Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,643x in 4,358 Posts
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rationalist View Post
    I can agree with that. Granted, I would say some of the social aspects of what we refer to as gender are biological in origin. I would also argue that a lot of the traditions that feminists have condemned actually worked to the advantage of women more often than not.
    Examples would include...?

Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,804
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first Group50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    IMPress Polly's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Update on Spinster

Spinster statistics one week in:

-55th largest instance in the entire Fediverse (up from 58th yesterday),
    -4,428 users (up from 4,250 less than day ago),
    -82,586 status posts, making it the 8th most active instance in the whole Fediverse,
    -1,615 peers,
    -0 sandwiches made,
    -Lots of pissed off misogynists.

Level completed: 21%, Points required for next Level: 1,118
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Social25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Retirednsmilin308's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,826x in 3,490 Posts
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMPress Polly View Post
    LOL, oooooh....myyy....god!

The COMPLETELY INSANE, over-the-top freakout over this development here I am admittedly finding hilarious and highly satisfying. I'm really glad I posted this here.

I LIKED your OP. I just hope they keep true to its origins.

I hate corporate sellout as much as I hate domineering control.
    They are creating this website to get away from all that.
    I hope they keep their eye on the goal posts and don't start banning people willy-nilly for saying something/anything in disagreement.
    They have just entered Zuckerberg's world if they do.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Retirednsmilin308 For This Useful Post:

IMPress Polly (08-21-2019)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Exactly. One does not have to even be a conservative at all to be labeled a "Nazi" in today's political climate and suffer all manner of cultural penalties.

As it pertains to feminists, the disingenuous conflation of feminist ideas with those of the Third Reich actually began with conservatives about a decade ago after right wing radio host Rush Limbaugh coined the term "feminazis" to describe ostensibly radical feminists (but actually just meant feminists in general). Today, radical feminists, and furthermore anyone with gender critical views really, are commonly branded as "Nazis" by the left as well. I get called one all the time by leftists and conservatives both, which I think any rational person would recognize as a patently absurd claim.

A lot of views that are today consigned to feminist radicals used to be the near-universal consensus of the women's movement as a whole. Four decades ago, it wasn't just the radical women like Kate Smith and Germaine Greer and Robin Morgan who rejected what we today would call transgenderism, but also the ordinary, mainstream liberal feminists like Gloria Steinem, Eleanor Smeal, and Betty Friedan. The women's movement used to likewise have consensus opposition to prostitution.

Today there are also all kinds of specialized misogynist slurs on the left to describe those of us who maintain such ostensibly hateful views: "terf", "swerf", etc. They don't even just stick with "transphobe" or "anti-sex" and so forth like they do for the men who maintain analogous views on these issues; they have to have separate, specialized terms that apply only to the women who do; insults applying only to feminists and lesbians. (The accepted terms describing our views on gender identity are gender critical or gender abolitionist because we aren't against trans-identified people, but against gender as an idea.)

I enjoyed reading this. You are very clear and concise in what you say.
    Consider me a long-time ally as my sister was always in your camp and she has always made just as much sense.

Though I do not understand the "terf" or "swerf" insulting terminology.
    Could you indulge an old sailor with an education?
    This way I can know its meaning if i ever see it again.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Retirednsmilin308 For This Useful Post:

Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 798
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    midcan5's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,497x in 1,841 Posts
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TIC Soon social media and gender issues will divide us into one million and forty five distinct entities and in order to feel at home and welcome, you will need to have tattooed on your forehead the symbol of your particular gender specific nomenclature. Stab at mine: married forever male liberal conservative photographer bicyclist semi retired slightly chauvinistic per my wife senior veteran well read always reading in bed by ten and up at five grandpop who loves quotes and words and the open road and american cars technician repair person loves his distinctly different grand-kids basically good soul dependent on definitions now indistinct and possibly changing.......

"Pascal feared that if men knew what each other thought of the other there would be no friends in the world." Eric Hoffer

"Men are so necessarily mad, that not to be mad would amount to another form of madness." Blaise Pascal

Navy Retired See here: https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=TERF
    Last edited by midcan5; 08-20-2019 at 08:18 AM.
    Wanna make America great, buy American owned, made in the USA, we do. AF Veteran, INFJ-A, I am not PC.

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." Voltaire

8. The Following User Says Thank You to midcan5 For This Useful Post:

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 91.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,525x in 94,386 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No. We will not have to have a symbol to let people know whether we are man or woman. Those who are confused over this can ask a normal.

Quote Originally Posted by midcan5 View Post
    TIC Soon social media and gender issues will divide us into one million and forty five distinct entities and in order to feel at home and welcome, you will need to have tattooed on your forehead the symbol of your particular gender specific nomenclature. Stab at mine: married forever male liberal conservative photographer bicyclist semi retired slightly chauvinistic per my wife senior veteran well read always reading in bed by ten and up at five grandpop who loves quotes and words and the open road and american cars technician repair person loves his distinctly different grand-kids basically good soul dependent on definitions now indistinct and possibly changing.......

"Pascal feared that if men knew what each other thought of the other there would be no friends in the world." Eric Hoffer

"Men are so necessarily mad, that not to be mad would amount to another form of madness." Blaise Pascal

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    No. We will not have to have a symbol to let people know whether we are man or woman. Those who are confused over this can ask a normal.
    I think he was joking, Peter.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to IMPress Polly For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (08-21-2019)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Retirednsmilin308 View Post
    I enjoyed reading this. You are very clear and concise in what you say.
    Consider me a long-time ally as my sister was always in your camp and she has always made just as much sense.

Though I do not understand the "terf" or "swerf" insulting terminology.
    Could you indulge an old sailor with an education?
    This way I can know its meaning if i ever see it again.
    Thanks! I try to be anyway. I struggle with conciseness, but I try.

Anyway, "terf" and "swerf" are internet-invented shorthands for "Trans-Exclusionary Radical Feminist" and "Sex Worker-Exclusionary Radical Feminist" respectively. No one ever uses these terms to describe themselves except in sarcasm because they are clearly meant to imply that gender critical views are motivated by hatred and bigotry, which just isn't the case. Taking "swerf" for example, I am a survivor of prostitution myself. I oppose the prostitution of women because it is harmful to women, not because I just hate prostitutes.

Neither is my opposition to gender driven by contempt for trans-identified people. I'm all for trans-identified people being protected under hate crime laws and being allowed to participate in the military and all that. I'm NOT a hateful person that way like our current president is. But womanhood is not a state of mind and treating it that way is not only kind of insulting, but also has the effect of drastically reducing the rights and freedoms we (women) are afforded. Transgendering is also just harmful to the mental health of trans-identified people themselves, I believe.

What makes these terms distinct from say calling someone a "transphobe" or "anti-sex" respectively is the fact that these versions apply only to women (and by no means just actual radfems either) and, as such, there is an implied threat behind them.

Anyone (probably a guy actually) might be called say a jerk or an $#@!, but there's a clear difference between the magnitude of these terms and the term $#@!. No one fears being physically attacked following on the utterance of "jerk" or "$#@!". The female-specific version, $#@!, however, carries an implied threat of violence. I, and many, many other women in this world, am inclined to reflexively raise an arm to shield myself when I hear that word directed at me because the next thing that happens after that might be a blow or an attempt at strangulation. That's its purpose. It's intended to create not just offense, but specifically fear.

It's the same with terms like "terf". One who is called a transphobe might be offended, but they don't realistically fear being attacked either physically or in an online capacity (like in a cyber-attack). One who is called the female-specific version of the same insult, a terf, by contrast, has good reason to fear. There's an implied threat behind that term. Therein lies the misogyny of it.
    Last edited by IMPress Polly; 08-21-2019 at 06:35 AM.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to IMPress Polly For This Useful Post:

Retirednsmilin308 (08-21-2019)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks! I try to be anyway. I struggle with conciseness, but I try.

Anyway, "terf" and "swerf" are internet-invented shorthands for "Trans-Exclusionary Radical Feminist" and "Sex Worker-Exclusionary Radical Feminist" respectively. No one ever uses these terms to describe themselves except in sarcasm because they are clearly meant to imply that gender critical views are motivated by hatred and bigotry, which just isn't the case. Taking "swerf" for example, I am a survivor of prostitution myself. I oppose the prostitution of women because it is harmful to women, not because I just hate prostitutes.

Neither is my opposition to gender driven by contempt for trans-identified people. I'm all for trans-identified people being protected under hate crime laws and being allowed to participate in the military and all that. I'm NOT a hateful person that way like our current president is. But womanhood is not a state of mind and treating it that way is not only kind of insulting, but also has the effect of drastically reducing the rights and freedoms we (women) are afforded. Transgendering is also just harmful to the mental health of trans-identified people themselves, I believe.

What makes these terms distinct from say calling someone a "transphobe" or "anti-sex" respectively is the fact that these versions apply only to women (and by no means just actual radfems either) and, as such, there is an implied threat behind them.

Anyone (probably a guy actually) might be called say a jerk or an $#@!, but there's a clear difference between the magnitude of these terms and the term $#@!. No one fears being physically attacked following on the utterance of "jerk" or "$#@!". The female-specific version, $#@!, however, carries an implied threat of violence. I, and many, many other women in this world, am inclined to reflexively raise an arm to shield myself when I hear that word directed at me because the next thing that happens after that might be a blow or an attempt at strangulation. That's its purpose. It's intended to create not just offense, but specifically fear.

It's the same with terms like "terf". One who is called a transphobe might be offended, but they don't realistically fear being attacked either physically or in an online capacity (like in a cyber-attack). One who is called the female-specific version of the same insult, a terf, by contrast, has good reason to fear. There's an implied threat behind that term. Therein lies the misogyny of it.
    You sound exactly like my dear sister.
    She was progressive in the late 60's and now is considered a radical because she knows being a woman is not a state of mind you can change at will.

We both agreed a wig, dress, and makeup DO NOT make a woman.
    Vanity Fair did not get that memo.
    Not only do they not, they also trivialize women in general by telling the world this is all you need to be equal to any woman.
    This lie seems to be the popular lie of the day right now.

Let's hope it passes and sanity returns at some point soon.

PS...I had no idea those insults are also generally followed by physical attacks.
    That crosses a line in so many different levels.

When is your next scheduled march or protest.
    I will start making a sign now.
    ...and wear my steel-toed boots.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Retirednsmilin308 For This Useful Post:

IMPress Polly (08-22-2019)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by midcan5 View Post

Damb...there sure was a lot of condescending hate in that link. Diversity of thought is not their strong point is it? Polly was right.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Retirednsmilin308 For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (08-21-2019)

+ Reply to Thread