Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 41,580x in 26,042 Posts
    Mentioned
    1175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

John Oliver Takes On Abuse by Prosecutors

Comedic, yet entirely truthful and factual. No doubt the usual characters will hate it.
    Power always thinks it has a great soul, and vast views, beyond the comprehension of the weak. And that it is doing God service when it is violating all His laws.
    --John Adams

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ethereal For This Useful Post:

Common Sense (08-13-2018)

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,654x in 25,180 Posts
    Mentioned
    893 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is a real problem. It is critically important that we protect the Defendant's rights.
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

Admiral Ackbar (08-14-2018),Captdon (08-13-2018),Ethereal (08-13-2018)

Overall activity: 18.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteranYour first Group
    Ethereal's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 41,580x in 26,042 Posts
    Mentioned
    1175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGUtley View Post
    This is a real problem. It is critically important that we protect the Defendant's rights.
    Well, if the defendant is rich or connected or both, then their rights will probably be protected. However, for the rest of us, justice will remain elusive as long as the criminal justice system is used as a means of domestic oppression by the ruling class.
    Power always thinks it has a great soul, and vast views, beyond the comprehension of the weak. And that it is doing God service when it is violating all His laws.
    --John Adams

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ethereal For This Useful Post:

The Xl (08-13-2018)

tPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    893 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    Well, if the defendant is rich or connected or both, then their rights will probably be protected. However, for the rest of us, justice will remain elusive as long as the criminal justice system is used as a means of domestic oppression by the ruling class.
    I'm curious, how many prosecutors do you know? How many have you bowled, or played softball with? Golfed with? Watched a football game with? Had lunch or dinner with? How many times have you sat and talked with them or watched them negotiate these things? Seriously, how many times?

I've done it too many times to count. Because I've done it, the phrase: "the criminal just system is used as a means of domestic oppression by the ruling class" doesn't even begin to come to mind. It is so far from the truth.
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

8. The Following User Says Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

Docthehun (08-13-2018)

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,820
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    The Xl's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 19,793x in 11,974 Posts
    Mentioned
    433 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm curious, how many prosecutors do you know? How many have you bowled, or played softball with? Golfed with? Watched a football game with? Had lunch or dinner with? How many times have you sat and talked with them or watched them negotiate these things? Seriously, how many times?

I've done it too many times to count. Because I've done it, the phrase: "the criminal just system is used as a means of domestic oppression by the ruling class" doesn't even begin to come to mind. It is so far from the truth.
    Your personal anecdote doesn't jive with reality. The system only functions for the rich and powerful. Everyone else is at the mercy of the system.

Achievements:
    The Xl's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    433 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This isn't going to permeate the skulls those who have the money to thrive in these particular set of rules or those who stand to benefit from it. Harassment from the state often times either means prison or being forced to bankrupt yourself. Sometimes both.

Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,401
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Hoosier8's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 10,220x in 6,442 Posts
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Comedic, yet entirely truthful and factual. No doubt the usual characters will hate it.
    Pretty much sums up the Mueller prosecution with the fact that there is no underlying crime to start it in the first place.
    When Donald Trump said to protest “peacefully”, he meant violence.

When he told protesters to “go home”, he meant stay for an insurrection.

And when he told Brad Raffensperger to implement “whatever the correct legal remedy is”, he meant fraud.

War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.

tPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    893 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Xl View Post
    Your personal anecdote doesn't jive with reality. The system only functions for the rich and powerful. Everyone else is at the mercy of the system.
    It actually does. The foundation of your premise is faulty. These are people that are prosecutors. They aren't robots or government functionaries. They are people -- like you and me, from all backgrounds. In fact, they are typically the lower students that can't get jobs elsewhere that take jobs at the prosecutors office -- to get courtroom experience as young lawyers. You guys act like they aren't people, they are. These prosecutors cut people, poor people breaks constantly, all the time. I get it doesn't fit with your narrative, but it's the truth. Yes, there's overcharging -- and I think and agree it is a problem. I think it is done to ensure a conviction. The notion that the criminal justice system is used as a means of domestic oppression by the ruling class" is just nonsense. To some extent, it's used as a means of protection for the nonviolent, noncriminal class.

Does it function? Yes. Well? Fairly well. Perfect? No, but it is the best in the world. You have people trying to make it work, trying to protect the rights of the accused. I think you guys are wrong.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

Admiral Ackbar (08-14-2018),Docthehun (08-13-2018)

Achievements:
    The Xl's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    433 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It actually does. The foundation of your premise is faulty. These are people that are prosecutors. They aren't robots or government functionaries. They are people -- like you and me, from all backgrounds. In fact, they are typically the lower students that can't get jobs elsewhere that take jobs at the prosecutors office -- to get courtroom experience as young lawyers. You guys act like they aren't people, they are. These prosecutors cut people, poor people breaks constantly, all the time. I get it doesn't fit with your narrative, but it's the truth. Yes, there's overcharging -- and I think and agree it is a problem. I think it is done to ensure a conviction. The notion that the criminal justice system is used as a means of domestic oppression by the ruling class" is just nonsense. To some extent, it's used as a means of protection for the nonviolent, noncriminal class.

Does it function? Yes. Well? Fairly well. Perfect? No, but it is the best in the world. You have people trying to make it work, trying to protect the rights of the accused. I think you guys are wrong.
    Right, my narrative doesn't fit with reality, sure. That's why the wealthy spend upwards of 6, sometimes 7 figures on defense, $#@! normal people can't afford, quite literally, to do. That's why the wealthy can casually afford bail and many people can't, so their stuck in a cell waiting for their "due process."

The fact that your golf buddies with some prosecutors and they sometimes cut breaks for the poor doesn't change the fact that the system overwhelming favors the rich and the powerful and doesn't work for the lower classes. But hey, I get it, you work in the system, so you're going to defend it. You don't have to suffer the consequences of the system, and quite literally make a living off it, so it's of no consequence to you personally anyhow.

tPF Moderator
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    893 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Xl View Post
    Right, my narrative doesn't fit with reality, sure. That's why the wealthy spend upwards of 6, sometimes 7 figures on defense, $#@! normal people can't afford, quite literally, to do. That's why the wealthy can casually afford bail and many people can't, so their stuck in a cell waiting for their "due process." The fact that your golf buddies with some prosecutors and they sometimes cut breaks for the poor doesn't change the fact that the system overwhelming favors the rich and the powerful and doesn't work for the lower classes. But hey, I get it, you work in the system, so you're going to defend it. You don't have to suffer the consequences of the system, and quite literally make a living off it, so it's of no consequence to you personally anyhow.
    The "wealthy" spend for lawyers because they can. It's not their fault. If the crime is too serious or if you can't afford the bail, you sit. It is what it is. You blame the system for that?

I am not golf buddies with any prosecutors. You miss the point - these are people, not functionaries. The system doesn't favor the rich and powerful. Life does. If you have money, you can do more things and afford to do more things. It's not "the system" it's simple economics. If you don't have the means, you can't afford a private lawyer and you have to go with the public defender. Wow -- think about that -- the people give you a free lawyer and accord you all of these rights. Nonetheless, the rich and powerful get locked up all the time.

I do not work in the criminal justice system -- how many times do I have to tell you that. I would have to suffer the consequences of the system if I broke the law, just like you or anyone else. I would have the means to hire a private lawyer and would do so but the consequence of that would be a tremendous financial hit. I won't break the law so I don't have to worry about that.

+ Reply to Thread