Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,554x in 5,668 Posts
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    Americans won't care about what happens in Yemen unless they're told to care by the government and the media.

As it stands, what little they have said about Yemen leans heavily in favor of Saudi Arabia.

Given that, many Americans, if they bother to say anything about Yemen, will attempt to rationalize and/or justify what is essentially the Holocaust of the 21st century with lame references to Iran's "malign influence" in the region, as if Iran is so bad that containing them legitimizes the starvation of millions of innocent people.

So I commend your desire to discuss this momentous issue, but the most you can expect will be brainless parroting of government talking points.
    My main point is that we ourselves are supplying arms to the people who are killing these people. I think we should stop supplying the arms that are killing the innocent. Many other nations have suspended supplying Saudi arms because of the atrocities. I get it that we are in deep with Saudi even if it was not for trumps business ties, Obama had these same atrocities happening on his watch too. The people were dying there by the thousands while he was president. There was also a media black out while he was president. People were starving then too. But it is much more intense now. Because Trump likes to make everything he does bigger and better. He is going over the top and now rather than it being hundreds of thousands starving wich was and unimaginable atrocity in its own right, it is millions and millions and millions.

The only reason I even learned about Yemen is because I was doing in depth research on Saudi ties and it wasn't until several months of research that I stumbled upon what was truly happening in Yemen. The only part that was on our news was the bus of children who were bombed It is not something I had heard on the news, or on this forum and I was shocked to my core as why not! I knew immediately this needed to be brought to the light.

It needs brought to attention. I also see that earlier on we were conducing bombing campaigns there our self, but of all the news sources I found seemed to sugar coats it saying we are just supplying the arms, and fueling, and some missile strikes at the request of Saudi. The small news that I could find does not say the real truth. The news is also saying the Houthis are Iran backed, but earlier reports I mean from a few years ago were saying they didn't know that for sure. It was just speculated. Also earlier news reports indicated that we were hunting Al-Qaida in Yemen, and bombing it heavily. Reports have come out of Yemen that say we were supplying arms to Al-Qaida in Yemen.

There are a lot of conflicting statements but after reading through hundreds of articles from several years back to the present you can start to piece together a picture of the jist of what is happening.

I understand that Saudi is a key alliance in the middle east, and we have invested interests with them. But to turn a blind eye while they slaughter the innocent and to be supplying them in doing to, assisting them is the same as us doing it ourselves. I am not ok with comiting mass murder in my name. I just am not. That is just me.

I also understand that when we intervene nothing good comes of it, we just end up bombing what is left of them into the stone age while saying we are bringing them democracy. I know how it works, I am not naïve.

But this is a story that has been purposefully hidden from all of us on purpose, and the only things that are hidden from the light are usually when they is something wrong. I believe it is something that needs to come to attention. It has been slowly I have been doing searches since the day I found out what was happening, and before there was nothing but now there is starting to be stories being picked up. They are limited though and are not telling the whole truth, they are not emphasizing the eminence of the true seriousness of the humanitarian emergency.

I understand that the media is not picking up on the story even though it is real fuel that they could be using to target trump because the faction they are from also backs Saudi's crimes. I get that. But really this needs to come to light. If the American population were to realize what was happening and the extent of it there would be outrage and a demand for it to end. The main reason that this war is happening is the vying for that all important straight for the transportation of oil. It sucks to be a nation that has resources and not have arms to defend yourself. Or to be a major area that is important for the transportation of oil. Your lives are as good as garbage, when it comes to the powerful of the world and their never ending greed for control, and domination of all strategic positions which gives them great power and wealth. But that power and wealth is fueled by the blood of the innocent. It don't sit well with me at all.

Saudi wants to go on the open stock exchange because it wants to make large sums of money in order to fund a projected 500billion dollar project called Vision 2030. I read their vision. I cant say I find any faults in their vision it sounds like an amazing place. Its a some what democratic monarchy that they envision allowing the people to have a voice. It claims that they want to have peace and social justice and green energy, and it focuses on sports and arts so that the people can flourish. It speaks of equality. But I think actions speak louder than words. What they are doing in Yemen does not match up with their so called ideals. I understand they want to be and advanced civilization using new technologies and using robots to service the needs of the people. They may also be heavily investing in AI, and the UAE is going in head first with it. They want to be an advanced society with fairness for all and to live in peace. But they are doing something contrary to that as we speak.

All I see in the news headlines is how we are going after trump for offenses that mean nothing to most. No one cares who he slept with. They are just distracting us from the real crimes that he is committing because their side is also in deep with Saudi. That is one finger they don't want to point even though it could take Trump down. Keep in mind I am against impeachment as I have said many times because Pence is a no go! But this really really really needs to be brought to attention. It is starting to come out though, although as you said mostly in the favor of Saudi Arabia.

The more I researched the more I realized that there is still hope to stop the blockade and try to save the lives of 18 million people. Just like @MisterVeritis was not going to be quiet about McCain until the media stopped praising McCain, because he thought McCain was not worth giving respect to. I also believe we should not stop raising our voices until the people of Yemen are given some food, and we stop supplying arms to those who are committing genocide.

But, given all of that, I understand what you have said.
    We are all brothers and sisters in humanity. We are all made from the same dust of stars. We cannot be separated because all life is interconnected.

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Just AnotherPerson's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    If the Media and no one is talking about it.....just what are those government talking points?
    It is in the OP
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...en/1283798002/

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/12/w...o-certify.html
    We are all brothers and sisters in humanity. We are all made from the same dust of stars. We cannot be separated because all life is interconnected.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captdon View Post
    Where's the concern for Ethiopia and Sudan and any other place? Seems pretty choosy to me. Where's the concern for Chad? More of an anti-SA rant than true concern.
    There is concern but that is another topic, a different situation.

Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 764
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,510x in 14,774 Posts
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Americans won't care about what happens in Yemen unless they're told to care by the government and the media.

As it stands, what little they have said about Yemen leans heavily in favor of Saudi Arabia.

Given that, many Americans, if they bother to say anything about Yemen, will attempt to rationalize and/or justify what is essentially the Holocaust of the 21st century with lame references to Iran's "malign influence" in the region, as if Iran is so bad that containing them legitimizes the starvation of millions of innocent people.

So I commend your desire to discuss this momentous issue, but the most you can expect will be brainless parroting of government talking points.

Can you imagine the dirt the Royal Family has on admins back to the Bush's and beyond? Man I hope they get pissed off enough to give that info up in my lifetime.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to donttread For This Useful Post:

Ethereal (09-15-2018),Just AnotherPerson (09-14-2018)

Level completed: 81%, Points required for next Level: 764
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,510x in 14,774 Posts
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captdon View Post
    Where's the concern for Ethiopia and Sudan and any other place? Seems pretty choosy to me. Where's the concern for Chad? More of an anti-SA rant than true concern.
    My take away from the whole situation is that the Saudis are little if any better than any group we've gone after but we partnered with them while wrongly invading Iraq. Let's look at the other side of your point , if human rights was the issue why only limited interventions in the places you mention? Who has actually profited from the ME wars? The people who could be free of foreign oil by now and know the grand children their sacrificed sons and daughters might have produced?
    Or the super rich and politicians. Add the true cost of these wars to the price of oil and alternate energy would own the day by now. But maybe not on an umbilical cord and we can't have that kind of energy freedom among the peasants.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to donttread For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (09-14-2018)

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdriveTagger First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    MMC's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 39,163x in 27,727 Posts
    Mentioned
    243 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just AnotherPerson View Post
    My main point is that we ourselves are supplying arms to the people who are killing these people. I think we should stop supplying the arms that are killing the innocent. Many other nations have suspended supplying Saudi arms because of the atrocities. I get it that we are in deep with Saudi even if it was not for trumps business ties, Obama had these same atrocities happening on his watch too. The people were dying there by the thousands while he was president. There was also a media black out while he was president. People were starving then too. But it is much more intense now. Because Trump likes to make everything he does bigger and better. He is going over the top and now rather than it being hundreds of thousands starving wich was and unimaginable atrocity in its own right, it is millions and millions and millions.

The only reason I even learned about Yemen is because I was doing in depth research on Saudi ties and it wasn't until several months of research that I stumbled upon what was truly happening in Yemen. The only part that was on our news was the bus of children who were bombed It is not something I had heard on the news, or on this forum and I was shocked to my core as why not! I knew immediately this needed to be brought to the light.

It needs brought to attention. I also see that earlier on we were conducing bombing campaigns there our self, but of all the news sources I found seemed to sugar coats it saying we are just supplying the arms, and fueling, and some missile strikes at the request of Saudi. The small news that I could find does not say the real truth. The news is also saying the Houthis are Iran backed, but earlier reports I mean from a few years ago were saying they didn't know that for sure. It was just speculated. Also earlier news reports indicated that we were hunting Al-Qaida in Yemen, and bombing it heavily. Reports have come out of Yemen that say we were supplying arms to Al-Qaida in Yemen.

There are a lot of conflicting statements but after reading through hundreds of articles from several years back to the present you can start to piece together a picture of the jist of what is happening.

I understand that Saudi is a key alliance in the middle east, and we have invested interests with them. But to turn a blind eye while they slaughter the innocent and to be supplying them in doing to, assisting them is the same as us doing it ourselves. I am not ok with comiting mass murder in my name. I just am not. That is just me.

I also understand that when we intervene nothing good comes of it, we just end up bombing what is left of them into the stone age while saying we are bringing them democracy. I know how it works, I am not naïve.

But this is a story that has been purposefully hidden from all of us on purpose, and the only things that are hidden from the light are usually when they is something wrong. I believe it is something that needs to come to attention. It has been slowly I have been doing searches since the day I found out what was happening, and before there was nothing but now there is starting to be stories being picked up. They are limited though and are not telling the whole truth, they are not emphasizing the eminence of the true seriousness of the humanitarian emergency.

I understand that the media is not picking up on the story even though it is real fuel that they could be using to target trump because the faction they are from also backs Saudi's crimes. I get that. But really this needs to come to light. If the American population were to realize what was happening and the extent of it there would be outrage and a demand for it to end. The main reason that this war is happening is the vying for that all important straight for the transportation of oil. It sucks to be a nation that has resources and not have arms to defend yourself. Or to be a major area that is important for the transportation of oil. Your lives are as good as garbage, when it comes to the powerful of the world and their never ending greed for control, and domination of all strategic positions which gives them great power and wealth. But that power and wealth is fueled by the blood of the innocent. It don't sit well with me at all.

Saudi wants to go on the open stock exchange because it wants to make large sums of money in order to fund a projected 500billion dollar project called Vision 2030. I read their vision. I cant say I find any faults in their vision it sounds like an amazing place. Its a some what democratic monarchy that they envision allowing the people to have a voice. It claims that they want to have peace and social justice and green energy, and it focuses on sports and arts so that the people can flourish. It speaks of equality. But I think actions speak louder than words. What they are doing in Yemen does not match up with their so called ideals. I understand they want to be and advanced civilization using new technologies and using robots to service the needs of the people. They may also be heavily investing in AI, and the UAE is going in head first with it. They want to be an advanced society with fairness for all and to live in peace. But they are doing something contrary to that as we speak.

All I see in the news headlines is how we are going after trump for offenses that mean nothing to most. No one cares who he slept with. They are just distracting us from the real crimes that he is committing because their side is also in deep with Saudi. That is one finger they don't want to point even though it could take Trump down. Keep in mind I am against impeachment as I have said many times because Pence is a no go! But this really really really needs to be brought to attention. It is starting to come out though, although as you said mostly in the favor of Saudi Arabia.

The more I researched the more I realized that there is still hope to stop the blockade and try to save the lives of 18 million people. Just like @MisterVeritis was not going to be quiet about McCain until the media stopped praising McCain, because he thought McCain was not worth giving respect to. I also believe we should not stop raising our voices until the people of Yemen are given some food, and we stop supplying arms to those who are committing genocide.

You do know the Iranians are supplying the Houthis with Weapons, correct? Tell the Iranians to quit meddling in Yemen.
    History does not long Entrust the care of Freedom, to the Weak or Timid!!!!! Dwight D. Eisenhower ~

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MMC For This Useful Post:

Captdon (09-14-2018),Peter1469 (09-14-2018)

Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 327
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Captdon's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,837x in 10,134 Posts
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The terrorists are the other side. Why no condemnation of them? Why are they given a free pass on a war they started and continue to fight. What's wrong with you people?
    Liberals are a clear and present danger to our nation
    Pick your enemies carefully.

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,820
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    The Xl's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 19,792x in 11,974 Posts
    Mentioned
    433 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was literally going to pop in and say this, was beaten to the punch by a day.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Xl For This Useful Post:

donttread (09-15-2018),Ethereal (09-15-2018),Just AnotherPerson (09-14-2018)

Level completed: 14%, Points required for next Level: 1,820
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    The Xl's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 19,792x in 11,974 Posts
    Mentioned
    433 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just AnotherPerson View Post

No one is supposed to care when we brutally kill innocent people, directly or indirectly. When when Syria does it, (allegedly anyway, because no proof has been shown) with chemical weapons, it's the worst thing ever. It's so $#@!ing stupid, and yet, people eat it up

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Xl For This Useful Post:

donttread (09-15-2018),Ethereal (09-15-2018),Just AnotherPerson (09-14-2018)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MMC View Post
    You do know the Iranians are supplying the Houthis with Weapons, correct? Tell the Iranians to quit meddling in Yemen.
    It is not for sure that the Iranians are supplying the weapons it is still unclear. Even if the Houthis were getting weapons from Iran. Does that give us the green light to systematically murder 18 million people? If that is true that the Houthis are terrorists because they are backed by Iran. Then what does that make us, when we are supplying weapons to Saudi Arabia? It's the same thing.

If someone who was considered a terrorist group came to America and took over a whole state, and were killing all of the innocent people there, should our own governments step in and just kill us all? Should they kill all of us innocent civilians just because terrorists are killing us. So let me be clear we are being killed by the terrorists, so the gov decides that they should kill us all. It is like we innocent civilians are being killed from two different people. Is there a good guy side in that story? No, there is not.

+ Reply to Thread