is This The End of the Trump Presidency?

Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 1,433
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Agent Zero's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,784x in 1,405 Posts
    Mentioned
    334 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Is This The End of the Trump Presidency?

Last night we were at a function and the topic with the DC types was whether or not this past week signaled the coming end of the Trump presidency. I mentioned sarcastically that it looked like he was about "done". A bystander laughed and asked me if I had read this article.

It very well could be. We'll see.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-...ump-presidency

This is the week we know, with increasing certainty, that we are entering the last phase of the Trump Presidency. This doesn’t feel like a prophecy; it feels like a simple statement of the apparent truth. I know dozens of reporters and other investigators who have studied Donald Trump and his business and political ties. Some have been skeptical of the idea that President Trump himself knowingly colluded with Russian officials. It seems not at all Trumpian to participate in a complex plan with a long-term, uncertain payoff. Collusion is an imprecise word, but it does seem close to certain that his son Donald, Jr., and several people who worked for him colluded with people close to the Kremlin; it is up to prosecutors and then the courts to figure out if this was illegal or merely deceitful. We may have a hard time finding out what President Trump himself knew and approved.

The narrative that will become widely understood is that Donald Trump did not sit atop a global empire. He was not an intuitive genius and tough guy who created billions of dollars of wealth through fearlessness. He had a small, sad operation, mostly run by his two oldest children and Michael Cohen, a lousy lawyer who barely keeps up the pretenses of lawyering and who now faces an avalanche of charges, from taxicab-backed bank fraud to money laundering and campaign-finance violations.
    Cohen, Donald, Jr., and Ivanka monetized their willingness to sign contracts with people rejected by all sensible partners. Even in this, the Trump Organization left money on the table, taking a million dollars here, five million there, even though the service they provided—giving branding legitimacy to blatantly sketchy projects—was worth far more. It was not a company that built value over decades, accumulating assets and leveraging wealth. It burned through whatever good will and brand value it established as quickly as possible, then moved on to the next scheme.
    There are important legal questions that remain. How much did Donald Trump and his children know about the criminality of their partners? How explicit were they in agreeing to put a shiny gold brand on top of corrupt deals? The answers to these questions will play a role in determining whether they go to jail and, if so, for how long.
    There is no longer one major investigation into Donald Trump, focussed solely on collusion with Russia. There are now at least two, including a thorough review of Cohen’s correspondence. The information in his office and hotel room will likely make clear precisely how much the Trump family knew. What we already know is disturbing, and it is hard to imagine that the information prosecutors will soon learn will do anything but worsen the picture.

Of course Trump is raging and furious and terrified. Prosecutors are now looking at his core. Cohen was the key intermediary between the Trump family and its partners around the world; he was chief consigliere and dealmaker throughout its period of expansion into global partnerships with sketchy oligarchs. He wasn’t a slick politico who showed up for a few months. He knows everything, he recorded much of it, and now prosecutors will know it, too. It seems inevitable that much will be made public. We don’t know when. We don’t know the precise path the next few months will take. There will be resistance and denial and counterattacks. But it seems likely that, when we look back on this week, we will see it as a turning point. We are now in the end stages of the Trump Presidency.
    How crazy alt righties got pwnd by a conervative web site:
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/berlins.../#3b7ecb78e9b5
    il·lib·er·al
    i(l)ˈlib(ə)rəladjective1.opposed to liberal principles; restricting freedom of thought or behavior
    "illiberal and anti-democratic policies
    • synonyms: intolerant, narrow-minded, unenlightened, conservative, reactionary;

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 57.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger First ClassOverdrive
    MisterVeritis's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,379x in 27,945 Posts
    Mentioned
    389 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A wise person would plan for nearly seven more years.
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MisterVeritis For This Useful Post:

Archer0915 (04-15-2018),KathyS (04-15-2018)

tPF Moderator
    Overall activity: 65.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,618x in 25,162 Posts
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol, from the “news desk” of The New Yorker
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

Archer0915 (04-15-2018),countryboy (04-17-2018),Docthehun (04-17-2018),KathyS (04-15-2018),MisterVeritis (04-15-2018)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    334 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGUtley View Post
    Lol, from the “news desk” of The New Yorker
    Oh, I'm sorry. I thought it was an op ed.

The news, I assure you, will be when it happens. And I'm sure you'll be among the first to throw him under the bus.
    il·lib·er·al
    i(l)ˈlib(ə)rəladjective1.opposed to liberal principles; restricting freedom of thought or behavior
    • synonyms: intolerant, narrow-minded, unenlightened, conservative, reactionary;

Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteranYour first Group
    Ethereal's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 41,580x in 26,042 Posts
    Mentioned
    1175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the Trump presidency fails, it will be because of his boneheaded intervention in Syria, not because of the fake "collusion" narrative being spread around by his enemies.

With his attack on Syria, Trump has lost a substantial chunk of enthusiasm and support. If Trump wants to weather the coming storm, then he's going to need every bit of that enthusiasm and support he can muster. As someone who has regularly and aggressively defended Trump against the unhinged Russian "collusion" narrative, I can say I'm pretty much done with that. If Trump is going to keep betraying his promises to stay out of Syria, then I am not going to invest my time and energy defending him on other fronts.

So, yes, this might be the end of the Trump presidency, but not for the reasons this article alleges. Ironically enough, the article mentions the Iraq war, but fails to make a substantial parallel between the political fallout of that war and the political fallout of Trump's war in Syria.
    Power always thinks it has a great soul, and vast views, beyond the comprehension of the weak. And that it is doing God service when it is violating all His laws.
    --John Adams

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ethereal For This Useful Post:

Archer0915 (04-15-2018),MisterVeritis (04-15-2018)

Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,323x in 10,925 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They will find something on trump, they wont stop until they do but will it amount to anything, that remains to be seen
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    334 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    If the Trump presidency fails, it will be because of his boneheaded intervention in Syria, not because of the fake "collusion" narrative being spread around by his enemies.

With his attack on Syria, Trump has lost a substantial chunk of enthusiasm and support. If Trump wants to weather the coming storm, then he's going to need every bit of that enthusiasm and support he can muster. As someone who has regularly and aggressively defended Trump against the unhinged Russian "collusion" narrative, I can say I'm pretty much done with that. If Trump is going to keep betraying his promises to stay out of Syria, then I am not going to invest my time and energy defending him on other fronts.

So, yes, this might be the end of the Trump presidency, but not for the reasons this article alleges. Ironically enough, the article mentions the Iraq war, but fails to make a substantial parallel between the political fallout of that war and the political fallout of Trump's war in Syria.
    You must be a libertarian.

How quaint. Didn't know there were any left here in DC.
    il·lib·er·al

Level completed: 92%, Points required for next Level: 102
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Kalkin's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,788x in 2,518 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Zero View Post
    Is This The End of the Trump Presidency?
    Nope.
    "An army, great in space, may offer opposition in a brief span of time.
    One man, brief in space, must spread his opposition
    across a period of many years if he is
    to have a chance of succeeding"

~RZ67~

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    334 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    They will find something on trump, they wont stop until they do but will it amount to anything, that remains to be seen
    Replace "Trump" with "Hillary" and you'll see the irony of your statement. Hell, every other thread of yours is still about her! Or Obama, for that matter.
    il·lib·er·al

Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 2,069
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    AZ Jim's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,319x in 2,953 Posts
    Mentioned
    344 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    Who is "they"???? Oh! You mean MOST of America...
    Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I digress....

+ Reply to Thread