User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How long before we adopt China's Social Credit Score system?

Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 22
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,246x in 12,372 Posts
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common Sense View Post
    I don't think the US is heading in that direction. There's a huge difference between social media and a government program.

There's a great Black Mirror episode about this idea though.
    There was an episode of Seth MacFarlane's sci-fi-comedy series The Orville last season where they landed on a very Earth-like planet where all citizens had to wear a sort of digital counting device with a pre-set starting number...and every time someone did or said something the people around them found objectionable, those people could instantly "vote" that person a negative score. Cameras were everywhere, and when anything even remotely antisocial was done by anyone - someone being rude, or a man not giving a pregnant woman his seat on the bus - viewers all over the country could (and did) watch and vote remotely. And when the individual lost all his points, the police would pick them up and they would be featured on a broadcast where their "crimes" would be reviewed and viewers would, again, vote them up or down. If they lost that vote, they were executed. Like the original Star Trek series, that show has a way of using such scenarios to point out some of our own society's more...unfortunate trends and tendencies.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

RadioGod (09-19-2018)

Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 22
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,246x in 12,372 Posts
    Mentioned
    417 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I hear about employers, schools and others monitoring people's Facebook pages, Twitter accounts and other social media to keep tabs on and evaluate them. I have to wonder how long it will be before not having those things will be considered suspicious, and possibly grounds for investigation or discipline.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

Cthulhu (09-19-2018),Just AnotherPerson (09-19-2018),RadioGod (09-19-2018)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,323x in 10,925 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok heres where it gets sticky I believe that there is a large faction in this country that wants to and "is" censoring speech. They want only speech they agree with, its most prevalent in Colleges and Universities and in the media.

There is a movement as I see it that liberals want to be able to say whatever it is they want and squash anothing they dont want to hear.

Let me clarify something, whenever I say liberals in any thread that I create or any post that I write, I explicity mean national Liberals and Progressives and politicians, I am not pointing fingers at liberal forum members or individuals.

I firmly believe there is a movement to stifle any conservative thought or ideals and its been going on for quite a few years, its recently went bat$#@! crazy.

Especially Aggregious to the left is anything pro White male, white males have become the devils of america. You can denigrate, abuse, insult white males at will but you cant utter a syllable about blacks or women that the left deems inappropriate which is mostly everything.

Obama started it and still promotes it and I FIRMLY BELIEVE IT
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 82
    Overall activity: 24.0%
    Achievements:
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,618x in 14,840 Posts
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RadioGod View Post
    This is old news, but there are always new stories appearing everyday about China's social credit score program. Basically, citizens there get tracked 24/7 to the fullest extent possible, whether they show up on cctv, internet and phone activity, or just simply public records. They are assigned a score based on how they behave in society, with people who don't agree with government policies or do something frivilous, like jaywalking, get their score knocked down.
    Lower scores have an impact, not only on the person affected, but on their friends, family, an even associations. Lower scores can keep people off of airplanes, high-speed trains, and even prevent their kids from ever going to a decent college.

https://pacific.epeak.in/2018/09/18/...al-management/

In a country like China, where all sorts of ridiculous things get routinely banned from the internet, like whinny the pooh, and even the phrase, "I disagree", and tech companies like Google even have to set custom web filters to remove any traces of certain topics, like the Dalai Llama, we might rightfully expect this kind of thing.

https://reason.com/archives/2018/08/...h-movie-is-ban

But we are heading for an era where the US might not be far behind. With companies like Facebook already rolling out their own versions of a social score, I think we are going to see this integrated into our personal lives in scary ways.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/techn...=.e5d3d7ea21ea

Us Americans usually are on the side of free speech, freedom of thought, and freedom of religion. But what will happen when our ability to get a driver's license depends on our ideas and beliefs, instead of our ability to safely drive on the roads? What will happen when my view of politics or religion makes it so my kids can't go to college? And what if I do my best to maintain a perfect score for my kid's future, but someone my kid talks to at school brings all of my family's scores down?
    The implications go on and on. These days, anything you do on any social media account is reviewed by a potential employer. Even your credit score is considered. It's not a far stretch to see the social media companies all rolling out social score programs, and those will be quietly but actively affecting our whole lives. It will become a mundane, everyday expectation after a little while, and the government will even start to rely on the numbers for their business with us, or worse, come up with their own official social score system.
    I doubt bringing this to anyone's attention will change anything, and people who don't use social media won't care. But if our government decides us forum posters spend too long online every day and they turn off our internet, that would raise some hackles.

What do y'all think? Do you see us becoming a censored nation(more than we already are)? Would you care what your social score was? Would you cut ties with friends and family, or move to a better neighborhood, to keep your score higher?

Screw that!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to donttread For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (09-19-2018),RadioGod (09-19-2018)

Level completed: 8%, Points required for next Level: 2,210
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Just AnotherPerson's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,555x in 5,668 Posts
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    I hear about employers, schools and others monitoring people's Facebook pages, Twitter accounts and other social media to keep tabs on and evaluate them. I have to wonder how long it will be before not having those things will be considered suspicious, and possibly grounds for investigation or discipline.
    It is amazing to me what we will allow if it is just slowly introduced to us. It is like we don't even notice it happening. Little by little we begin to accept it. In the beginning when America found out we were being spied on we were outraged. But as time went by it's like people forgot about it. Soon it was not only our phone calls being recorded but every waking moment.

Everyone knows that all of their digital devices in their home are recording and storing every thing they say and every move they make. But they still have those devices in their homes and on their bodies. Now, it is just common place. It is no longer an outrage, but just accepted as normal.
    We are all brothers and sisters in humanity. We are all made from the same dust of stars. We cannot be separated because all life is interconnected.

Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 56
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Social5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    RadioGod's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 915x in 631 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    There was an episode of Seth MacFarlane's sci-fi-comedy series The Orville last season where they landed on a very Earth-like planet where all citizens had to wear a sort of digital counting device with a pre-set starting number...and every time someone did or said something the people around them found objectionable, those people could instantly "vote" that person a negative score. Cameras were everywhere, and when anything even remotely antisocial was done by anyone - someone being rude, or a man not giving a pregnant woman his seat on the bus - viewers all over the country could (and did) watch and vote remotely. And when the individual lost all his points, the police would pick them up and they would be featured on a broadcast where their "crimes" would be reviewed and viewers would, again, vote them up or down. If they lost that vote, they were executed. Like the original Star Trek series, that show has a way of using such scenarios to point out some of our own society's more...unfortunate trends and tendencies.
    That's dark, but we could be heading in that direction. Imagine if the people who vote on american idol had the say over our life or death
    I live with a profound happiness that can only be achieved by being hated by Mr.Veritis

Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 56
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Social5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    RadioGod's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 915x in 631 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    Ok heres where it gets sticky I believe that there is a large faction in this country that wants to and "is" censoring speech. They want only speech they agree with, its most prevalent in Colleges and Universities and in the media.

There is a movement as I see it that liberals want to be able to say whatever it is they want and squash anothing they dont want to hear.

Let me clarify something, whenever I say liberals in any thread that I create or any post that I write, I explicity mean national Liberals and Progressives and politicians, I am not pointing fingers at liberal forum members or individuals.

I firmly believe there is a movement to stifle any conservative thought or ideals and its been going on for quite a few years, its recently went bat$#@! crazy.

Especially Aggregious to the left is anything pro White male, white males have become the devils of america. You can denigrate, abuse, insult white males at will but you cant utter a syllable about blacks or women that the left deems inappropriate which is mostly everything.

Obama started it and still promotes it and I FIRMLY BELIEVE IT
    There definitely is a huge trend, maybe even a planned movement, to supress unpopular speech. Of course, unpopular will change like the winds. I will be the first to admit slinging insults and condescending comments at people I consider to be really far right, or just crazy. But usually when I call someone a right-winger, I just mean it as an insult to piss them off. I learned this from their crowd, and when I taunt them or redicule them, I fully expect the same in return. I would never try to pass laws that silenced their voices, and I don't want them driven off platforms of any kind under social pressure, either.
    The far lefties are just as insane, and sometimes even crazier. They walk around with their starbucks, iphones, and colored poodles, and believe sh*t so far removed from reality. But even they have the right to say whatever they want.
    I think where we are seeing most of the pressure being applied is on social media platforms, because freedom of speech doesn't apply when using someone else's private platform. We take that same sensorship from those platforms and try to apply it to real life. It shouldn't be like that, people should be smart enough to know the difference.
    As for me, I am so fed up with corruption and party politics. I am disgusted at how we are constantly being lied to on almost every issue by all of the media and our representatives. And I think Trump is just the latest and most disgusting example of all that our nation has become. Ergo, anyone who supports Trump is automatically a target for my endless drivel and pontifications.
    But politics aside, the more pressing concern truly is the suppression of speech and information, just as you pointed out. I've said this before, and I still believe in it- I will fight for my speech, and I will fight for other's speech also, even if I hate their guts.
    Besides, if the Trumpies are silenced, how will I ever engage in conversations that make me look smarter than I really am?
    I live with a profound happiness that can only be achieved by being hated by Mr.Veritis

+ Reply to Thread