User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Supreme Court rejects appeal of B&B owner who denied room to same-sex couple

Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 2,802
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,942x in 8,820 Posts
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cletus View Post
    I don't believe I am.

Quite often, laws are "settled" on the basis of political expedience and nothing more. You probably know that better than most. the ACA and the stunt Roberts pulled is a great example of that. Public Accommodation laws are another example. Repealing or overturning anti discrimination laws would be political suicide and probably cause a certain amount of public unrest. The fact that the laws should never have been enacted is pretty much irrelevant as far as the courts and the legislatureare concerned. They are not going to make a ruling they are reasonable sure will cause riots in the streets, even if that would be the right thing to do.

Involuntary servitude is generally defined as A condition of compulsory service or labor performed by one person, against his will, for the benefit of another person due to force, threats, intimidation or other similar means of coercion and compulsion directed against him. It has also been ruled (and I can probably find the reference later) that a state of involuntary servitude can exist even if the person in question is paid for his services.

How does that not precisely apply to a shopkeeper, innkeeper, or tradesman forced under threat of retaliation by the state, to perform services or provide accommodation for someone against his will?
    Running a business covered by the public accommodation laws is not a right. It is a voluntarily undertaken relationship between the owner of a business and a municipality (which is subordinate to the state) for the purpose of making money. No one is forced to run such a business - that would be involuntary servitude.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

Captdon (03-22-2019),DGUtley (03-21-2019),Peter1469 (03-21-2019)

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 53
    Overall activity: 0.3%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    nathanbforrest45's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 16,261x in 10,568 Posts
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't care about what the "law" now states. I am speaking of the original intent of the Constitution and the very concept of individual freedom of assembly. I should have an unfettered right of free association of who ever I wish. The fact that this has been usurped by a court system that no longer believes in these concepts does not negate the fact this is how we should be allowed to live our lives.

Suppose the government finally revokes the 2nd Amendment and moves to disarm all of us. Does that fundamentally change our right of self defense against both a criminal element and an overreaching government?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to nathanbforrest45 For This Useful Post:

MisterVeritis (03-22-2019)

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 53
    Overall activity: 0.3%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    nathanbforrest45's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 16,261x in 10,568 Posts
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    Running a business covered by the public accommodation laws is not a right. It is a voluntarily undertaken relationship between the owner of a business and a municipality (which is subordinate to the state) for the purpose of making money. No one is forced to run such a business - that would be involuntary servitude.
    You are being forced to run such a business, in a manner dictated by that government. I opened my business, not for a municipality but to make money by providing a service some may pay for. I cannot force anyone in the community to do business with me, why should they have the right to force me to chose who I wish to serve?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to nathanbforrest45 For This Useful Post:

Achievements:
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanbforrest45 View Post
    You are being forced to run such a business, in a manner dictated by that government. I opened my business, not for a municipality but to make money by providing a service some may pay for. I cannot force anyone in the community to do business with me, why should they have the right to force me to chose who I wish to serve?
    No, you are not being forced. You are choosing that kind of enterprise and as with many other enterprises, there is a legal framework in which you have to operate. If you don't like the legal framework, find a different line of business.

If you don't like the law, then you have the option of uniting with likeminded people with a view to changing it. However, it's far more likely that the Constitution would be amended to incorporate the CRA.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 1,129
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cletus's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 27,384x in 15,851 Posts
    Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am so tired of hearing the same Leftist drivel over and over again. It is bull$#@! and if you don't know it is bull$#@!, any attempt to educate you would probably be futile.

You may want to look up what the phrase "pursuit of happiness" meant in 1776. Then look up "unalienable rights" and see what that means. Then, you can take them and put them together and see what you come up with.
    Last edited by Cletus; 03-21-2019 at 10:33 PM.
    “Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue.” - Barry Goldwater

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Cletus For This Useful Post:

tPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanbforrest45 View Post
    Don't care about what the "law" now states. I am speaking of the original intent of the Constitution and the very concept of individual freedom of assembly. I should have an unfettered right of free association of who ever I wish. The fact that this has been usurped by a court system that no longer believes in these concepts does not negate the fact this is how we should be allowed to live our lives.

Suppose the government finally revokes the 2nd Amendment and moves to disarm all of us. Does that fundamentally change our right of self defense against both a criminal element and an overreaching government?
    Why is this stuff so basic and obvious to some, but for others, you may as well be discussing String Theory? Are people really that ignorant of our history, or are they so indoctrinated they are incapable of thinking for themselves anymore?
    “Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue.” - Barry Goldwater

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cletus For This Useful Post:

MisterVeritis (03-22-2019),nathanbforrest45 (03-22-2019)

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Just AnotherPerson's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,555x in 5,668 Posts
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am so tired of hearing the same Leftist drivel over and over again. It is bull$#@! and if you don't know it is bull$#@!, any attempt to educate you would probably be futile.

You may want to look up what the phrase "pursuit of happiness" meant in 1776. Then look up "unalienable rights" and see what that means. Then,you can take them and put them together and see what you come up with.
    You hate it so bad that you spend your every waking moment diving straight into it. Sorry that statement struck me funny. LoL
    We are all brothers and sisters in humanity. We are all made from the same dust of stars. We cannot be separated because all life is interconnected.

Achievements:
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You may want to look up what the phrase "pursuit of happiness" meant in 1776. Then look up "unalienable rights" and see what that means. Then, you can take them and put them together and see what you come up with.
    As I suggested to NBF:
    "If you don't like the law, then you have the option of uniting with likeminded people with a view to changing it. However, it's far more likely that the Constitution would be amended to incorporate the CRA."

This is 2019, not 1819. Refusal of service for bigoted reasons is no longer tolerable in any nation that wishes to be seen as socially advanced, in contrast to the socially and economically backward nations of the world. What you want would make America into a social pariah among western nations and it would have economic and political consequences.

Mahatma Gandhi

tPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I suggested to NBF:
    "If you don't like the law, then you have the option of uniting with likeminded people with a view to changing it. However, it's far more likely that the Constitution would be amended to incorporate the CRA."

This is 2019, not 1819. Refusal of service for bigoted reasons is no longer tolerable in any nation that wishes to be seen as socially advanced, in contrast to the socially and economically backward nations of the world. What you want would make America into a social pariah among western nations and it would have economic and political consequences.

It doesn't matter whether it is 2019, 1819, or 2525. This country was founded on the idea that the rights of the individual are paramount. People like you would subjugate the rights of the individual in favor of the rule of the mob.

You just don't get it. That is why you will always be a tool for those who would strip us all, including you of your most fundamental rights.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cletus For This Useful Post:

MisterVeritis (03-22-2019),nathanbforrest45 (03-22-2019)

Achievements:
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It doesn't matter whether it is 2019, 1819, or 2525. This country was founded on the idea that the rights of the individual are paramount. People like you would subjugate the rights of the individual in favor of the rule of the mob.

You just don't get it. That is why you will always be a tool for those who would strip us all, including you of your most fundamental rights.
    If you don't like the law, then you have the option of uniting with likeminded people with a view to changing it. You can rail against it on this forum and cast aspersions against me, but I'm pretty sure that you know that the Constitution would be far more likely to be amended to incorporate the CRA before the nation would revert to the time where bigotry ruled. The majority of people do not want to live in a new version of the old South Africa.

Mahatma Gandhi

+ Reply to Thread