Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 16,117x in 11,350 Posts
    Mentioned
    544 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lummy View Post
    May I suggest you take stuff anywhere but Goodwill. Goodwill is one money-making nonprofit, and their prices are often not Good. Goodwill has big corporate offices all over the place. They are way over the top.

There are alternatives. Veterans have worthwhile used goods stores as do Catholics and other churches.

Just a suggestion, of course, but I don't use Goodwill. It flaunts too much money, IMHO.
    Goodwill up here in Toronto ended up closing all of their stores in the city. They were so poorly mismanaged that they ended up going broke in a business where their inventory costs them nothing.

I agree that there are far better places to donate to.

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 413
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassSocial25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Lummy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,307x in 4,359 Posts
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here are some of their corporate offices:

https://www.google.com/search?q=good...w=1084&bih=671

Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 327
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Captdon's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,837x in 10,134 Posts
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep stuff I might use someday. That's everything.
    Liberals are a clear and present danger to our nation
    Pick your enemies carefully.

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Just AnotherPerson's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,554x in 5,668 Posts
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aw stuff. About 13 years ago I lived in an apartment and it burned down. Some neighbor had ripped someone off for 20 dollars so they burnt his duplex down and mine was attatched. Well it was really easy to de-junk that day This was back when i lived in arizona. I wrote a haiku on the spot as we sat out in the darkness watching our apartment burn down. I will share it.

Shaddows dancing
    Flames lick the sky
    everything back to the earth

So anyways, the years went by after that we moved back to washington state. Somehow the house got piled up with junk more than ever befeore. Not really stuff I bought, but alot of it was gifts that were always being given to me, it became so much that my house was getting full. I didnt have the heart to get rid of them, becsue the things were given to me with kindness. I know all about the book collections too. I had a huge book collection I turned my upstaris landing into a library with a sitting area for reading.

We had decided that we wanted to sell our house, and move. So we realized we needed to get rid of the clutter and depersonalize our home. I gave almost everything away. I figured as long as I am alive I will still hold dear in my heart all of the kind gifts every one had bought me. It is not really getting rid of anything because it still lives in my heart. I only kept a small shelf of my most precious books. And just some clothes, I totaly liberated myself from the things I held dear. I thought, we cant take them with us when we die. They are only here for us to use while we are alive.

You know what I wasn't really too sad either. I actually felt kind of liberated, and it was amazing to just have space and clean lines in the house. The only one thing that I did have that I really was attached to was my candle collection and large candle holders and my angel statue. That was really my only possessions that I had, that I chose for myself that was a bit hard to part with. I still think of them from time to time. I love to light candles.

I now only have a few simple things, only things that I know I will use. I never buy anything if it is not practical. I like the space. But it is really amazing how fast stuff can accumulate.

I have a neighbor who is a hoarder those guys can barely walk in their house. They have boxes stacked to the ceiling. They have a pathway through the boxes and a tiny space to sit down. They are still constantly buying stuff. They have a garage and a house and several storage units that are full. I wonder what is the point of buying something if it is so cluttered that you cant even see it to enjoy it? I don't know that is just me. I do have a few boxes of random things I cant part with though like my little sisters drawings. I have everyone of them that she ever drew since she was like 4 years old. I cant part with those.
    We are all brothers and sisters in humanity. We are all made from the same dust of stars. We cannot be separated because all life is interconnected.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

Standing Wolf (09-26-2018)

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 69.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,039x in 24,874 Posts
    Mentioned
    886 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve been de-stuffing for a few years now. I like it. It is freeing. Why did I, a lawyer, have 5 circular saws?
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 413
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassSocial25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Lummy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,307x in 4,359 Posts
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captdon View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Captdon View Post
    I do too. I'm getting really terrible doing that. I'm almost -- but not quite -- a hoarder, and I never used to be that way. Of course, I have given the change some thought, and there seem a couple of reasons for it, at least in my case:

1. it serves, albeit ineffectually, to preserve the past;
    2 it serves, less ineffectually, as something of an anchor for stability in a world literally controlled by a bunch of dope-smoking, airhead freaks who live for the present.

Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 1,527
    Overall activity: 15.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Abby08's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 29,996x in 18,678 Posts
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Stuff.....it's amazing how fast it can accumulate. I didn't realize how much stuff I had, until I was packing boxes to move.

Small kitchen appliances, some never used and, I can't even remember when I bought them, I kept a couple and, put the rest into the donate pile.

Cookware, bakeware, dinnerware etc.... there's only two of us and, we seldom have guests for dinner.... like, never, lol....more in the donation pile.

The storage shed got cleaned out last weekend ...one of them, anyway, my husband's shed, the one with all the important tools... I won't even go in there, it's jamb packed, that's for him to sort out.

Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 839
    Overall activity: 39.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,088x in 12,283 Posts
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGUtley View Post
    I’ve been de-stuffing for a few years now. I like it. It is freeing. Why did I, a lawyer, have 5 circular saws?
    Indispensable for disposing of potential hostile witnesses and disgruntled clients. So I hear.

As I get older I find myself starting to buy something and then stopping and thinking, who is going to want this when I assume room temperature? Am I going to find myself trying to sell it on EBay in five years and losing money on it? (That has happened a few times.) Is it destined to just sit in a box in the closet till I forget that I own it?

Free stuff is the hardest to resist, I think. Somebody is giving something away, and I reflexively think, grab it, it's free! The wife is subject to that, as well, and sometimes I think we tend to enable one another in that way of thinking. (You don't say anything about the twenty boxes of books in the garage, and I won't mention the bench swing and the pallet of glass bricks in the side yard.)

Sometimes I think that if I could go back in time and save all the money that I spent on stuff that I ended up not really caring about, I could buy a summer home in Prescott.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

Abby08 (09-26-2018)

Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,315x in 10,924 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I always saved leftovers from any project, repair or maintenance I did on my houses. I had plumbing, electrical, carpentry tools, everything ya need for paint and more, hole diggers, every electrical tool known to man.

Some of the leftovers i used alot I did not so they accumulated, when I was finally moving to florida, the moving guy came in and said if you are moving all these tools its going to cost you alot more. So I destuffed and man I could not BELIEVE how much stuff I had stuffed all over the place.
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranYour first Group
    Captain Obvious's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 40,087x in 27,208 Posts
    Mentioned
    1041 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My stuff is ugly

It really is but I'm happy with it
    my junk is ugly

+ Reply to Thread