Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,276x in 9,780 Posts
    Mentioned
    1541 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I always say, if the Shoes Fits, strut it proudly

So what you guys are saying, is that this individual don't speak for all Whyte People ...

Hummmm ... I wonder if she also has any Chicago expertise, being that she's in Portland.

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranYour first Group
    Captain Obvious's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 40,087x in 27,208 Posts
    Mentioned
    1041 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There was like zero chance of this thread turning into anything remotely productive.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Captain Obvious For This Useful Post:

Cthulhu (02-17-2017),Mister D (02-16-2017),resister (02-16-2017),The Xl (02-17-2017),Venus (02-16-2017)

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,473x in 36,448 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    There was like zero chance of this thread turning into anything remotely productive.
    Right. He's just babbling now because he doesn't know how to contribute to a serious discussion. Same old routine...
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 842
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,087x in 12,282 Posts
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The definition of "racism" proposed in the OP is far from new. I think I heard it first more than thirty years ago, in a televised panel discussion on the subject.

Cigar, would you be willing to try to explain to me why you think that this definition is more fair and accurate than a definition which would permit individuals other than White people to be guilty of racism?
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cigar's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,276x in 9,780 Posts
    Mentioned
    1541 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That's why you and your House Boys constantly Troll anything I post ... and it's not only allowed ... it's ignored.

But that's ok ... it won't stop me.

Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,903x in 54,720 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    Right. He's just babbling now because he doesn't know how to contribute to a serious discussion. Same old routine...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cigar View Post
    That's why you and your House Boys constantly Troll anything I post ... and it's not only allowed ... it's ignored.

But that's ok ... it won't stop me.
    notice

Notice

TBed from this OtSS thread.

If you have questions or concerns about this moderation action, please use the Report button to let us know.

Level completed: 78%, Points required for next Level: 160
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    Evmetro's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 220x in 161 Posts
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Race and Racism

Illumination Project Curriculum Materials
    By Dr. Rowan Wolf, Sociology Instructor and Caroline Le Guin,Writing Instructor Portland Community College Oregon
    INTRODUCTION
    There aren’t too many Americans who want to claim to be racist, and most people would like to believe they are “colorblind” when it comes to matters of race. But race and racism are integral and inescapable parts of our culture and social history. Race consciousness is key to how we learn to perceive ourselves and the people around us (even if we don’t always want to admit it); just think of how we describe people—“an elderly asian woman, about five foot three; a tall black man in his thirties, wearing a leather jacket”. In these “identifying descriptions”, race, along with gender, is essential,especially if it is other than white.
    Given the importance of race to our society, it’s remarkable how difficult it is to talk about and how complex the definitions of race and racism can be. In fact, the issues surrounding the definitions of race and racism are themselves a product of racism’s long and conflicted history in our society. Any discussion of race and racism probably should begin with definitions of the concepts involved, especially since there tends to be confusion and overlap between a lot of the terms.
    DEFINITION OF CONCEPTS
    Race:
    Race is a socially constructed artifact that categorizes people based on visual differences which are imputed to indicate invisible differences. These categorizations are amorphous and fluid over time which reflects their social rather than physical basis. Its significance arises out of the meanings we as societies assign to it, and the way we structure race in our societies. This structuring shapes what we refer to as "institutional racism" (defined below).

Racism:
    Racism can be defined simply as any policy, belief, attitude, action or inaction, which subordinates individuals or groups based on their race.What this definition leaves out, however, is the specific historical formation of racism as an institution and an ideology over the last several hundred years. Taking into consideration the social and historical perspective, Paula Rothenberg offers this more pointed—and useful--definition of racism.
    "Racism involves the subordination of people of color by white people. While individual persons of color may well discriminate against a white person or another person of color because of their race, this does not qualify as racism according to our definition because that person of color cannot depend upon all the institutions of society to enforce or extend his or her personal dislike. Nor can he or she call upon the force of history to reflect and enforce that prejudice. . . . History provides us with a long record of white people holding and using power and privilege over people of color to subordinate them,not the reverse."(Paula Rothenberg. Defining Racism and Sexism)

https://www.pcc.edu/resources/illumination/documents/race-and-racism-curriculum.pdf

This is racist. "Racism involves the subordination of people of color by white people. While individual persons of color may well discriminate against a white person or another person of color because of their race"

Level completed: 15%, Points required for next Level: 686
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Scrounger's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 311x in 237 Posts
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First ... what this is telling you is that Black People have opinions and First Hand Experiences, can we at least acknowledge that fact?

Second ... "I" ... "Personally" have never been "White" one second of my life, therefore I can't tell you how White People feel. Can I assume you haven't been Black either?

Third ... it isn't what people "say", it's what they "do" that defines them.
    I was responding to Safety... who appears to know more about how I feel than I do. But, I'll try to stipulate to your conditions. Some of us whites may have been black a few times in our lives. There are some experiences that black people think are unique to them and their situations, but they really aren't. I might be black.

Insofar as slavery, you are no more impacted by that than I am - having had ancestors that were slaves and that includes a 400 year period. We need to live in the here and now.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Scrounger For This Useful Post:

resister (02-16-2017)

Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,903x in 54,720 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Paula Rothenberg offers this more pointed—and useful--definition of racism.
    "Racism involves the subordination of people of color by white people. While individual persons of color may well discriminate against a white person or another person of color because of their race, this does not qualify as racism according to our definition because that person of color cannot depend upon all the institutions of society to enforce or extend his or her personal dislike. Nor can he or she call upon the force of history to reflect and enforce that prejudice. . . . History provides us with a long record of white people holding and using power and privilege over people of color to subordinate them,not the reverse."(Paula Rothenberg. Defining Racism and Sexism)
    That seems to be the object of contention.

My impression of what Rothenberg is trying to say is racism is where those of one race subordinate another race with institutional backing. He seems to be saying racism requires institutional subordination. He mentions white subordinating black not because that's the only possibility but because that's likely all he can think of. Things like a white only section becomes racist when the police come in and beat and arrest blacks who don't comply. Or maybe when whites beat blacks for not complying while the police do nothing.

Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 842
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,087x in 12,282 Posts
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If the four Chicago residents who kidnapped, beat and tortured a disabled White man, screaming racial epithets the whole time, are not racists, then - who is?
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

Cthulhu (02-17-2017),FindersKeepers (02-17-2017),resister (02-17-2017)

+ Reply to Thread