Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,527x in 2,866 Posts
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Great Public School Questions

I work in the system as a substitute teacher. I have done so since 1999. I've seen a lot.

The Public School system in America is mostly a giant warehouse for children until they are old enough to move out of their parents' home. I may have mentioned that at another forum, but probably not here. If you see this on a daily basis (and it becomes really clear when you are able to move in and out of many different schools) you come to that conclusion.

I'm asking here, IS THIS A GOOD THING?
    (There are no wrong answers. This is a think topic and I'd like to get some views.)

This is less political than just studying the structure. Conservatives believe a lot of public schools have failed, are graduating morons and are indoctrinating kids to extremist left wing dogma. Liberals say we aren't spending enough money on public schools and that they should be extended to include the college years. I'm hoping we don't go down that path here, but all views are welcome.

Is this giant warehouse a bad thing? Today, children (at least at the elementary level) are getting breakfast and lunch, are getting instruction in the basic skills of reading, writing, math and science. They also get music, physical education, STEM and library skills. Today the federal government pays about 7 percent for this. Most of the money for public schools (including determining teacher salaries) comes from the county level, sales and property taxes.

Is it a bad thing for our country as a concept?

Right now, it appears that China is going to come to the negotiation table with our President because the threats of tariffs are tearing that country apart. For the longest time, China has been an oppressive Communist totalitarian regime. We've seen over the past 40 years where China has embraced a lot of capitalism and has made amazing strides on the world stage. So why would its economy be in the crapper?

I only know this because I have friends who are international brokers of various commodities. Most of China's enormous population is illiterate. Many of them are starving. What we see when it comes to those brilliant Chinese individuals are those in the cities who have competed their way up a very tall heap. We see the elite and we don't see the wretched.

Do you think an educated population is good for a national economy? (And again, there are no wrong answers here. Swing away.)

How is education today different from when old farts like me were in public school in the Sixties? I can remember a computer costing a million dollars and filling up an entire classroom. Yesterday I subbed for a math class where each student took at a mini laptop from the charging station and logged on to Google Classroom and did and entire math lesson for about 45 minutes. There are also reading programs where certain books are assigned what they call AR points. The student (usually at the elementary level) reads the book and then goes online for testing to get AR points.

It's all pretty hi tech. And I can remember in 2000 when there were no laptops in school, where students had to go to regular computer labs for basic typing courses, and they were forbidden to go on the internet.

A lot has changed.

In your opinion, is it a good thing?

And think in terms of the big picture. Is public education a good thing for the country.

Right now, my jury is still out. Maybe some of you can help me make up my mind.

Have at it.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Reason10 For This Useful Post:

FindersKeepers (11-04-2019),HawkTheSlayer (09-14-2019),Peter1469 (09-14-2019)

Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 295
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    CaveDog's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 842x in 468 Posts
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends how you define education. A solid, classical education creates competent citizens capable of critical thought and self-government with the skills to drive a modern economy. This is essential to the success of a Republic such as ours. Unfortunately, due to the influence of thinkers such a John Dewey and politicians like Woodrow Wilson backed by the financing of industrial Magnates such as J.D. Rockefeller and J.P. Morgan in the early 20th century, the educational system has been transformed into a split tier system where the typical public school student is meted out little more than enough knowledge as necessary to serve the system. This goal was clearly articulated, even celebrated in that early "progressive" era and executed with great effectiveness. It's become ingrained in the system. Meanwhile, in the same period there was a proliferation of elite boarding schools which housed and educated the children of the wealthy and influential. Much of the upper tier of our political leadership are the product of such schools even to this day. Jefferson would have been aghast. He envisioned education as a tool to empower the people. It has become the opposite, merely enforcing a modern caste system. It's simply impossible to debate modern education while side-stepping that reality.
    Make Orwell fiction again.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to CaveDog For This Useful Post:

bulletbob (11-14-2019),HawkTheSlayer (09-14-2019),MisterVeritis (09-14-2019),Peter1469 (09-14-2019),Tahuyaman (09-14-2019),The Sage of Main Street (09-14-2019)

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,517x in 94,378 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cavedog covered the education aspect well.

So far as China goes, the OP is correct. China is really two societies attempting to become one. Its coastal mega cities are doing well with their selective application of capitalism and massive middle class (the real drivers of the economy). But the interior and to the west is dirt poor. Because of the prosperous part of China the manufacturing of "cheap stuff" is moving further south in Asia. The question remains to be seen is whether China's economy can survive this shift- the larger poor part of China will drag the prosperous smaller part down. Trump's tariffs have brought this reality home very fast.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Tahuyaman (09-14-2019)

Level completed: 26%, Points required for next Level: 1,263
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranRecommendation Second ClassTagger First Class25000 Experience Points
    HawkTheSlayer's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 10,329x in 5,055 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remove teachers unions from public schools and eliminate government sponsored indoctrination.
    Abolish the Department of Education while we're at it.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HawkTheSlayer For This Useful Post:

bulletbob (11-14-2019),FindersKeepers (11-04-2019),MisterVeritis (09-14-2019)

Overall activity: 86.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    MisterVeritis's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,245x in 27,866 Posts
    Mentioned
    385 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Education, whatever that means, will see a rebirth only if the people demand a wall of separation between education and government.

We are "doing education" all wrong.
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MisterVeritis For This Useful Post:

HawkTheSlayer (09-14-2019),Peter1469 (09-14-2019)

Level completed: 77%, Points required for next Level: 398
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    VeteranTagger Second Class25000 Experience Points
    Reason10's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CaveDog View Post
    It depends how you define education. A solid, classical education creates competent citizens capable of critical thought and self-government with the skills to drive a modern economy. This is essential to the success of a Republic such as ours. Unfortunately, due to the influence of thinkers such a John Dewey and politicians like Woodrow Wilson backed by the financing of industrial Magnates such as J.D. Rockefeller and J.P. Morgan in the early 20th century, the educational system has been transformed into a split tier system where the typical public school student is meted out little more than enough knowledge as necessary to serve the system. This goal was clearly articulated, even celebrated in that early "progressive" era and executed with great effectiveness. It's become ingrained in the system. Meanwhile, in the same period there was a proliferation of elite boarding schools which housed and educated the children of the wealthy and influential. Much of the upper tier of our political leadership are the product of such schools even to this day. Jefferson would have been aghast. He envisioned education as a tool to empower the people. It has become the opposite, merely enforcing a modern caste system. It's simply impossible to debate modern education while side-stepping that reality.
    Is it the nature of the heavy, wieldy "public" school, (where one has to teach the masses, whoever walks through the door) versus the elite schools, where the clientele is hand picked? Your point is certainly well made, when Obama lectures us about not having enough political correctness in public schools while the taxpayers pay for his kids to go to Sidwell Friends private school.

Your first sentence probably should be the mission statement of the entire public school system.

It is definitely a two tier system where motivated upper class types can afford to raise their kids to be achievers and stick them in private schools with other achievers and teachers who expect no less. The public school system is where some very bright middle class kids are stuck in a classroom with some total morons who barely toilet trained by their equally moronic parents. Private schools are hand crafted products, whereas public schools are mass production.

About ten years ago, (when I got the crazy idea that maybe I could write some humorous stories for the Saturday Evening Post--since they pay pretty good fees for publication) I created a short story about 20 years in the future, when time travel was commonplace. There was one store that featured a conversation with some figure of the past. One customer decided he wanted to speak with Thomas Jefferson. So the store went back in time and brought Jefferson to the year 2040. The man smelled worse than any homeless person, probably because there was no deodorant in his time. The store made the mistake of leaving a television set on. Jefferson saw that and was immediately terrified, thinking that it was some evil box with demons trying to get out. He kept asking for hemp, which the store owner realized was marijuana.

The story went way over the word limit so I tossed it. I thought it was funny.

Jefferson would look at America today and be convinced he had died and gone to hell, just noticing the images today that we take for granted.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Reason10 For This Useful Post:

MisterVeritis (09-14-2019)

Achievements:
    Reason10's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HawkTheSlayer View Post
    Remove teachers unions from public schools and eliminate government sponsored indoctrination.
    Abolish the Department of Education while we're at it.
    You won't get ANY argument from me on the subject of abolishing the Department Of Education. It is a miserable Jimmy Carter waste of money. It creates more local paperwork headaches than anything else and it accomplishes nothing.

Not sure about unions. Make all states RIGHT TO WORK states and you instantly solve the union problem. Here in Florida, unions have almost no real power because the closed union shop is illegal. Still, local teachers' unions do provide some valuable group insurance buying pools. Some legal aid groups are on the payroll to unions for helping teachers in various disciplinary disputes. Nothing else, these teachers are definitely getting their money's worth.

But you raise a lot of points about viability of unions for any government worker. Is it a good idea? I look at unions as paid private sector negotiating groups that have large enough membership to have real power. If a local union can collectively bargain for really high wages for the workers, higher than they could possibly have gotten on their own, they've earned their dues. The question your statement brings up, however subliminally, is whether or not unions can be involved in government businesses without a lot of corruption involved? Some say there should be NO unions for government workers. I'm about 80 percent with you, especially if it is a closed shop state.

Government sponsored indoctrination? I've got a bit of bad news for you. Having recently subbed for a couple of social studies classes at the high school level, I can safely say that the fix is in. Yes, the American history chapters DEFINITELY support the MSNBC side of things. That's not even close to being debatable. It's definitely anti Reagan and pro Obama. That comes from the publisher. I don't know if the Department of Education instructed the publishers (and there are many) to put in that editorial direction, or if they are naturally left wing and have decided on their own their version of history. But in that one high school, social studies is definitely CNN.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reason10 For This Useful Post:

Achievements:
    Reason10's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    134 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterVeritis View Post
    Education, whatever that means, will see a rebirth only if the people demand a wall of separation between education and government.

We are "doing education" all wrong.
    Is it possible to take government out of education completely? (Not that I would have ANY problems with that.)

Do you think parents would decide on their own that their child's literacy is worth their spending their own money on it today, (since most parents see education as something free.)? I've seen crappy parents who don't give a rat's ass about their kid and use the school as a free daycare facility. What would happen to those kids if the government were taken out of it? Or is there another form this could take?

If you compare the big, lush government schools (all with huge lunchrooms, gymnasiums, band rooms, sports programs, libraries, etc) with the stripped down private school that concentrates solely on academics, (at a higher price), do you think parents would choose to pay the money for their kids' education? Or is it possible to have that big education complex without government money?

Could the private sector create these giant facilities? There were small mom and pop supermarkets when I was a kid and nobody around us ever imagined the dawn of the Walmart Super Store, popping up all over the place. Do you think educational complexes could do the same thing on a private sector scale, or would they have to strip it down like Sidwell friends?
    Do you think there would be a private sector market for mass education of the rug rats, along similar lines of government schools?

And AGAIN, stick with me on this: The big public schools are required to teach whatever walks through the door, and (this might shock you), and regardless of whether or not the child speaks English or is even in this country legally. I've seen that way too many times. There IS social promotion because without it the kindergarten system would crash. I've seen fifth graders who were unable to count to twenty. And they are being passed up through the grades because the system has nowhere else to put them. Either they are idiots, very lazy brats or mentally retarded.

I agree with you that we are doing it wrong. If you've got any better ideas on how to handle the masses of kids, I'm all ears.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Reason10 For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (09-14-2019)

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,517x in 94,378 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reason10 View Post
    Is it possible to take government out of education completely? (Not that I would have ANY problems with that.)

Do you think parents would decide on their own that their child's literacy is worth their spending their own money on it today, (since most parents see education as something free.)? I've seen crappy parents who don't give a rat's ass about their kid and use the school as a free daycare facility. What would happen to those kids if the government were taken out of it? Or is there another form this could take?

If you compare the big, lush government schools (all with huge lunchrooms, gymnasiums, band rooms, sports programs, libraries, etc) with the stripped down private school that concentrates solely on academics, (at a higher price), do you think parents would choose to pay the money for their kids' education? Or is it possible to have that big education complex without government money?

Could the private sector create these giant facilities? There were small mom and pop supermarkets when I was a kid and nobody around us ever imagined the dawn of the Walmart Super Store, popping up all over the place. Do you think educational complexes could do the same thing on a private sector scale, or would they have to strip it down like Sidwell friends?
    Do you think there would be a private sector market for mass education of the rug rats, along similar lines of government schools?

And AGAIN, stick with me on this: The big public schools are required to teach whatever walks through the door, and (this might shock you), and regardless of whether or not the child speaks English or is even in this country legally. I've seen that way too many times. There IS social promotion because without it the kindergarten system would crash. I've seen fifth graders who were unable to count to twenty. And they are being passed up through the grades because the system has nowhere else to put them. Either they are idiots, very lazy brats or mentally retarded.

I agree with you that we are doing it wrong. If you've got any better ideas on how to handle the masses of kids, I'm all ears.
    Work backwards from the Medicare for all debate. Have a public option for "free" education but let the majority who can afford it use private education. Similar results in both health care and education would result.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Overall activity: 86.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteranTagger First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Activity Award
    MisterVeritis's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,245x in 27,866 Posts
    Mentioned
    385 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reason10 View Post
    Yes. It is entirely possible to completely take the government out of education. We simply have to want to do it. An amendment reintroducing a limited federal government constrained by the original Constitution would solve almost all of this nation's serious problems including education.
    Call your state legislators and insist they approve the Article V convention of States to propose amendments.

I pledge allegiance to the Constitution as written and understood by this nation's founders, and to the Republic it created, an indivisible union of sovereign States, with liberty and justice for all.

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MisterVeritis For This Useful Post:

+ Reply to Thread