User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Read Some Banned Feminist Literature!

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,896x in 54,714 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMPress Polly View Post
    Exactly. I feel that we are at a place in this country right now where people broadly do not tolerate ideas that differ from their own; where the president leads his followers in boycotting news networks, stations, even athletic events that are anything other than mindless propaganda for his agenda. And the phenomenon is replicated among leftists. Critical thinking as a concept is at a premium right now, I feel. I feel that political bigotry is a real thing too that we are presently living with here in the Western world of today.

There was a time when women like Sheila Jeffreys and Mary Daly could not only speak on a university campus, but actually be esteemed professors in their fields! There was a time when women like these could get on television and make their case without the network being boycotted in protest just for having them. They weren't exactly popular, but they were allowed. I mean here it is: here is Sheila Jeffreys going on a TV talk show in 1990 to present her case against heterosexuality, taking on (including the host) no less than four detractors simultaneously, and holding up remarkably well under those circumstances:

That era is clearly over. That would not be allowed to happen today. I kind of miss that aspect of the past.

What's remarkable today are two things. One, the feminist movement hasn't been resisted, banned, or anything of the sort. People have simply lost interest in it. I can see why. It wants to tear down what it sees as a male-dominated, partiarchal soceity, but it offers nothing to put up in its place, leaving people isolated and anxious. It's no different than any liberal movement since the Enlightenment. Two, what is resisted, banned and etc is not those leftist views, since they dominate the universities and public square, but reactions on the right against all that post-modern, neo-Marxist decadence and decay.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,804
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first Group50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    IMPress Polly's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,643x in 4,358 Posts
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    Could I ask you to post a link to that video? For some reason I haven't been able to view videos on this board for a long time...I have no idea why.
    The problem is that when I simply post a link to a YouTube video here on PF, it automatically turns into an ingrained video when I click the Post button. I'll have to modify the link slightly:

https://www.youtube .com/watch?v=bNOF8z6O5i0 <-- I have created a space between the term "youtube" and the ".com" part so that it won't post in video form. In order to go to the link, copy/paste the URL into your address bar and backspace the ".com" part once so that it reconnects to the "youtube" part, then press Enter.

Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 879
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,087x in 12,282 Posts
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMPress Polly View Post
    The problem is that when I simply post a link to a YouTube video here on PF, it automatically turns into an ingrained video when I click the Post button. I'll have to modify the link slightly:

https://www.youtube .com/watch?v=bNOF8z6O5i0 <-- I have created a space between the term "youtube" and the ".com" part so that it won't post in video form. In order to go to the link, copy/paste the URL into your address bar and backspace the ".com" part once so that it reconnects to the "youtube" part, then press Enter.
    Okay, thanks.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

+ Reply to Thread