Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,837x in 10,134 Posts
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGUtley View Post
    I'm troubled by the segregation of schools however I'm willing to try it (or almost anything) to save these kids. I'm not an educator so if these professionals think it's a good idea to try the Africentric Schools to try to save these kids, let's try it. I think there's one in Columbus that's been very well received. Let's think outside the box to try to save these kids.
    How is it legal? I don't disagree with it but how can it be legal?
    Liberals are a clear and present danger to our nation
    Pick your enemies carefully.

Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 327
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Captdon's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adelaide View Post
    Generally, racism towards black Canadians is not very apparent, although I thought it was clever that the author called it "polite racism".
    Perhaps that's because they are fewer of them. I never saw much racism when My father was on recruiting duty and we lived in town with few blacks.

Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 327
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Captdon's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    Apparently it goes something like that. But my point was more focused on the writer's references to "white" behavior and "black" behavior. I would be very interested in hearing his - or any other Black person's, really - explanation of what constitutes either one or both of those categories of behavior. He believes that black people need a place where they can feel free to be black; I'm just curious as to what that would mean to him....what he thinks behaving like a black person would look like. I won't even attempt to speculate, because it would be super easy to fall into stereotyping of a possibly racist nature. I have to wonder whether he walks around campus shaking his head in dismay when he sees another black student "acting white".
    This is interesting. Maybe there is some truth to that if there if even minor harassment or "making fun of" is present. I believe whites are not welcome around groups of black majority events.

Maybe be make too much of this melting pot and diversity beliefs. I have no real relation with a black exempt my niece's husband. Other than that I have never been friend's outside of work with a black nor had one ever expressed an interest in being my friend.

I don't see any loss for me or for them. I'm married to a Cherokee and have three great-grandchildren who are Hispanic and don't look at them that way except when someone brings it up.

The problem i have is thet it is always a one way street. You can have an all-black event but not an all-white one. Iknow all the excuses but it still makes it a one way street.

I am ecaxtly one-fourth German, Irish, Scot and English.Yet I have been called a racist when I join an Irish group or a German group.

We do need to put an end to PC or we will fail to be.

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 2,012
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassCreated Album picturesYour first GroupRecommendation First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Adelaide's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,449x in 11,739 Posts
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captdon View Post
    Perhaps that's because they are fewer of them. I never saw much racism when My father was on recruiting duty and we lived in town with few blacks.
    20% of our population is foreign-born - that's the highest rate among G8 countries, and only Australia surpasses us outside of the G8 countries. Most of those people are visual minorities; South-Asian, Chinese, and Black immigrants account for more than 60%, then there are those from the Middle East, Carribean, South America, Central America, and Africa. We know a thing a or two about race, ethnicity, and culture. We do lack the history that the United States has with African-Americans; Canada mainly enslaved aboriginals, slavery was abolished in tandem with the UK in the mid-1790s (before the US), and we were the desired destination for those who used the underground railroad. From that point in history to the present day, individuals who are black will have different experiences in each country because of the historical differences, though there are similarities also. There is a Canadian branch of the KKK, segregation occurred (albeit differently) until the 1940s/1950s, and visual minorities face the same challenges in Canada as the United States in terms of being more likely to experience discrimination by police, more likely to be incarcerated, and more likely to live in poverty... but aboriginals in Canada are more likely to experience higher levels of discrimination (institutional and otherwise).

Basically, if you switch it out and apply this discussion to aboriginals in Canada, it would probably be equivalent or even worse than what black Americans experience. We are not a homogenous country that has little exposure to diversity but are the exact opposite of that. The number of black Canadians doesn't really matter if we are discussing racism, ethnocentricity and/or segregation. We also definitely have our flaws at the individual, societal and institutional levels.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Adelaide For This Useful Post:

Captdon (09-07-2018)

Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 1,139
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cthulhu's Avatar Senior Member
    The spaces between cognitive thought and passive nightmares
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 8,079x in 5,392 Posts
    Mentioned
    577 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    Segregation is a reality of American (and Canadian) life. My only objections here are that it is being officially enforced and that this all seems to be predicated on victim status. Otherwise, who cares?
    Kinda my thoughts.

Keep government out of it. Let people self organize as they see fit.

Just don't get butt hurt once white people start doing it too.

Sent from my evil cell phone.
    "For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places."

Ephesians 6:12

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Cthulhu For This Useful Post:

Chris (09-07-2018)

Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 1,139
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cthulhu's Avatar Senior Member
    The spaces between cognitive thought and passive nightmares
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 8,079x in 5,392 Posts
    Mentioned
    577 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    Undecided between incoherent and sinister.
    Option C : both.

Sent from my evil cell phone.
    "For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places."

Ephesians 6:12

+ Reply to Thread