Quote Originally Posted by IMPress Polly View Post
Exactly. I feel that we are at a place in this country right now where people broadly do not tolerate ideas that differ from their own; where the president leads his followers in boycotting news networks, stations, even athletic events that are anything other than mindless propaganda for his agenda. And the phenomenon is replicated among leftists. Critical thinking as a concept is at a premium right now, I feel. I feel that political bigotry is a real thing too that we are presently living with here in the Western world of today.

There was a time when women like Sheila Jeffreys and Mary Daly could not only speak on a university campus, but actually be esteemed professors in their fields! There was a time when women like these could get on television and make their case without the network being boycotted in protest just for having them. They weren't exactly popular, but they were allowed. I mean here it is: here is Sheila Jeffreys going on a TV talk show in 1990 to present her case against heterosexuality, taking on (including the host) no less than four detractors simultaneously, and holding up remarkably well under those circumstances:

That era is clearly over. That would not be allowed to happen today. I kind of miss that aspect of the past.

What's remarkable today are two things. One, the feminist movement hasn't been resisted, banned, or anything of the sort. People have simply lost interest in it. I can see why. It wants to tear down what it sees as a male-dominated, partiarchal soceity, but it offers nothing to put up in its place, leaving people isolated and anxious. It's no different than any liberal movement since the Enlightenment. Two, what is resisted, banned and etc is not those leftist views, since they dominate the universities and public square, but reactions on the right against all that post-modern, neo-Marxist decadence and decay.