Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,933x in 8,811 Posts
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    We're talking in a particular context defined by the forum and the Hole itself.

You fail completely to address "What does deception have to do with those purposes? People post there because they deceive? Utter nonsense." In short, while bad faith may have the general meaning you cite, it has not connection with it's usage on the forum nor any applicability to this topic.

I think what it comes down to is you want a safe space and the Hole offends that desire.
    Forget about it Chris. I'm not climbing on to your semantical hamster wheel. I'm sure there is an argument to be had in another thread if you look hard enough. Have a good afternoon.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

Safety (09-22-2018),silvereyes (09-22-2018)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,905x in 54,720 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    Forget about it Chris. I'm not climbing on to your semantical hamster wheel. I'm sure there is an argument to be had in another thread if you look hard enough. Have a good afternoon.
    Right, it's my fault you drag out of context definitions into a thread just to express your dislike of a forum feature.

So long and thanks for all the fish.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 469
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jet57's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,368x in 2,004 Posts
    Mentioned
    284 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    Bad faith is the act of being intentionally deceptive. That sounds simple, but it's actually very complex. When people insult others for their opinions and pretend that those opinions are objectively wrong, but in reality simply don't conform to their way of thinking, that is just self-serving deception. Calling someone a liar because their opinion doesn't conform to another's when no one can claim to have all of the facts is bad faith.

The Hole is an odious place where members often engage in gang warfare or where someone writes inflamatory things about another, much like you might find on bathroom walls in the past or on a Facebook page today. It's a forum for combat and character assassination. I don't believe that it serves the purpose for which it was intended. Instead, it's a breeding ground for ill-will and the fomenting of long-standing adversity between members.
    I see the hole differently: it's a place for exercising grievances with other posters. I have found it very useful, both here and elsewhere for dealing trolls and miscreants. In my opinion these people should actually be banned after several warnings , but for some reason mods allow them to exist: these trolls ruin the experience for other people, so giving them a comeuppance and treating them as they treat others is a good way of quieting them down I've found. Other good posters will offer negative opinions of the troll as well so the troll gets a good hint of how he or she is perceived: I just don't like jerks. To ignore them is easy, but really solves nothing in my view. It's a mod thing; I don't know why these people are allowed to pollute good places. And you are quite right: it is a "thinking" thing to them; if one does not echo their world view, one is simply treated as an enemy "of the people" and berated. These people just can't discuss subjects intelligently, they simply do not have the capacity and prefer to remain ignorant; almost through intent...

Anyway, that's how I see places like The Hole; they have use.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to jet57 For This Useful Post:

silvereyes (09-22-2018)

Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    I see the hole differently: it's a place for exercising grievances with other posters. I have found it very useful, both here and elsewhere for dealing trolls and miscreants. In my opinion these people should actually be banned after several warnings , but for some reason mods allow them to exist: these trolls ruin the experience for other people, so giving them a comeuppance and treating them as they treat others is a good way of quieting them down I've found. Other good posters will offer negative opinions of the troll as well so the troll gets a good hint of how he or she is perceived: I just don't like jerks. To ignore them is easy, but really solves nothing in my view. It's a mod thing; I don't know why these people are allowed to pollute good places. And you are quite right: it is a "thinking" thing to them; if one does not echo their world view, one is simply treated as an enemy "of the people" and berated. These people just can't discuss subjects intelligently, they simply do not have the capacity and prefer to remain ignorant; almost through intent...

Anyway, that's how I see places like The Hole; they have use.

So, how, @Dr. Who, do you work deception into what jet uses it for, as a place to let off steam?
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Achievements:
    jet57's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    284 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, how, @Dr. Who, do you work deception into what jet uses it for, as a place to let off steam?
    'Ya see this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahuyaman View Post
    Liberals dislike the current US Constitution because it is an obstacle to government accumulating more power.
    That is deception.

Wanna see it again??
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoosier8 View Post
    You must be angry democrats gave up lynchings
    Last edited by jet57; 09-22-2018 at 01:56 PM.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jet57 For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (09-22-2018),Safety (09-22-2018),silvereyes (09-22-2018)

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    'Ya see this?

That is deception.

Wanna see it again??

That's not my question so stop dissembling.

My question goes back to Who's intial claim in this thread: "It is mostly an odious venue for bad faith posting, but there are a couple of rules - no attacks on member's families and no threats."

If the Hole has as its purpose a place to break rules then the bad faith breaking of rules does not apply there. You, yourself, jet, use the Hole to attack and insult other members. so my above question to Who about your post is, is jet's use of it in bad faith? No, because that's a purpose of the Hole.

As for lies, just because you disagree with what someone posts doesn't mean they are lying. Good grief, how shallow.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Captdon (09-22-2018)

Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdriveSocial
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Tahuyaman's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 76,986x in 55,609 Posts
    Mentioned
    700 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    'Ya see this?

That is deception.

Wanna see it again??

Ya see that?

This is what you get from a left winger who doesn’t know the US constitution from his daily constitutional.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Tahuyaman For This Useful Post:

Captdon (09-22-2018)

Achievements:
    jet57's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    284 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's not my question so stop dissembling.

My question goes back to Who's intial claim in this thread: "It is mostly an odious venue for bad faith posting, but there are a couple of rules - no attacks on member's families and no threats."

If the Hole has as its purpose a place to break rules then the bad faith breaking of rules does not apply there. You, yourself, jet, use the Hole to attack and insult other members. so my above question to Who about your post is, is jet's use of it in bad faith? No, because that's a purpose of the Hole.

As for lies, just because you disagree with what someone posts doesn't mean they are lying. Good grief, how shallow.
    So now you lie about "lies"...

Two of the "deceptions" were given to you, and they are deceptions in the context of what Dr. Who meant. You're discussion of the "meaning" of the hole is something else entirely.

And here's another one:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahuyaman View Post
    Ya see that?

This is what you get from a left winger who doesn’t know the US constitution from his daily constitutional.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jet57 For This Useful Post:

Safety (09-22-2018),silvereyes (09-22-2018)

Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 327
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Captdon's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,837x in 10,134 Posts
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have people here who use the Hole try to get members banned and disciplined. He attacked the mods. There is one in particular and you aren't him. I am not on your side often but you don't sneak in there as far as I know.

The Hole is what it is. As long as you aren't being attacked it doesn't matter. I rarely look there for anything substantial. It's like recess.
    Liberals are a clear and present danger to our nation
    Pick your enemies carefully.

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    So now you lie about "lies"...

Two of the "deceptions" were given to you, and they are deceptions in the context of what Dr. Who meant. You're discussion of the "meaning" of the hole is something else entirely.

And here's another one:

Where did I lie?

First I corrected you on the context and the meaning of my question to Who. No lie there.

Second I pointed out that your disagreement doesn't imply lying. No lie there.

So apparently you're lying about my lying.

+ Reply to Thread