User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long before we adopt China's Social Credit Score system?

Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 56
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Social5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    RadioGod's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 915x in 631 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How long before we adopt China's Social Credit Score system?

This is old news, but there are always new stories appearing everyday about China's social credit score program. Basically, citizens there get tracked 24/7 to the fullest extent possible, whether they show up on cctv, internet and phone activity, or just simply public records. They are assigned a score based on how they behave in society, with people who don't agree with government policies or do something frivilous, like jaywalking, get their score knocked down.
    Lower scores have an impact, not only on the person affected, but on their friends, family, an even associations. Lower scores can keep people off of airplanes, high-speed trains, and even prevent their kids from ever going to a decent college.

https://pacific.epeak.in/2018/09/18/...al-management/

In a country like China, where all sorts of ridiculous things get routinely banned from the internet, like whinny the pooh, and even the phrase, "I disagree", and tech companies like Google even have to set custom web filters to remove any traces of certain topics, like the Dalai Llama, we might rightfully expect this kind of thing.

https://reason.com/archives/2018/08/...h-movie-is-ban

But we are heading for an era where the US might not be far behind. With companies like Facebook already rolling out their own versions of a social score, I think we are going to see this integrated into our personal lives in scary ways.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/techn...=.e5d3d7ea21ea

Us Americans usually are on the side of free speech, freedom of thought, and freedom of religion. But what will happen when our ability to get a driver's license depends on our ideas and beliefs, instead of our ability to safely drive on the roads? What will happen when my view of politics or religion makes it so my kids can't go to college? And what if I do my best to maintain a perfect score for my kid's future, but someone my kid talks to at school brings all of my family's scores down?
    The implications go on and on. These days, anything you do on any social media account is reviewed by a potential employer. Even your credit score is considered. It's not a far stretch to see the social media companies all rolling out social score programs, and those will be quietly but actively affecting our whole lives. It will become a mundane, everyday expectation after a little while, and the government will even start to rely on the numbers for their business with us, or worse, come up with their own official social score system.
    I doubt bringing this to anyone's attention will change anything, and people who don't use social media won't care. But if our government decides us forum posters spend too long online every day and they turn off our internet, that would raise some hackles.

What do y'all think? Do you see us becoming a censored nation(more than we already are)? Would you care what your social score was? Would you cut ties with friends and family, or move to a better neighborhood, to keep your score higher?
    I live with a profound happiness that can only be achieved by being hated by Mr.Veritis

2. The Following User Says Thank You to RadioGod For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (09-18-2018)

Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 266
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    zachroidott's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 566x in 460 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hate to get conspiratorial, but I've been of the opinion that many Western parties of interest have been creaming their shorts over the prospect of a society equal parts highly functioning market economy and highly functioning police state. "Look to the East".

4. The Following User Says Thank You to zachroidott For This Useful Post:

RadioGod (09-18-2018)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zachroidott View Post
    I hate to get conspiratorial, but I've been of the opinion that many Western parties of interest have been creaming their shorts over the prospect of a society equal parts highly functioning market economy and highly functioning police state. "Look to the East".
    I'm with you on that. I'll go one notch up in the conspiracy direction. How easy would it be to roll this out in all developed nations, then tweak the parameters for a positive social score, and slowly over a couple years move us all into 1 belief system, 1 morality, and 1 political ideaology, then use that as the basis for a 1-world government?
    I live with a profound happiness that can only be achieved by being hated by Mr.Veritis

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RadioGod For This Useful Post:

Cthulhu (09-19-2018)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RadioGod View Post
    I'm with you on that. I'll go one notch up in the conspiracy direction. How easy would it be to roll this out in all developed nations, then tweak the parameters for a positive social score, and slowly over a couple years move us all into 1 belief system, 1 morality, and 1 political ideaology, then use that as the basis for a 1-world government?
    Considering automation and algorithms eating into "work", it will be pretty easy to do if people want to eat.
    The social credit concept is not really new(office politics, etc.). It's just been less spoken and not openly monetized. I guess really China has just put it out in the open. Which of course changes it.

Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 2,009
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Common Sense's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 16,124x in 11,355 Posts
    Mentioned
    545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think the US is heading in that direction. There's a huge difference between social media and a government program.

There's a great Black Mirror episode about this idea though.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Common Sense For This Useful Post:

RadioGod (09-18-2018)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by zachroidott View Post
    Considering automation and algorithms eating into "work", it will be pretty easy to do if people want to eat.
    The social credit concept is not really new(office politics, etc.). It's just been less spoken and not openly monetized. I guess really China has just put it out in the open. Which of course changes it.
    I think I saw Black Mirror on netfix, but I never watched it. I will check it out
    China is definitely ahead of the curve with this stuff. And you're right, it changes everything. Once other governments see the magic of active population control in real-time, they will wonder how they ever manipulated their citizens without it.
    I saw a story on the Level1 news on youtube yesterday where they want to make a presidential hotline to every US citizen with a cell phone, so Trump can tweet at us all, and we can't block them. I'm not blaming this on Trump, but just pointing out there are so may ways our technology is going to be used to indoctrinate us.
    And for anyone reading this that enjoys good tech news that does a good job of steering clear of politics and sensationalism:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4w...WOz4qtxinq55LQ

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RadioGod View Post
    I saw a story on the Level1 news on youtube yesterday where they want to make a presidential hotline to every US citizen with a cell phone, so Trump can tweet at us all, and we can't block them. I'm not blaming this on Trump, but just pointing out there are so may ways our technology is going to be used to indoctrinate us.
    Well, that one's easy. Don't read that $#@!. (Also, not about Trump.)

12. The Following User Says Thank You to zachroidott For This Useful Post:

RadioGod (09-18-2018)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common Sense View Post
    I don't think the US is heading in that direction. There's a huge difference between social media and a government program.

I hope your intuition is more accurate than my conspiracy fears

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RadioGod For This Useful Post:

Common Sense (09-18-2018),Just AnotherPerson (09-19-2018)

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 413
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassSocial25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Lummy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,307x in 4,359 Posts
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common Sense View Post

Well, I read OP thinking what was described therein could be/would be made into the only government program.

Level completed: 12%, Points required for next Level: 1,499
    Overall activity: 7.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Hoosier8's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 10,195x in 6,428 Posts
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never happen, would be considered racist.
    When Donald Trump said to protest “peacefully”, he meant violence.

When he told protesters to “go home”, he meant stay for an insurrection.

And when he told Brad Raffensperger to implement “whatever the correct legal remedy is”, he meant fraud.

War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.

+ Reply to Thread