Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,643x in 4,358 Posts
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ninja Refuses to Stream With Female Gamers

So the most prominent Fortnite (that's a very popular social video game) streamer on Twitch, Tyler "Ninja" Blevins, who has more than 10 million subscribers, is pulling a Mike Pence and refusing to stream with female gamers, period. "I don't play with female gamers", he explains, because "If I have one conversation with one female streamer where we’re playing with one another, and even if there’s a hint of flirting, that is going to be taken and going to be put on every single video and be clickbait forever." He continues: "The only way to avoid [the rumors] is to not play with them at all." He would know, as someone who has been known to treat other male gamers in precisely that very manner himself, using his platform to ask invasive questions about relationships with female gamers, press the issue, start rumors going, and then just leave them hanging in the air for obvious YouTube clickbait purposes. (Example.) Anyway, it's all about protecting his wife from rumors, he says. (See the Pence parallel?)

This development is generating a lot of attention in gaming spaces; most of it disapproving. While I wouldn't go as far as some in my criticism, I do think this is a problematic move.

My thoughts:

1) Some feel that this is a cynical, intentionally sexist gesture by Ninja. I don't think that Ninja's actual intention here is malign. I believe this is being done in ignorance. I believe he is genuinely concerned about the welfare of his marriage. I can understand that. But I do think it's nonetheless something that's damaging to female pro gamers, who are few and far between and could really use visible platforms like Ninja's. I don't believe he's really thinking about the damage that someone of his profile and stature taking this kind of stance publicly can do. Other prominent male streamers could begin to follow his example and cut off female gamers from gaining more visibility and success in streaming.

2) It's also kind of a reflection of male privilege in gaming in a way. I mean just that he has the option of permanently playing in single-sex environments. Women are so wildly outnumbered in pro gaming that...is that even possible for women? Is it even possible for female pro gamers to permanently play in female-only environments, for example? Could a female streamer even do this for the well-being of her marriage? I mean without going broke for lack of visibility?

3) Also, if he's worried about this pattern of rumor-based clickbaiting on the Internet, maybe he shouldn't treat other male gamers the way he worries about being treated in the first place! Be part of the solution, not part of the problem! Don't be a hypocrite!
    Last edited by IMPress Polly; 08-18-2018 at 12:32 PM.

Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 401
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Social1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Brat's Avatar Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 116x in 79 Posts
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow that is a not-very-secure relationship he has with his wife. "A hint of flirting"? Are you kidding, Ninja? Either you trust each other or you don't. Do you let her leave the house alone?
    Proud Boomer, Trump Fan, Not PC but very opinionated. Keep America Great!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Brat For This Useful Post:

Mr.Soxes (08-18-2018)

Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 654
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,522x in 14,781 Posts
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMPress Polly View Post
    So the most prominent Fortnite (that's a very popular social video game) streamer on Twitch, Tyler "Ninja" Blevins, who has more than 10 million subscribers, is pulling a Mike Pence and refusing to stream with female gamers, period. "I don't play with female gamers", he explains, because "If I have one conversation with one female streamer where we’re playing with one another, and even if there’s a hint of flirting, that is going to be taken and going to be put on every single video and be clickbait forever." He continues: "The only way to avoid [the rumors] is to not play with them at all." He would know, as someone who has been known to treat other male gamers in precisely that very manner himself, using his platform to ask invasive questions about relationships with female gamers, press the issue, start rumors going, and then just leave them hanging in the air for obvious YouTube clickbait purposes. (Example.) Anyway, it's all about protecting his wife from rumors, he says. (See the Pence parallel?)

This development is generating a lot of attention in gaming spaces; most of it disapproving. While I wouldn't go as far as some in my criticism, I do think this is a problematic move.

My thoughts:

1) Some feel that this is a cynical, intentionally sexist gesture by Ninja. I don't think that Ninja's actual intention here is malign. I believe this is being done in ignorance. I believe he is genuinely concerned about the welfare of his marriage. I can understand that. But I do think it's nonetheless something that's damaging to female pro gamers, who are few and far between and could really use visible platforms like Ninja's. I don't believe he's really thinking about the damage that someone of his profile and stature taking this kind of stance publicly can do. Other prominent male streamers could begin to follow his example and cut off female gamers from gaining more visibility and success in streaming.

2) It's also kind of a reflection of male privilege in gaming in a way. I mean just that he has the option of permanently playing in single-sex environments. Women are so wildly outnumbered in pro gaming that...is that even possible for women? Is it even possible for female pro gamers to permanently play in female-only environments, for example? Could a female streamer even do this for the well-being of her marriage? I mean without going broke for lack of visibility?

3) Also, if he's worried about this pattern of rumor-based clickbaiting on the Internet, maybe he shouldn't treat other male gamers the way he worries about being treated in the first place! Be part of the solution, not part of the problem! Don't be a hypocrite!
    Actually I don't blame him . The world being what it is. That's a similar reason to why I would ban all workplace romance if I owned a company that employed people.
    Males feel like they have a target on their backs sometimes
    Last edited by donttread; 08-18-2018 at 04:42 PM.

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 41.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,475x in 36,449 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    What is a pro gamer?
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 654
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,522x in 14,781 Posts
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    What is a pro gamer?

Yup. people make a living playing video games!

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donttread View Post
    Yup. people make a living playing video games!
    I was holding out hope that that was not the case. I need a drink.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Mister D For This Useful Post:

donttread (08-18-2018)

Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,804
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first Group50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    IMPress Polly's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,643x in 4,358 Posts
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What is a pro gamer?
    It's somebody who makes a living by either streaming their game play online because they're really talented at this or that game or combination of games and loads of people will want to watch, or by competing in tournaments (which now offer pretty lavish prizes), or some combination of those things.

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMPress Polly View Post
    It's somebody who makes a living by either streaming their game play online because they're really talented at this or that game or combination of games and loads of people will want to watch, or by competing in tournaments (which now offer pretty lavish prizes), or some combination of those things.
    I'm on drink 5 so whatever but thanks for the explanation.

~Alain de Benoist

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mister D For This Useful Post:

IMPress Polly (08-19-2018)

Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 2,853
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,935x in 8,813 Posts
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm on drink 5 so whatever but thanks for the explanation.
    Like everything else in life, "sports" is going virtual. Clearly, it has fewer restrictions than live sports, but we are still talking about the consumption of competitive games as entertainment. People also actually make a living playing online poker. Welcome to the 21st century.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 1,132
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cletus's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 27,383x in 15,850 Posts
    Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Brat View Post
    Wow that is a not-very-secure relationship he has with his wife. "A hint of flirting"? Are you kidding, Ninja? Either you trust each other or you don't. Do you let her leave the house alone?
    I don't think it is about his wife. It is more about false accusations being made by some of the feminist nutcases out there.
    “Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue.” - Barry Goldwater

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Cletus For This Useful Post:

MisterVeritis (11-02-2018)

+ Reply to Thread