Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 85x in 67 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Road Warrior View Post
    I've been looking for more reports on the movies, specifically for clear depictions of what was considered "abuse" since that can cover a large range of concepts. When I was in school from 1962 to 1974, it wasn't unusual in some schools (I went to 11 different elementary and high schools) for corporal punishment to be used. I'd been told to bend over a desk or to grab my ankles more than a few times and then swatted 3-5 times as a reminder of what I'd done wrong. Was that abuse? I'm sure some would consider being sent to my room without my dinner except for a few pieces of bread and a glass of water to be extreme abuse. I do not. Harsh, yes, but abuse? No.

Also, it's wrong to say this is an anti-gay therapy school. Not all the kids there are gay. In fact, for a supposed "anti-gay" school the description of Level Zero and Level One seems contrary to idea. The school seems to adhere to "old school" disciplanary principles not longer found in a country where "There are no winners or losers. Everybody is a winner! Gold stars for everyone! Yayyy!"
    I consider corporal punishment abuse. Gay kids are not the ONLY kids abused at this camp, but they are the ones that are most picked on by the staff.

Just because child abuse was common in your childhood doesn't make it right. There is something really sick about sending American kids to a school that would not be allowed to be open in the US.

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 664
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran5000 Experience Points
    sky dancer's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 85x in 67 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alyosha View Post
    No, that is not a form of Christianity. That is a group of sickos who grasp at straws to find reasons to hate. When you can show me where it says in the Gospels this is acceptable I'll concede its a form of Christianity.

Nope. Not playing that game. Never dismissed it. I made an analogy. And the public schools DO have more incidents of pedophilia in them, and I wouldn't shut down public schools because of a few pedophiles nor would I blame the schools for not shutting down because of pedophiles.

Individuals should receive blame for what they individually did.

JMO, you're angry and being mean. You've yet to hear my argument which is that individual people should accept blame for individual actions and that innocent people should not be punished along with them.
    I see. Now you resort to personal attack because you cannot accept my view. Certainly individual people should accept blame, but you seem to forget that the priests were shielded by the institutional RCC. That's not allowing those priests to accept blame nor does it protect children. That was Church policy and it was effed up.

I'm not angry or mean. I'm concerned and I would think you'd be equally concerned. IMO, most Catholics were quite upset by the priest pedophilia scandal and because of that, the RCC had to change their policies regarding priest pedophilia and take responsibility for protecting children. That's a good thing, not something to be ashamed of.

One of my relatives was a survivor of Magdalene Laundries. I spent half my life in the RCC. I think I have every right to comment on religious abuse.
    Last edited by sky dancer; 12-16-2013 at 08:35 PM.

Level completed: 17%, Points required for next Level: 1,498
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassSocialOverdrive25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Max Rockatansky's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,801x in 2,984 Posts
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sky dancer View Post
    I consider corporal punishment abuse. Gay kids are not the ONLY kids abused at this camp, but they are the ones that are most picked on by the staff.
    Please post your documentation of this.

Just because child abuse was common in your childhood doesn't make it right. There is something really sick about sending American kids to a school that would not be allowed to be open in the US.
    Agreed the punishment used in my childhood isn't necessarily right, but I do see that it is sometimes warranted. Do you think making a kid run laps or do push-ups is abuse? I do not. If the temperature outside is excessive to the point where kids could become heat causalities, then, yes, that would be both abusive and irresponsible.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 85x in 67 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please post your documentation of this.

Agreed the punishment used in my childhood isn't necessarily right, but I do see that it is sometimes warranted. Do you think making a kid run laps or do push-ups is abuse? I do not. If the temperature outside is excessive to the point where kids could become heat causalities, then, yes, that would be both abusive and irresponsible.
    As for running laps and doing push ups. It depends on how many, doesn't it?

Regarding documentation. Read the article I provided and you will see that gay kids stayed at the bottom and were never able to advance.

They were considered $#@! permanently there.
    Last edited by sky dancer; 12-16-2013 at 08:42 PM.

Level completed: 35%, Points required for next Level: 1,430
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsRecommendation Second ClassTagger Second ClassVeteran
    Codename Section's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 10,845x in 7,281 Posts
    Mentioned
    983 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see. Now you resort to personal attack because you cannot accept my view. Certainly individual people should accept blame, but you seem to forget that the priests were shielded by the institutional RCC. That's not allowing those priests to accept blame nor does it protect children. That was Church policy and it was effed up.

I'm not angry or mean. I'm concerned and I would think you'd be equally concerned. IMO, most Catholics were quite upset by the priest pedophilia scandal and because of that, the RCC had to change their policies regarding priest pedophilia and take responsibility for protecting children. That's a good thing, not something to be ashamed of.

One of my relatives was a survivor of Magdalene Laundries. I spent half my life in the RCC. I think I have every right to comment on religious abuse.
    I don't think that's what she's saying. You guys are completely missing what the other person is talking about.

She is saying that individuals should be held accountable not groups. That's it. She's bringing up public schools because it happens there too but no one hauls out public schools and beats them. They point to individual teachers.

Now, that's all the peacemaking I'm doing for now.

Later gals!

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As for running laps and doing push ups. It depends on how many, doesn't it?

Regarding documentation. Read the article I provided and you will see that gay kids stayed at the bottom and were never able to advance.
    Yes, but even if they collapsed from exhaustion, as long as there were no medical issues, it's not abuse.

I read both articles and do not see your evidence.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 85x in 67 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, but even if they collapsed from exhaustion, as long as there were no medical issues, it's not abuse.

I read both articles and do not see your evidence.
    Fine. We don't have to agree. Any school in the US doing the kinds of things they did to children there would be shut down in a heart beat. I know because I work for two elementary schools and the measures employed by that school are abusive.

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,472x in 36,447 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Why do you take disagreement so personally, Sky?
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fine. We don't have to agree.
    No we don't, but I'm open to discussing the issue. In order to do that, I believe it is very important to have as many facts as possible. I asked you for evidence and you sent me on a wild goose chase. Now you are giving me the brush off with "Fine. We don't have to agree." Why? Are you trying to persuade people to your way of thinking or not?

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 85x in 67 Posts
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No we don't, but I'm open to discussing the issue. In order to do that, I believe it is very important to have as many facts as possible. I asked you for evidence and you sent me on a wild goose chase. Now you are giving me the brush off with "Fine. We don't have to agree." Why? Are you trying to persuade people to your way of thinking or not?
    No, I'm not trying to persuade anyone to my point of view. I'm interested in sharing my POV and reading others POV's.

+ Reply to Thread