User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gender Is a Construct—Except When It’s Not

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 91.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,899x in 54,716 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trish View Post
    I am looking at it from a research perspective and how products impact sex and gender. SABV is the new wave in research these days.
    And that is what the OP looked at. That gender hasn't been normally considered in scientific research but that, given the many gender differences between men and women, it out to be. Feminist want to muddy the water by insisting it's all social construct ("the idea that men are naturally this way (commanding, dominant) and women are naturally that way (docile, submissive)," which I didn't see in the OP) and identity.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 220
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Trish's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,754x in 2,330 Posts
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    And that is what the OP looked at. That gender hasn't been normally considered in scientific research but that, given the many gender differences between men and women, it out to be. Feminist want to muddy the water by insisting it's all social construct ("the idea that men are naturally this way (commanding, dominant) and women are naturally that way (docile, submissive)," which I didn't see in the OP) and identity.
    Hmmmmm......I've been very ill lately so perhaps my cognitive skills are lacking. hahahahaha

I honestly didn't get that from the piece. My impression was that gender was being tied to behavior which is not what my point was related to. Am I missing something?

Sorry if I'm not comprehending. I'm going to go back and re-read.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmmmmm......I've been very ill lately so perhaps my cognitive skills are lacking. hahahahaha

I honestly didn't get that from the piece. My impression was that gender was being tied to behavior which is not what my point was related to. Am I missing something?

Sorry if I'm not comprehending. I'm going to go back and re-read.
    I went back and re-read the article. My bad totally. I have no idea how I mucked this up.

I'm not sure that we can scratch women as a sub population just yet. We are definitely expanding the research dollars on SABV but we still have strides to make on minority women, older women and women with disabilities. The research community was not prepared for this explosion on gender identity. We have practically no data on transgenders but I imagine that will be changing.

I'm not sure I can speak about behavior. I'm feeling a bit dense tonight AND I'm not a scientist. :0)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Trish For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (08-19-2018)

tPF Moderator
    Overall activity: 69.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,038x in 24,874 Posts
    Mentioned
    886 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMPress Polly View Post
    This! Gender refers to not to one's biology, but to those cultural characteristics people call masculinity and femininity; the idea that men are naturally this way (commanding, dominant) and women are naturally that way (docile, submissive).
    I disagree. Gender = chromosomal status.
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

Brat (08-21-2018)

Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I went back and re-read the article. My bad totally. I have no idea how I mucked this up.

I'm not sure that we can scratch women as a sub population just yet. We are definitely expanding the research dollars on SABV but we still have strides to make on minority women, older women and women with disabilities. The research community was not prepared for this explosion on gender identity. We have practically no data on transgenders but I imagine that will be changing.

I'm not sure I can speak about behavior. I'm feeling a bit dense tonight AND I'm not a scientist. :0)
    Don't worry about it.

It's good that research is starting to look at women.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 733
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,514x in 14,777 Posts
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "Sex" is a biological variable, not gender.
    Meaning what exactly?

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donttread View Post
    Meaning what exactly?
    Meaning that when researchers are developing their study plans they need to include sex as a variable just as they would age and weight. Sex and gender differences exist but most basic science research is conducted based on a male model. You boys are so darn special but we're catching up and demanding to be recognized!

:0)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Trish For This Useful Post:

Chris (08-21-2018)

Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 293
    Overall activity: 0.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    MissMollyMee's Avatar Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 15x in 15 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    GDUTLEY...

Well how we define gender is considered a social construct. We as a society in the English language call men men, and women women. In spanish, they call boys chico and girls chica. That's there social construct. We could one day adopt those words as a meaning of gender too, or we could stay to how we define gender.

Biologically speaking, there are a couple variations of chromosomes. There are xx, xy, xxxi, xxyy....etc...What chromosomes do is provide a instruction manual on what the body is going to do and how to do it.

So unless we have a chromosome scanner, you urself cannot be sure if another person has similar chromosomes to you because you also have to remember that as species, we reproduce. Meaning, our dna is slightly different from eachother hence why we have ppl who are immune to different diseases...eventually natural selection will take its place.

So Gdutley, if we look at clownfish (finding Nemo fish), what happens when a female dies and all thats left is male clownfish? One male will transition to female and reproduction resumes. Could this happen with humans? If we configure our DNA to do so or if we evolve to do so, sure!! It may already be in the works naturally, maybe in a 1000 more years....however, human now have the power to transition from male to female or female to male by just blocking one chemical and adding another...amazing and simple right??? I think so. There are also studies in the UK about making a synthetic birth canal for transgender women and infertile women to give birth...I think that could be something that's good to know.

It's a scientific breakthrough that can be useful in the future, especially if we conduct interplanetary trips that could take lightyears....

So back to ur regular statement since I educated you on gender and chromosomes as well as a bit of biology, gender does not = chromosome makeup just because of how complicated gender has become to define however, if u identify as one gender, there is no stopping me from saying otherwise because it's a social construct that is changeable.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MissMollyMee View Post
    GDUTLEY...

Well how we define gender is considered a social construct. We as a society in the English language call men men, and women women. In spanish, they call boys chico and girls chica. That's there social construct. We could one day adopt those words as a meaning of gender too, or we could stay to how we define gender.

Biologically speaking, there are a couple variations of chromosomes. There are xx, xy, xxxi, xxyy....etc...What chromosomes do is provide a instruction manual on what the body is going to do and how to do it.

So unless we have a chromosome scanner, you urself cannot be sure if another person has similar chromosomes to you because you also have to remember that as species, we reproduce. Meaning, our dna is slightly different from eachother hence why we have ppl who are immune to different diseases...eventually natural selection will take its place.

So Gdutley, if we look at clownfish (finding Nemo fish), what happens when a female dies and all thats left is male clownfish? One male will transition to female and reproduction resumes. Could this happen with humans? If we configure our DNA to do so or if we evolve to do so, sure!! It may already be in the works naturally, maybe in a 1000 more years....however, human now have the power to transition from male to female or female to male by just blocking one chemical and adding another...amazing and simple right??? I think so. There are also studies in the UK about making a synthetic birth canal for transgender women and infertile women to give birth...I think that could be something that's good to know.

It's a scientific breakthrough that can be useful in the future, especially if we conduct interplanetary trips that could take lightyears....

So back to ur regular statement since I educated you on gender and chromosomes as well as a bit of biology, gender does not = chromosome makeup just because of how complicated gender has become to define however, if u identify as one gender, there is no stopping me from saying otherwise because it's a social construct that is changeable.

Level completed: 42%, Points required for next Level: 293
    Overall activity: 0.0%
    Achievements:
    1000 Experience PointsVeteran
    MissMollyMee's Avatar Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 15x in 15 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great video. I mean I had no idea that there was 72 genders floating around...I honestly thought there were 2... I think I heard of someone saying there were 15...I guess that could be in correlation to how there chromosomes are...hmm I will look into that however...

Let's talk about male and female vs transgender....cuz I dont know about the other genders too new...

Chromosomes define how q person is going to form. Doesnt necessaraly mean there mind forms towards one gender or the other automatically. We have to account for androgens and estrogen levels in a person before, during, and after puberty. Development from person to person is rather different...

The mind makes up what the person feels as and I can personally understand the torture of thinking and feeling like one gender and looking like the other in a mirror and seeing another gender just to realize there needs to be a physical changed because there was a mistake... however some people will never understand the feeling because their minds consider with their bodies.

That's just my take on life

14. The Following User Says Thank You to MissMollyMee For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (02-24-2019)

+ Reply to Thread