Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,872x in 10,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hurricane season

It's hurricane season again. This one is looking nastier than usual. It's starting to look like three, one right after another. People here are all panicky.

Me? Nah, I'm 10 miles or so from the coast. Unless it comes right up the harbor I'm relatively safe. Wind damage but not mush else.

Do I leave or do I stay? I will leave if it's mandatory but not otherwise. My neighbor across from me told me to leave when I want, he's got me covered. He's not going. One of his rooms looks like an armory.

I do expect to lose power a good bit.
    Liberals are a clear and present danger to our nation
    Pick your enemies carefully.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Captdon For This Useful Post:

Common (09-10-2018)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,323x in 10,925 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ive been in fla 14 hurricane seasons, Sept thru Nov are always the worst times.

In 14 yrs ive only lost power for 5 days and that was last season, ive had no damage to my home or property.

Its the super rich that live on the water, they are constantly putting in claims and thats why the rest of us pay a fortune in hurricane insurance
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 79
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Captdon's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    Ive been in fla 14 hurricane seasons, Sept thru Nov are always the worst times.

In 14 yrs ive only lost power for 5 days and that was last season, ive had no damage to my home or property.

Its the super rich that live on the water, they are constantly putting in claims and thats why the rest of us pay a fortune in hurricane insurance
    I've been here for 21 and we had one- Matthew last year. I live in a no flood zone so power and some fallen limbs is all i worry about.

These three coming in seem to be headed my way.

Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 266
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    zachroidott's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 566x in 460 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captdon View Post
    It's hurricane season again. This one is looking nastier than usual. It's starting to look like three, one right after another. People here are all panicky.

Me? Nah, I'm 10 miles or so from the coast. Unless it comes right up the harbor I'm relatively safe. Wind damage but not mush else.

Do I leave or do I stay? I will leave if it's mandatory but not otherwise. My neighbor across from me told me to leave when I want, he's got me covered. He's not going. One of his rooms looks like an armory.

You should really invest in a genny that close to the coast. I learned post-Ike. Good luck.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zachroidott View Post
    You should really invest in a genny that close to the coast. I learned post-Ike. Good luck.
    My son-in-law has one. After a while I'll go over there. Cheaper than buying one.

Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 266
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    zachroidott's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 566x in 460 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My son-in-law has one. After a while I'll go over there. Cheaper than buying one.
    You were already way ahead of me.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to zachroidott For This Useful Post:

Captdon (09-11-2018)

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,723
    Achievements:
    VeteranSocial50000 Experience Points
    gamewell45's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,568x in 4,623 Posts
    Mentioned
    249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My son lives in SC down in the low country; he told us tonight that the evacuation has been cancelled by the governor so I guess they feel comfortable enough that the brunt of the storm will miss them. I'm happy for him since last year he lost his house due to the hurricane that hit where he lived. Hopefully the storm turns out to sea before it hits land and really does some damage.
    God Bless America, God Bless our Military and God Bless the Police who defended the country against the insurgents on January 6, 2021

Think 3rd party for 2024 folks. Clean up America.

Once I tell you that we agree to disagree there will be no more discussion between us in the thread so please don't waste your time continuing to argue your points because I will not respond.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gamewell45 View Post
    My son lives in SC down in the low country; he told us tonight that the evacuation has been cancelled by the governor so I guess they feel comfortable enough that the brunt of the storm will miss them. I'm happy for him since last year he lost his house due to the hurricane that hit where he lived. Hopefully the storm turns out to sea before it hits land and really does some damage.
    Sorry about your boy. Hurricanes are a $#@!. I live in the low country. It's called that because we aren't much above sea level. Downtown Charleston is below sea level.

I went through my first last year. It wasn't a 4 but a 3 can do damage. I'm far enough off the coast( 7-10 miles) that I have the beach but not the threat.

I don't flood or get that much wind damage. I won't get flooded no matter what but the wind could take me out.

The oddity down here is that NC gets hit every time. I don't get that.
    Last edited by Captdon; 09-11-2018 at 07:39 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Captdon For This Useful Post:

gamewell45 (09-11-2018)

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,723
    Achievements:
    VeteranSocial50000 Experience Points
    gamewell45's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,568x in 4,623 Posts
    Mentioned
    249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry about your boy. Hurricanes are a $#@!. I live in the low country. It's called that because we aren't much above sea level. Downtown Charleston is below sea level.

I went through my first last year. It wasn't a 4 but a 3 can do damage. I'm far enough off the coast( 7-10 miles) that I have the beach but not the threat.

I don't flood or get that much wind damage. I won't get flooded no matter what but the wind could take me out.

The oddity down here is that NC gets hit every time. I don't get that.
    Your lucky you don't get much wind damage. that's what destroyed his house last year during hurricane Matthew; brand new house and two huge trees came down on the house; that combined with rain getting inside the house literally destroyed the inside. He and his wife ended up having another house built on some different property; like you he's about the same distance from the coast (no beach tho' Just the May river nearby lol) but i guess if the hurricane is powerful enough you're still going to get hammered. I agree that its odd that NC gets nailed a lot when hurricanes strike, especially the outer banks; maybe its the air/sea currents down there?

Anyhow glad the brunt of it is going to miss you guys down there; be safe.
    God Bless America, God Bless our Military and God Bless the Police who defended the country against the insurgents on January 6, 2021

Think 3rd party for 2024 folks. Clean up America.

Once I tell you that we agree to disagree there will be no more discussion between us in the thread so please don't waste your time continuing to argue your points because I will not respond.

Level completed: 69%, Points required for next Level: 496
    Achievements:
    VeteranTagger First Class25000 Experience PointsSocial
    waltky's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,140x in 1,616 Posts
    Mentioned
    46 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question

September Is Peak Hurricane Season. Why Is That?...

September Is Peak Hurricane Season. Why Is That?
    September 14, 2018 • September 10 is the day you're statistically most likely to find a tropical cyclone somewhere in the Atlantic basin. The reason has to do with both wind and water.[/i]
    Hurricane Florence made landfall Friday morning in North Carolina. While people along large swathes of the Eastern Seaboard have been dreading the storm for days, you can say one thing: it arrived right on time. We are smack-dab in the middle of Atlantic hurricane season, which runs from June 1 to November 30. Nearly all tropical storm activity in the Atlantic basin occurs between those dates. The season peaks between August and October, with September 10 as the day you're statistically most likely to find a tropical cyclone somewhere in the Atlantic basin. Why? The answer has to do with both wind and water.

A satellite image shows Hurricane Florence on the eastern coast of the United States

Wind shear is the variation of the wind's speed or direction over a short distance within the atmosphere. Stronger wind shear in the spring fades through June and July, and by late August, wind shear reaches a minimum. That's too bad, because wind shear can prevent weather systems from organizing into a tropical cyclone. Then there's the temperature of the ocean. The water temperature in the deep tropics rises as summer goes on – the result of sunny days, warmer air temperatures, and more moisture in the atmosphere. Warmer ocean temperatures drive greater storm activity. Lack of wind shear in the atmosphere? Check. Tropical waters as warm as a bathtub? Check.

Put those together, and waves off of Africa can strengthen into a hurricane like Florence. "Hurricanes start simply with the evaporation of warm seawater, which pumps water into the lower atmosphere," NOAA explains. "This humid air is then dragged aloft when converging winds collide and turn upwards. At higher altitudes, water vapor starts to condense into clouds and rain, releasing heat that warms the surrounding air, causing it to rise as well. As the air far above the sea rushes upward, even more warm moist air spirals in from along the surface to replace it."

The number of tropical storm and hurricane days for the Atlantic Basin spikes in mid-September.

In its most recent forecast released last month, forecasters at NOAA's Climate Prediction Center said that odds were good for a below-normal Atlantic hurricane season. They predicted nine to 13 named storms, four to seven hurricanes, and two or fewer major hurricanes during the entirety of the season. To date, this hurricane season has produced ten named storms, of which four were hurricanes. So far, Florence is the only one classified as major. Despite Florence's outsize presence at the moment, NOAA says its forecast from last month still seems on target. "This year, despite the recent uptick in activity, the overall activity remains typical of a less active season," Gerry Bell, NOAA's lead hurricane season forecaster, wrote in an email to NPR. "The recent flare-up in activity is associated with an enhanced west African monsoon system, which has been helping to fuel the development of storms over the far eastern Atlantic."

MORE

+ Reply to Thread