Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,307x in 4,359 Posts
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ransom View Post
    Yer getting the brunt of hurricane 'remnants' and that's like seeing famous people on the street? Uhhh...ok.
    It's a famous hurricane. While I was washing the car, I let the rain wash over my face, marveling that just 3-4 days ago that water was in the ocean maybe passing over a great white shark!
    Omm ...
    Washed you car....just as if you would have washed it had you seen Kim Kardashian?

Found that bag of weed in your outside mirror too, huh Lummy?
    Only analogy for a celebrity hurricane passing through town I could come up with. Dude, I don't need not stinking marijuana.

Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 1,113
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Ransom's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 15,099x in 10,781 Posts
    Mentioned
    496 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers Mate

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 413
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassSocial25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Lummy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,307x in 4,359 Posts
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lummy View Post
    We are getting the brunt of the remnants of Florence today. It's like seeing a famous person like Kim Kardasian on the street!

I washed my car too, just like I would if I'd seen Kim Kardashian.

Found a wasp nest with about 2 dozen wasps -- probably the entire population -- hold up in an outside mirror housing out of the rain They couldn't fly away. Hahaha too funny! Killed 'em all like ugly bugs in a jar.

Vurld ees bettor place now, yah.

So, a day or two later, I learn that of course, mine is the errant attitude of a total ignoramus. A learned Brit chides this wanton killing of wasps, which she wants us to believe are being wiped out by evil-doers (such a my thoughtless self).

Don’t kill wasps -- they’re just as important as bees, scientists warn. Wasps are being wiped out as quickly as bees – and their disappearance will be just as disastrous, according to new research. But the plight of wasps is going under the radar compared to that of their close cousins – because of their unpopularity. A lack of understanding of their vital role in the ecosystem and economy is a fundamental reason why they are hated – whereas bees are much loved.

Study author Dr Seirian Sumner, an environmental scientist at University College London (UCL), explained: "It’s clear we have a very different emotional connection to wasps than to bees. We have lived in harmony with bees for a very long time, domesticating some species.

"But human-wasp interactions are often unpleasant as they ruin picnics and nest in our homes. Despite this, we need to actively overhaul the negative image of wasps to protect the ecological benefits they bring to our planet. They are facing a similar decline to bees and that is something the world can’t afford."

The study, published in the journal Ecological Entomology, says both bees and wasps are two of humanity’s most important organisms. They both pollinate our flowers and crops – but wasps also destroy pests and insects that carry human diseases.

An insect "armageddon’ is under way due to pollution, habitat changes, overuse of pesticides and global warming [and Donald Trump!]. And they are vital to the make up of the countryside.

The international team also found wasps are an unpopular choice of insect for researchers to study which likely compounds their negative image.

Dr Sumner said our dislike of wasps is largely shaped by a small number of social species, the yellowjackets and hornets. These represent fewer than one per cent of stinging wasps but are most likely to come into contact with humans.

There are 67 social species but the vast majority of wasps, more than 75,000 varieties, are solitary. The bothersome nature of social wasps fuels the idea they are more dangerous than bees, although each elicit a similarly painful sting.

The research was funded by the Natural Environment Research Council and the European Commission through the Marie Curie fellowship.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencet..._campaign=1490
    She fails to mention that wasps would seem to support arguments against evolution since they have been found in amber dating back 80 million years, and they appear the same now as they were back then -- being totally unevolved in all that time.

I say go out of your way to wipe them out, jawohl. The "crunch" they make when you step on them is really quite pleasing.

+ Reply to Thread