Thanked 29,137x in 20,220 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gillibrand: I Never Meant Abolish ICE When I Said ‘Abolish ICE’

Molly Prince

Democratic Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand of New York stated Wednesday that her calls to abolish the Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) were misconstrued, claiming that despite saying “we need to abolish ICE,” she believes America still needs an agency that will fulfill the goals that ICE was created to achieve.
    Claiming that the agency has strayed from its intended duties, Gillibrand argued that ICE in its current form should be eliminated, but that a new agency should replace it that will execute the same mission of enforcing U.S. immigration laws and investigating criminal activity of foreign nationals residing within the country.
    “Give [ICE] a new name and a new directive,” Gillibrand told The Post-Star‘s editorial board.
    Gillibrand recommended that the government “reimagine” the agency, however, her office did not respond to requests from The Daily Caller News Foundation to clarify what her proposed agency would look like and how it would differ from ICE’s current form.

The New York senator said that she does not support open borders, and she agrees with ICE’s mission, but claims President Donald Trump and his administration have ruined the reputation of the agency by cracking down on immigrants who illegally cross the border. (RELATED: Democrats Introduce Bill To Abolish ICE, GOP Fires Back)
    Nineteen ICE agents reportedly sent letters to Gillibrand complaining that their reputation has been tarnished, leading her to arrive at her policy stance.
    “Local law enforcement will not work with them,” Gillibrand said. “Local elected officials aren’t working with them.”
    Gillibrand received backlash in late June after saying multiple times that ICE needs to be abolished. Her comments came at a time when numerous other congressmen were advocating for the abolishment of the agency as well.

House Democrats introduced a bill in early July to abolish ICE, but after House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy announced he planned to bring the proposed bill to a vote, those same Democrats called it a “political stunt” and vowed to vote against their own proposal.

Abolishing ICE is largely unpopular — only 25 percent of voters support the proposition, according to a July Politico and Morning Consult poll.

http://dailycaller.com/2018/09/13/ki...d-abolish-ice/

time to put his BS to rest. ICE is not going anywhere, any time soon...........
    Gillibrand is an idiot. Abolish ICE? She just wants to change the name thinking that it will change their function?
    I get it. They want the border patrol, regardless of their numbers to function solely at the border, while trying to take the teeth out of Customs and Immigration.
    A dem with a mixed message? Not so rare today.
    Ok, what do we call them once they've been absorbed back into Customs and Immigration? Will it change their function off-border?
    For waltky: http://quakes.globalincidentmap.com/
    "The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."
    - Thucydides

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" B. Franklin
    Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

2. The Following User Says Thank You to stjames1_53 For This Useful Post:

Captdon (09-14-2018)

Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 220
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger Second ClassVeteran25000 Experience Points
    Trish's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 3,754x in 2,330 Posts
    Mentioned
    170 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    She's an idiot and a prime example of what people hate about politicians.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trish For This Useful Post:

Cannons Front (09-14-2018),Captdon (09-14-2018),stjames1_53 (09-14-2018)

Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 1,195
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,442x in 14,733 Posts
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by stjames1_53 View Post
    Molly Prince

Democratic Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand of New York stated Wednesday that her calls to abolish the Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) were misconstrued, claiming that despite saying “we need to abolish ICE,” she believes America still needs an agency that will fulfill the goals that ICE was created to achieve.
    Claiming that the agency has strayed from its intended duties, Gillibrand argued that ICE in its current form should be eliminated, but that a new agency should replace it that will execute the same mission of enforcing U.S. immigration laws and investigating criminal activity of foreign nationals residing within the country.
    “Give [ICE] a new name and a new directive,” Gillibrand told The Post-Star‘s editorial board.
    Gillibrand recommended that the government “reimagine” the agency, however, her office did not respond to requests from The Daily Caller News Foundation to clarify what her proposed agency would look like and how it would differ from ICE’s current form.

The New York senator said that she does not support open borders, and she agrees with ICE’s mission, but claims President Donald Trump and his administration have ruined the reputation of the agency by cracking down on immigrants who illegally cross the border. (RELATED: Democrats Introduce Bill To Abolish ICE, GOP Fires Back)
    Nineteen ICE agents reportedly sent letters to Gillibrand complaining that their reputation has been tarnished, leading her to arrive at her policy stance.
    “Local law enforcement will not work with them,” Gillibrand said. “Local elected officials aren’t working with them.”
    Gillibrand received backlash in late June after saying multiple times that ICE needs to be abolished. Her comments came at a time when numerous other congressmen were advocating for the abolishment of the agency as well.

House Democrats introduced a bill in early July to abolish ICE, but after House Majority Leader Kevin McCarthy announced he planned to bring the proposed bill to a vote, those same Democrats called it a “political stunt” and vowed to vote against their own proposal.

Abolishing ICE is largely unpopular — only 25 percent of voters support the proposition, according to a July Politico and Morning Consult poll.

http://dailycaller.com/2018/09/13/ki...d-abolish-ice/

time to put his BS to rest. ICE is not going anywhere, any time soon...........
    Gillibrand is an idiot. Abolish ICE? She just wants to change the name thinking that it will change their function?
    I get it. They want the border patrol, regardless of their numbers to function solely at the border, while trying to take the teeth out of Customs and Immigration.
    A dem with a mixed message? Not so rare today.
    Ok, what do we call them once they've been absorbed back into Customs and Immigration? Will it change their function off-border?
    Yes we do want them re-absorbed. Exactly what we need. Imagine federal inefficency x 3 reduced to one?

Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 560
    Overall activity: 0.0%
    Achievements:
    5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Jets's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 321x in 233 Posts
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’m not a fan of either of my senators. It’s quite amusing when a politician uses the word. “abolish” and than equivocates by saying they didn’t mean abolish...
    Always agree to disagree.

Always give the other poster the last word, whether correct or not.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jets For This Useful Post:

Captdon (09-14-2018)

+ Reply to Thread