Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,244x in 949 Posts
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Solar Power Revolution and Global Post Scarcity Society

I predict that the Solar Power Revolution will take place about 2050-2100. It will produce great economic growth and a Global Post Scarcity Economy. Even though I possess neither a crystal ball nor a gift of prophecy, in this nanoessay I will make a case for aforementioned claims based on historical patterns. According to Wikipedia, "in a post-scarcity World, most goods will be produced in great abundance with minimal human labor need". Hopefully, an era of Universal Well-Being is less then a century away.

In order to understand the impact of the upcoming Solar Power Revolution, we must understand the impact of the Industrial Revolution which took place about 1820-1970. Throughout History, technology has advanced at an accelerating rate. During the Industrial Revolution, several important changes occurred as a result of technological advancement. The amount of motive power per capita has increased about 85 times. In the pre-industrial society from Ancient Egypt to about 1800 CE, the motive power per capita was 350 kwh/year mainly in the form of draft animal and later water mill power. In USA from about 1980 until now, the motive power per capita is 30,000 kwh/year mainly in the form of electric and automotive power.

Increase in motive power during the Industrial Revolution enabled a great increase in manufacturing output. As a result, there was a great increase in the material standard of living. US real GNP per capita increased by a factor of 45 between 1790 and 2012.

From about 1970 to present, the motive power per capita in the Developed Nations did not grow substantially. The maximum power output based on fossil fuel utilization has been reached. Even though there have been significant developments in technology including the Computer Revolution and the Internet, power technology has lagged behind.

Many scientists predict that Solar Power will become the main source of energy by 2050 or 2060. My prediction is that it will not only be the main source of power but it will also usher a new Industrial Revolution about 2050 -- 2100. I predict that the new Industrial Revolution will be driven by the 60-fold increase in Global Energy Consumption. The calculation is presented in the next paragraph.

According to "Global Energy Forecast to 2100" by Euan Mearns, the Global Energy Consumption should grow from 13.2 billion ton of oil equivalent (toe) in 2015 to 20 billion toe in 2050. Given that the conversion efficiency of primary movers is about 35%, that would mean a growth from 55 trillion kwh to 80 trillion kwh. How much energy can we generate by covering all the deserts with 16% efficient solar cells? The total desert area on Earth is 14 million square kilometers. Each square meter of the desert receives about 2,200 kwh/year of solar energy. Thus the total energy would be

14 trillion m2 * 2,200 kwh/year/m2 * .16 = about 5,000 trillion kwh.

The power output may be further increased by addition of floating Solar Power stations. Some scientists propose space-based Solar Power, but such technology is very complicated and should be at least a century away.

The Solar Power Revolution will produce great wealth for some entrepreneurs. Possibly, some of them will become trillionaires. It will make the nations containing Sahara richer then Saudi Arabia is now. Ethiopia, which is currently one of the poorest nations of the World will have a material standard of living better then USA 2018. The Solar Power Revolution will also increase Global Industrial Output at least 30 times and it will improve the standard of living of all people.

The World in 2100 should be much more affluent then Modern World. Current World population is 7.4 billion and Gross World Product is $108 Trillion (CIA World Factbook). We can assume that population will increase to 30 billion and Gross World Product will increase 30 times due to the new Industrial Revolution. Then global income per capita will be about $110,000 per year. Global energy consumption per capita will be 170,000 kwh/year -- over 5 times more then in USA 2018.

Great improvements in technology and medicine will also improve the standard of living of most people. Self driving cars should replace manually driven cars in 2030s and 2040s. That will decrease motor vehicle accident rate by several orders of magnitude. Robotic Revolution will make manufacturing, distribution, and sale of goods almost labour-free. Internet speed will further increase, and new generations of Social Media will appear. Advances in Medicine will greatly improve people's health.

Hopefully the Post Scarcity Society will provide material well-being, high quality of medical care, and high quality of life to all people in the World. Prior to the Industrial Revolution, the majority of people had to be poor due to low productive capability. In USA 2018, only a minority of people suffer poverty. We can hope that the next Industrial Revolution will make poverty a thing of the past.

Even though some people see Work as a noble pursuit, for many people it is a genuine curse. Hopefully, this curse will become a thing of the past. Hopefully, most people will live lives of affluence and devote their mental energy to spiritual and intellectual pursuits.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CCitizen For This Useful Post:

Captdon (08-22-2018),Peter1469 (08-22-2018)

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 53
    Overall activity: 0.3%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    nathanbforrest45's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 16,261x in 10,568 Posts
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its all Trump's fault

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 148,542x in 94,964 Posts
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CCitizen View Post
    I predict that the Solar Power Revolution will take place about 2050-2100. It will produce great economic growth and a Global Post Scarcity Economy. Even though I possess neither a crystal ball nor a gift of prophecy, in this nanoessay I will make a case for aforementioned claims based on historical patterns. According to Wikipedia, "in a post-scarcity World, most goods will be produced in great abundance with minimal human labor need". Hopefully, an era of Universal Well-Being is less then a century away.

In order to understand the impact of the upcoming Solar Power Revolution, we must understand the impact of the Industrial Revolution which took place about 1820-1970. Throughout History, technology has advanced at an accelerating rate. During the Industrial Revolution, several important changes occurred as a result of technological advancement. The amount of motive power per capita has increased about 85 times. In the pre-industrial society from Ancient Egypt to about 1800 CE, the motive power per capita was 350 kwh/year mainly in the form of draft animal and later water mill power. In USA from about 1980 until now, the motive power per capita is 30,000 kwh/year mainly in the form of electric and automotive power.

Increase in motive power during the Industrial Revolution enabled a great increase in manufacturing output. As a result, there was a great increase in the material standard of living. US real GNP per capita increased by a factor of 45 between 1790 and 2012.

From about 1970 to present, the motive power per capita in the Developed Nations did not grow substantially. The maximum power output based on fossil fuel utilization has been reached. Even though there have been significant developments in technology including the Computer Revolution and the Internet, power technology has lagged behind.

Many scientists predict that Solar Power will become the main source of energy by 2050 or 2060. My prediction is that it will not only be the main source of power but it will also usher a new Industrial Revolution about 2050 -- 2100. I predict that the new Industrial Revolution will be driven by the 60-fold increase in Global Energy Consumption. The calculation is presented in the next paragraph.

According to "Global Energy Forecast to 2100" by Euan Mearns, the Global Energy Consumption should grow from 13.2 billion ton of oil equivalent (toe) in 2015 to 20 billion toe in 2050. Given that the conversion efficiency of primary movers is about 35%, that would mean a growth from 55 trillion kwh to 80 trillion kwh. How much energy can we generate by covering all the deserts with 16% efficient solar cells? The total desert area on Earth is 14 million square kilometers. Each square meter of the desert receives about 2,200 kwh/year of solar energy. Thus the total energy would be

14 trillion m2 * 2,200 kwh/year/m2 * .16 = about 5,000 trillion kwh.

The power output may be further increased by addition of floating Solar Power stations. Some scientists propose space-based Solar Power, but such technology is very complicated and should be at least a century away.

The Solar Power Revolution will produce great wealth for some entrepreneurs. Possibly, some of them will become trillionaires. It will make the nations containing Sahara richer then Saudi Arabia is now. Ethiopia, which is currently one of the poorest nations of the World will have a material standard of living better then USA 2018. The Solar Power Revolution will also increase Global Industrial Output at least 30 times and it will improve the standard of living of all people.

The World in 2100 should be much more affluent then Modern World. Current World population is 7.4 billion and Gross World Product is $108 Trillion (CIA World Factbook). We can assume that population will increase to 30 billion and Gross World Product will increase 30 times due to the new Industrial Revolution. Then global income per capita will be about $110,000 per year. Global energy consumption per capita will be 170,000 kwh/year -- over 5 times more then in USA 2018.

Great improvements in technology and medicine will also improve the standard of living of most people. Self driving cars should replace manually driven cars in 2030s and 2040s. That will decrease motor vehicle accident rate by several orders of magnitude. Robotic Revolution will make manufacturing, distribution, and sale of goods almost labour-free. Internet speed will further increase, and new generations of Social Media will appear. Advances in Medicine will greatly improve people's health.

Hopefully the Post Scarcity Society will provide material well-being, high quality of medical care, and high quality of life to all people in the World. Prior to the Industrial Revolution, the majority of people had to be poor due to low productive capability. In USA 2018, only a minority of people suffer poverty. We can hope that the next Industrial Revolution will make poverty a thing of the past.

Even though some people see Work as a noble pursuit, for many people it is a genuine curse. Hopefully, this curse will become a thing of the past. Hopefully, most people will live lives of affluence and devote their mental energy to spiritual and intellectual pursuits.
    I agree. I posted an article a while back that predicted solar would power ~80 of human needs by 2080 or so.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

CCitizen (08-22-2018)

Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 628
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    CCitizen's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    I agree. I posted an article a while back that predicted solar would power ~80 of human needs by 2080 or so.
    By now this is sort of Common Knowledge.

I am 47 -- so I would likely not see a Post Scarcity Society.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to CCitizen For This Useful Post:

Captdon (08-22-2018)

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    By now this is sort of Common Knowledge.

I am 47 -- so I would likely not see a Post Scarcity Society.
    I am 48, but I know that it is coming.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Captdon (08-22-2018),CCitizen (08-22-2018)

Level completed: 52%, Points required for next Level: 628
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    CCitizen's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am 48, but I know that it is coming.
    Colonization of the Solar System and building a Dyson Sphere will be the next step in Human Civilization, but it will happen during the next century.

Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 79
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Captdon's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,872x in 10,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think it will because it's cheaper in the end. A lot of people have to change though. Here in the SC Republic solar panels on homes can't exceed 2%. Yes, i wrote 2%.

We here have a long way to go.
    Liberals are a clear and present danger to our nation
    Pick your enemies carefully.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Captdon For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (08-22-2018)

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Colonization of the Solar System and building a Dyson Sphere will be the next step in Human Civilization, but it will happen during the next century.
    A Dyson Sphere might be longer off than that. But I agree about the solar system.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

CCitizen (08-23-2018)

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captdon View Post
    I think it will because it's cheaper in the end. A lot of people have to change though. Here in the SC Republic solar panels on homes can't exceed 2%. Yes, i wrote 2%.

We here have a long way to go.
    True.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

+ Reply to Thread