User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: A Kid in Cincinnati Takes a Stand...

Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 1,456
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    stjames1_53's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 29,131x in 20,215 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Safety View Post
    Now that you have described yourself, what were you replying to me about?

Self reflection isn’t in your wheelhouse.
    8 posts by you so far, and none of them has anything to do with the OP...they are, every one of them, about you
    Do you have something to offer about the subject of this thread's OP?
    For waltky: http://quakes.globalincidentmap.com/
    "The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."
    - Thucydides

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" B. Franklin
    Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 74
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger Second ClassVeteran
    Safety's Avatar Nationalist
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 22,901x in 15,599 Posts
    Mentioned
    1237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stjames1_53 View Post
    8 posts by you so far, and none of them has anything to do with the OP...they are, every one of them, about you
    Do you have something to offer about the subject of this thread's OP?
    As long as you and your hack buddies continue to make it about me, I will oblige y’all.

You see, I left this thread to y’all yesterday at 4:15, but no, some of you just had to bring me into it again.
    “Conscientiously believing that the proper condition of the negro is slavery, or a complete subjection to the white man, and entertaining the belief that the day is not distant when the old Union will be restored with slavery nationally declared to be the proper condition of all of African descent, and in view of the future harmony and progress of all the States of America, I have been induced to issue this address, so that there may be no misunderstanding in the future”

- Jefferson Davis

Level completed: 58%, Points required for next Level: 1,456
    Overall activity: 30.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    stjames1_53's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 29,131x in 20,215 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so be it:
    Your first and last post, and those points in between, have had nothing to do with the OP
    Does the kid keep the ball or does he have to give it back?
    For waltky: http://quakes.globalincidentmap.com/
    "The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."
    - Thucydides

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" B. Franklin
    Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 53
    Overall activity: 0.3%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    nathanbforrest45's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 16,261x in 10,568 Posts
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just thought of another scenario regarding a home run ball. Suppose a major player hits a record breaking homer and you manage to catch that ball. The first thing I would think is "Wow, I just caught a $100,000.00 ball. You know that ball will fetch a good price to a collector. If the player wants it back or the team wants it back, ok but what are you offering me for the ball? Why would you give away a potential money ball? Why should a millionaire player or millionaire team owner reap the rewards for this ball?

Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,272
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranYour first Group
    jimmyz's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,315x in 4,381 Posts
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As long as you and your hack buddies continue to make it about me, I will oblige y’all.

You see, I left this thread to y’all yesterday at 4:15, but no, some of you just had to bring me into it again.
    Persecution complex on full display
    " I'm old-fashioned. I like two sexes! And another thing, all of a sudden I don't like being married to what is known as a 'new woman'. I want a wife, not a competitor. Competitor! Competitor!" - Spencer Tracy in 'Adam's Rib' (1949)

Art thou every retard among us related to thine uncle or mistress by way of moral or illegitimate rendezvous? Thus, we are one side of the other's coin by luck or pluck. - Jimmyz

6. The Following User Says Thank You to jimmyz For This Useful Post:

stjames1_53 (08-15-2018)

Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 1,326
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,009x in 12,235 Posts
    Mentioned
    414 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanbforrest45 View Post
    I just thought of another scenario regarding a home run ball. Suppose a major player hits a record breaking homer and you manage to catch that ball. The first thing I would think is "Wow, I just caught a $100,000.00 ball. You know that ball will fetch a good price to a collector. If the player wants it back or the team wants it back, ok but what are you offering me for the ball? Why would you give away a potential money ball? Why should a millionaire player or millionaire team owner reap the rewards for this ball?
    Often the team or the player do want the ball back in those situations...and of course no one in their right mind, not the most ardent home town team fan on the planet, is going to throw something like that back onto the field because the other team's player hit it. The team will immediately send someone to speak with the ball's new owner and find out whether they can negotiate a deal with them. How that turns out normally depends on how important the record or milestone was; a new home run record ball (McGwire, Aaron, Bonds) is going on the auction block, of course, but if it's something less historic - a player's 3000th hit, or it's from a retiring player's last at bat - the team or player may be able to get it for some game-used gear and autographs, maybe season tickets.
    "The first thing you want to do after being shot is make sure you are not shot again." - Ace Atkins

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak."
    - Larry McMurtry

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

nathanbforrest45 (08-16-2018)

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 53
    Overall activity: 0.3%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    nathanbforrest45's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 16,261x in 10,568 Posts
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    Often the team or the player do want the ball back in those situations...and of course no one in their right mind, not the most ardent home town team fan on the planet, is going to throw something like that back onto the field because the other team's player hit it. The team will immediately send someone to speak with the ball's new owner and find out whether they can negotiate a deal with them. How that turns out normally depends on how important the record or milestone was; a new home run record ball (McGwire, Aaron, Bonds) is going on the auction block, of course, but if it's something less historic - a player's 3000th hit, or it's from a retiring player's last at bat - the team or player may be able to get it for some game-used gear and autographs, maybe season tickets.
    Negotiate with my lawyer! I just saw where Hank Arron's autographed minor league ball when he played for Jacksonville was on the market for over $13,000.00. I am not letting it go for used game gear!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to nathanbforrest45 For This Useful Post:

stjames1_53 (08-19-2018)

Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 1,326
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,009x in 12,235 Posts
    Mentioned
    414 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanbforrest45 View Post
    Negotiate with my lawyer! I just saw where Hank Arron's autographed minor league ball when he played for Jacksonville was on the market for over $13,000.00. I am not letting it go for used game gear!
    That's a good example of something that, when it was initially obtained, was relatively worthless; it only accrued value because of who Aaron became and what he did later on in his career. Not every eventual star player or Hall of Fame inductee came into The Game as a celebrity. I bought a game-used Paul Goldschmidt bat in April of 2011, four months before his call-up to the Majors, for twenty dollars. By the end of the year I was being offered as much as $300 for it, and now I see his bats going for as much as a grand.

On the other hand, I have hundreds of bats and signed baseballs of guys who played three years in the minor leagues and are now back in their home towns teaching PhysEd or selling insurance. It's a crapshoot.

Then, too, you've got to remember that just because something is "on the market" for a certain price doesn't mean anyone is ever actually going to pay that for it. You can go on EBay right now see some ludicrous starting bids set on items that are barely worth what they want to charge for shipping.

Funny story about autographs. During the Arizona Fall League a couple of years ago, a minor league pitcher from the Brewers organization was signing for some fans, and one of them asked him to inscribe a ball "See you in Milwaukee". He asked the fan to spell Milwaukee for him, which the fan started to do, then he stopped and said, "Are you serious?" and the player said, "Yep. That's why I play Baseball."
    "The first thing you want to do after being shot is make sure you are not shot again." - Ace Atkins

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak."
    - Larry McMurtry

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdriveSocial
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Tahuyaman's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 76,737x in 55,433 Posts
    Mentioned
    695 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I prefer a father teaching his son about competitive rivalry vs him teaching his son inaccuracies such as the Confederate flag being about heritage not hate.

Oh, and before the usual suspects jump in to accuse me of anything, remember who just asked about kneeling during the anthem. If he is allowed to speak about things he feels strongly about, I am as well.

Oh for crying out loud...

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdriveSocial
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Tahuyaman's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 76,737x in 55,433 Posts
    Mentioned
    695 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    Each of you is as off-topic as the other. Every once in a while I get the idea that it might be possible to post about something and have it amicably discussed without politics and personalities getting in the way, but I'm inevitably proved wrong. Thanks for screwing up the thread, guys.
    I don't believe throwing an opposing home run ball back onto the field is a big deal one way or the other. I don't think the father was teaching his son how to be a jerk.

I attended an all star game in Seattle. Cal Ripkin Jr hit a home run. I believe it was known that this would be Ripkin's final all star game. A guy sitting about six rows from me caught the ball. He shocked me when he threw that ball back onto the field. That one I didn't get.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Tahuyaman For This Useful Post:

stjames1_53 (08-19-2018)

+ Reply to Thread