Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,323x in 10,925 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tech Physicists actually solved the chicken or egg conundrum

It’s the age-old question that always sparks debate.

The “chicken or egg” paradox was first proposed by philosophers in ancient Greece to describe the problem of determining cause and effect.

Now a team of physicists from the University of Queensland and the NÉEL Institute has shown that the chicken and the egg can both come first.

Still don’t get it? The answer lies in quantum physics. We’ll let the experts explain.

Jacqui Romero said that in quantum physics, cause and effect was not always as straightforward as one event causing another.

“The weirdness of quantum mechanics means that events can happen without a set order,” Romero said. “Take the example of your daily trip to work, where you travel partly by bus and partly by train.

“Normally, you would take the bus then the train, or the other way round. In our experiment, both of these events can happen first.

“This is called ‘indefinite causal order’ and it isn’t something that we can observe in our everyday life.”

To observe this effect in the lab, the researchers used a setup called a photonic quantum switch.

Fabio Costa said that with this device the order of events — transformations on the shape of light — depends on polarization.

“By measuring the polarization of the photons at the output of the quantum switch, we were able to show the order of transformations on the shape of light was not set,” he said.

“This is just a first proof of principle, but on a larger scale indefinite causal order can have real practical applications, like making computers more efficient or improving communication.”

Still confused?

This study is obviously physics-based, unlike others that have claimed to have scientifically proved that the chicken came first using other methods.
    In 2014, British scientists used a supercomputer to look in such detail at a chicken eggshell that they were able to determine the vital role of a protein used to kickstart the egg’s formation.
    That protein is only found in — you guessed it — a chicken.
    But chickens did not really start as chickens anyway.
    The very first chicken in existence would have been the result of a genetic mutation taking place in a zygote produced by two almost-chickens.
    With amniotic eggs showing up roughly 340 million or so years ago, and the first chickens evolving at around 58 thousand years ago at the earliest, others believe the safe bet is the egg came first.
    Sorry if we didn’t really help solve the dinner table argument!

https://nypost.com/2018/09/05/physic...egg-conundrum/
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 35.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteranYour first Group
    Ethereal's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 41,578x in 26,040 Posts
    Mentioned
    1175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The egg came first.

The Copenhagen interpretation of quantum mechanics is nonsense on stilts.

That is all.
    Power always thinks it has a great soul, and vast views, beyond the comprehension of the weak. And that it is doing God service when it is violating all His laws.
    --John Adams

Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 2,313
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,044x in 8,893 Posts
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    The egg came first.

The Copenhagen interpretation of quantum mechanics is nonsense on stilts.

That is all.
    Once the chicken's most distant ancestors stopped reproducing by binary fission and evolved into an egg-laying lizard, it evolved into an egg-laying chicken. The first pre-chicken laid the first purely chicken egg. Thus in that sense, the chicken egg, came before the chicken.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

Standing Wolf (09-06-2018)

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdriveTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    MMC's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,167x in 27,728 Posts
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    History does not long Entrust the care of Freedom, to the Weak or Timid!!!!! Dwight D. Eisenhower ~

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 82
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,619x in 14,840 Posts
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    It’s the age-old question that always sparks debate.

The “chicken or egg” paradox was first proposed by philosophers in ancient Greece to describe the problem of determining cause and effect.

Now a team of physicists from the University of Queensland and the NÉEL Institute has shown that the chicken and the egg can both come first.

Still don’t get it? The answer lies in quantum physics. We’ll let the experts explain.

Jacqui Romero said that in quantum physics, cause and effect was not always as straightforward as one event causing another.

“The weirdness of quantum mechanics means that events can happen without a set order,” Romero said. “Take the example of your daily trip to work, where you travel partly by bus and partly by train.

“Normally, you would take the bus then the train, or the other way round. In our experiment, both of these events can happen first.

“This is called ‘indefinite causal order’ and it isn’t something that we can observe in our everyday life.”

To observe this effect in the lab, the researchers used a setup called a photonic quantum switch.

Fabio Costa said that with this device the order of events — transformations on the shape of light — depends on polarization.

“By measuring the polarization of the photons at the output of the quantum switch, we were able to show the order of transformations on the shape of light was not set,” he said.

“This is just a first proof of principle, but on a larger scale indefinite causal order can have real practical applications, like making computers more efficient or improving communication.”

Still confused?

This study is obviously physics-based, unlike others that have claimed to have scientifically proved that the chicken came first using other methods.
    In 2014, British scientists used a supercomputer to look in such detail at a chicken eggshell that they were able to determine the vital role of a protein used to kickstart the egg’s formation.
    That protein is only found in — you guessed it — a chicken.
    But chickens did not really start as chickens anyway.
    The very first chicken in existence would have been the result of a genetic mutation taking place in a zygote produced by two almost-chickens.
    With amniotic eggs showing up roughly 340 million or so years ago, and the first chickens evolving at around 58 thousand years ago at the earliest, others believe the safe bet is the egg came first.
    Sorry if we didn’t really help solve the dinner table argument!

https://nypost.com/2018/09/05/physic...egg-conundrum/

I've always said the egg, because whatever laid it wasn't quite a chicken . If it was it would of come from a chicken egg. I didn't read this answer yet until after I post this.

Level completed: 37%, Points required for next Level: 508
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    littlejohn's Avatar Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 50x in 36 Posts
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good Morning ! Interesting thread. I promised I was gonna take a quick look and get outta here, but this one grabbed me. I hate it when that happens.
    This being the Pub, which grants license to pub-like behavior, please enjoy (or endure) the paraphrased unsupported version of my opinion.

The quantum theories cannot be ignored but have a way to go. In my more or less humble opinion, our science teams don't yet have what they need to see that as clearly as they need to. My hope would be for a touch more continued effort on "what is this" before we get too far into basing our thinking around it.
    And no, I am not a physicist.

Secondly, I did my own work on chickens and eggs. Just guessing, I would say I logged somewhere between 2 or 3 hours on the topic over the last 40 years.
    Unequivocally, (which allows us to be innocent of philosophy) the egg came first.

+ Reply to Thread