Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,368x in 2,004 Posts
    Mentioned
    284 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Ya just can't help lying and acting like a jerk can 'ya.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jet57 For This Useful Post:

silvereyes (09-22-2018)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 84.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,905x in 54,720 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    He's trolling people when he does that: he thinks it's funny. I just ignore him.
    I'm trolling? You accused people of lying and are unable to back it up. Are you lying then?
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Captdon (09-23-2018)

Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jet57 View Post
    Ya just can't help lying and acting like a jerk can 'ya.

That's you failing to show where anyone lied. You made four accusations in this thread that members lied. Challenged to demonstrate anyone lied, you failed. Your accusations backfired.

All you got is childish name calling. Pitiful.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Captdon (09-23-2018)

Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 2,853
    Overall activity: 23.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,935x in 8,813 Posts
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We're talking in a particular context defined by the forum and the Hole itself.

You fail completely to address "What does deception have to do with those purposes? People post there because they deceive? Utter nonsense." In short, while bad faith may have the general meaning you cite, it has not connection with it's usage on the forum nor any applicability to this topic.

I think what it comes down to is you want a safe space and the Hole offends that desire.
    Good grief - if I view bad faith posting as odious behavior, that's my business. Furthermore, neither you nor the forum has the ability to narrowly define terms that it did not invent other than in the context of the application of the rules. I was not citing the rules on bad faith but discussing bad faith conversations. When the desire to insult and humiliate is more important than the truth or any facts or admission of the possibility that there is more that one side to any argument, that is bad faith. When members are accused of all manner of ugly and unfounded allegations, that is bad faith.

Regardless of the fact that there are scant rules in the Hole, it doesn't turn the nature of the exchanges therein into good faith discussions, but highly inflammatory micturition contests. IMHO it exacerbates forum feuds and even initiates some.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

Safety (09-22-2018),silvereyes (09-22-2018),William (09-22-2018)

Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 1,156
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Crepitus's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,440x in 9,812 Posts
    Mentioned
    510 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by littlejohn View Post
    The hole seems to be a sub-forum, where one is warned that things will get wild in a hurry --
    but it has moderators and is expected to be compliant in the same ways as the rest of the place --

Seems to me the concept of a free zone would be interesting to say the least.
    Especially since you are told -- don't come in here if you cant handle it ---

So, whats up with that ?
    Some conservative snowflakes freaked out when insulted.
    People who think a movie about plastic dolls is trying to turn their kids gay or trans are now officially known as

Barbie Q’s

Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 192
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveRecommendation First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    silvereyes's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,850x in 4,472 Posts
    Mentioned
    337 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    I agree. However, that is not its stated purpose. It was seen as preferable to closing threads that became unflattering to the forum.
    I can see that but it has mostly been used for the explicit purpose of members to $#@! on others with no consequences.
    At the end of the day...I am still glad that I am me. Tail and all.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to silvereyes For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (09-22-2018)

Achievements:
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by silvereyes View Post
    I can see that but it has mostly been used for the explicit purpose of members to $#@! on others with no consequences.
    Hence why I find it so odious. People can't unread what others say about them. The hard feelings don't evaporate when they return to the regular forums.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

silvereyes (09-22-2018),William (09-22-2018)

Achievements:
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    Good grief - if I view bad faith posting as odious behavior, that's my business. Furthermore, neither you nor the forum has the ability to narrowly define terms that it did not invent other than in the context of the application of the rules. I was not citing the rules on bad faith but discussing bad faith conversations. When the desire to insult and humiliate is more important than the truth or any facts or admission of the possibility that there is more that one side to any argument, that is bad faith. When members are accused of all manner of ugly and unfounded allegations, that is bad faith.

Regardless of the fact that there are scant rules in the Hole, it doesn't turn the nature of the exchanges therein into good faith discussions, but highly inflammatory micturition contests. IMHO it exacerbates forum feuds and even initiates some.

Indeed, you can view whatever behavior pleases you to call bad faith. No one cares.

The topic here, however, is not your feelings or need for a safe space.

The topic is what on this forum is the purpose of the Hole. The Hole has meager rules to serve in good faith a purpose, to give members a place to let off steam. That's what it always has been.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Captdon (09-23-2018)

Level completed: 91%, Points required for next Level: 192
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveRecommendation First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    silvereyes's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 5,850x in 4,472 Posts
    Mentioned
    337 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Safety View Post
    His entire existence is pitiful. I mean here he is questioning someone for using a dictionary, like people are suppose to say in real life, "you know, this word means this, because some guy named Chris said so on tPF".
    That isnt very nice, S. I know you two have an acrid history but perpetuating it doesnt accomplish a damn thing.

I'd say a big reason people do NOT stick around is because this place is not "fun" anymore. There are feuds and vendettas here that surpass most boards. The majority of the "long-timers" have already picked who they are going to side with and a crowbar wont budge their positions with their buddies. It is way more rare to see someone NOT jump on their buddies' bandwagons than not...and a lot of time it is simply to add nasty, vicious personal comments. There are very few cons who have dem friends on here and vice-versa. VERY FEW. No matter what the topic is the bickering starts and most threads quickly devolve into feudal sniping. This is a good representation of the Hatfields and McCoys. You can sit back and watch a thread as it is tooling along...two posters, a Hatfield and a McCoy, will be tossing back mild snark and sniping at each other....then *boom* one of their fellow "family members" pop in and will usually not give a damn what the thread is even about...he just sees his buddy going at it with the enemy and jump right in...adding more bitter, nasty personal comments and then it becomes a melee. I used enemy deliberately because that is simply what has become of this board. "Us" against "them." Then you have the 2-3 members who just come here for the sole purpose of talking $#@! and stirring $#@!...then they go running away cackling like children who ran in and grabbed the ball and ran away with it.
    There is no such thing as banter here anymore. Now it is all about who can be the nastiest, most vindictive poster. Do yall remember Redrose? As staunch a conservative as you can find yet she and i were friends. We used to message each other that we were long lost sisters and talked about meeting up with Pol. Now? The only messages that get around are the nasty ones. Hell, even Kalkin is a "friend" of mine and he pretty much has little use for liberals...but we get along. Will we ever see eye to eye politically? I doubt it...but i like the guy. *sigh*
    Anyway, that is the way i see things here these days.

P.S. Before any of you decide to jump in on my ass about this:
    I have defended those i consider my "friends" because its only natural. However, i have also $#@!ed out said friends when i feel they are being nasty just to be nasty. Like now. It sucks that many times a dogpile happens simply because other posters see it and go, "oh boy oh boy! Let me get in on this here fun! Im gonna use this chance to say someone is a $#@!! Better hurry, too!"

At the end of the day...I am still glad that I am me. Tail and all.

Achievements:
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    206 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Indeed, you can view whatever behavior pleases you to call bad faith. No one cares.

The topic here, however, is not your feelings or need for a safe space.

The topic is what on this forum is the purpose of the Hole. The Hole has meager rules to serve in good faith a purpose, to give members a place to let off steam. That's what it always has been.
    Actually, the thread title is "what is in the Hole?" and the question posed related to the reason for moderation in what is implied to be a free for all and what rules apply. What is in the Hole is a different question than the purpose of the Hole. The OP seems to have figured out the purpose of the Hole. What is in the Hole, on the other hand, is verbal excrement.

I answered both the question posed in the title, as well as what is moderated based on the only rules that apply. Also, your bad faith dog whistle words are noted.

Mahatma Gandhi

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

Safety (09-23-2018)

+ Reply to Thread