User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Humans at fault for increased threat from Weather.

Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 652
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cannons Front's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,148x in 2,895 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Humans at fault for increased threat from Weather.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...gtype=Homepage

Well this starts out like you thought it would Global Warming.....

We often hear that climate change is influencing the frequency and strength of tropical storms, heat waves and wildfires, and this is certainly true, though it is too early to say what influence the warming temperatures may be having on Hurricane Florence. That answer must await a post-mortem by climate scientists. But it is also true that rapid coastal development is amplifying the impact of weather and climate events like Hurricane Hugo and those expected with Hurricane Florence over the next few days.

But wait, then some common sense take hold........

In fact, according to research by me and colleagues, the root cause of the country’s escalating number of weather- and climate-related disasters is not necessarily a rise in the frequency or intensity of these events but the increasing exposure and vulnerability of populations that lie in their path.

That may seem obvious, though perhaps not for the people who have moved to places that are likely to end up disaster areas someday. That fact has either escaped their notice or seems to be of little consequence to them.

Later they add this........ There seems to be something of a “disaster amnesia” going on with respect to our land development practices after a calamity.

More than a decade ago, a group of leading climate experts felt compelled to issue a statement saying the debate then about whether global warming was intensifying hurricanes was a distraction from “the main hurricane problem facing the United States.” The problem, they said, was the continued “lemming-like march to the sea” in the form of unabated coastal development in vulnerable places. “These demographic trends,” they said, “are setting us up for rapidly increasing human and economic losses from hurricane disasters.”

We know much more about how the warming climate is influencing tropical storms. And in many places along the nation’s coastlines, the lemmings are still marching toward the sea.

So all in all I agree Man is causing weather related disasters to become worse........ Can't believe the NY Times printed this..... Maybe there is a sliver of hope.....
    "The powers of the federal government are enumerated; it can only operate in certain cases; it has legislative powers on defined and limited objects, beyond which it cannot extend its jurisdiction." James Madison 1788

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Cannons Front For This Useful Post:

Lummy (09-14-2018)

Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 798
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    midcan5's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,497x in 1,841 Posts
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From personal experience that is a bit of BS while admitting there could be bits of truth. For many years our street would occasionally flood near drainage, now the entire street floods and this area has been developed for many many years. The other day while battening down the hatches for winter I could have kayaked. The oceans they are a rising....

These photos are around Philadelphia.
    https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news...-52309442.html
    Wanna make America great, buy American owned, made in the USA, we do. AF Veteran, INFJ-A, I am not PC.

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." Voltaire

Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 652
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cannons Front's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,148x in 2,895 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by midcan5 View Post
    From personal experience that is a bit of BS while admitting there could be bits of truth. For many years our street would occasionally flood near drainage, now the entire street floods and this area has been developed for many many years. The other day while battening down the hatches for winter I could have kayaked. The oceans they are a rising....
    This does not dispute any claims of climate change, it simply points out that People are moving into areas that are subject to weather disasters at an increasing rate, which will lead to more people in danger when storms hit.
    Lets look at what you added;
    https://www.montcopa.org/2922/Critical-Flood-Area-Maps
    You have a town with 5 creeks running through it and a lot of building built in existing flood plains, there is a history of flooding in this town. Your pictures and the flood plain maps prove this article, if you build in a flood plain, you will get wet......
    Thanks for providing first hand proof that the article is completely correct.
    "The powers of the federal government are enumerated; it can only operate in certain cases; it has legislative powers on defined and limited objects, beyond which it cannot extend its jurisdiction." James Madison 1788

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cannons Front For This Useful Post:

Ransom (09-14-2018)

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 413
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassSocial25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Lummy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,307x in 4,359 Posts
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannons Front View Post

In fact, according to research by me and colleagues, the root cause of the country’s escalating number of weather- and climate-related disasters is not necessarily a rise in the frequency or intensity of these events but the increasing exposure and vulnerability of populations that lie in their path.
    Wut?

So, global warming is caused by an increasing population exposed to weather?

Later they add this........ There seems to be something of a “disaster amnesia” going on with respect to our land development practices after a calamity ...

... We know much more about how the warming climate is influencing tropical storms. And in many places along the nation’s coastlines, the lemmings are still marching toward the sea.
    But ... but ... it's the American dream ... no, no, no, you can't take that away from me ...

Actually, you see this kind of "amnesia" all the time in everything. Take discussion boards. Posters will agree with some principle or another, and then in the next post on the next thread, it's like whatever it was they learned or agreed with a minute ago just goes right out the window.

This is why we have preachers and churches. Whatever we do get, we evidently don't get for very long. LOL

Computers are largely to blame. In this case, as long as the game of computer modeling carries qualified nutjobs into a fantasy future, it will have an avid following. Even if the model fails completely, there's always a new model.

Level completed: 39%, Points required for next Level: 2,196
    Overall activity: 28.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Ransom's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 14,976x in 10,696 Posts
    Mentioned
    492 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was in Mobile Alabama and my brother and I were taking humor at the roof shingles and parts of the entire roof coming off of Navy housing. My mother started screaming, the MPs came and sheltered us in the Hanger on base.

That storm ripped through Alabama....it even killed over 100 people in Virginia. The Left today would cry it killed 12,000 in Virginia and then cite some bullshiit source.....but some 109 people literally buried in the Va mountains. That is a serious storm.

Level completed: 34%, Points required for next Level: 1,193
    Overall activity: 29.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran25000 Experience PointsTagger First Class
    Mini Me's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,616x in 1,259 Posts
    Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is some truth to the statement;

I have watched homes built along seaside cliffs fall into the sea in Santa Cruz.
    I have seen McMansions burnt up that were built in heavy forests in the Sierra foothills.
    I have seen whole houses swept down the flooding river in Idaho.
    I live in a heavy timbered forest that could go up in flames at any moment.

But people want to live near water or the sea, and pay a heavy premium for it. For me, I love living in the forest!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Mini Me For This Useful Post:

Common Sense (09-14-2018)

Level completed: 41%, Points required for next Level: 892
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassYour first Group25000 Experience PointsVeteranSocial
    Admiral Ackbar's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 4,992x in 3,109 Posts
    Mentioned
    168 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I find the idea that Humans are the cause of this racist. To say Humans are the cause would imply that Black, Asians, Latino's, Muslims and others have blame along with Whites. This clearly is racist to imply any of these groups/races other than Whites have blame here.
    "Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining"----Fletcher in The Outlaw Josey Wales

Level completed: 96%, Points required for next Level: 73
    Overall activity: 10.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Hoosier8's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 10,121x in 6,384 Posts
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

East coast levels have risen above the average you would never notice due to Atlantic circulation changes, not global warming.
    When Donald Trump said to protest “peacefully”, he meant violence.

When he told protesters to “go home”, he meant stay for an insurrection.

And when he told Brad Raffensperger to implement “whatever the correct legal remedy is”, he meant fraud.

War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.

Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 266
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    zachroidott's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 566x in 460 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your drainage system, it is a clogged...

Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 1,195
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,442x in 14,733 Posts
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannons Front View Post
    https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...gtype=Homepage

Well this starts out like you thought it would Global Warming.....

We often hear that climate change is influencing the frequency and strength of tropical storms, heat waves and wildfires, and this is certainly true, though it is too early to say what influence the warming temperatures may be having on Hurricane Florence. That answer must await a post-mortem by climate scientists. But it is also true that rapid coastal development is amplifying the impact of weather and climate events like Hurricane Hugo and those expected with Hurricane Florence over the next few days.

That may seem obvious, though perhaps not for the people who have moved to places that are likely to end up disaster areas someday. That fact has either escaped their notice or seems to be of little consequence to them.

Later they add this........ There seems to be something of a “disaster amnesia” going on with respect to our land development practices after a calamity.

More than a decade ago, a group of leading climate experts felt compelled to issue a statement saying the debate then about whether global warming was intensifying hurricanes was a distraction from “the main hurricane problem facing the United States.” The problem, they said, was the continued “lemming-like march to the sea” in the form of unabated coastal development in vulnerable places. “These demographic trends,” they said, “are setting us up for rapidly increasing human and economic losses from hurricane disasters.”

We know much more about how the warming climate is influencing tropical storms. And in many places along the nation’s coastlines, the lemmings are still marching toward the sea.

So all in all I agree Man is causing weather related disasters to become worse........ Can't believe the NY Times printed this..... Maybe there is a sliver of hope.....

Yup, go from 2 or 3 to 7 billion people in a lifetime, throw in the same number of storms, more intersection of weather and people. But you seldom see anyone address the point . Good post.

+ Reply to Thread