Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,315x in 10,924 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adelaide View Post
    Trump: Ford would have gone to the police if the attack 'was as bad as she says' - CNN

Ignore that this is Donald Trump, that it is in relation to Kavanaugh, and ignore that the accuser is Ford (and the situation). Focus on the statement. It is important to ignore the exact scenario and consider the comment because it is that sort of comment that contributes to stereotypes and underreporting of sexual assaults. I wouldn't even put Trump into the field of discussion because his statement is what a lot of people think when they are faced with sexual assault.

This is sort of a good example of rape culture and the problems that exist which prevents properly handling the issue of sexual assault. There is this general idea that if an assault is vicious enough it is legitimate and that assaults where there is less physical harm are not sexual assault. There is also a pervasive opinion about who would go to the police and why which is often erroneous. Suggesting that it couldn't have been that bad if someone did not go to the police is an example of both of those things.
    Adelaide I most always give the woman the benefit of the doubt and I loathe any kind of sex offenders, from rape right on down.

This trump and politics aside just stinks. This happened decades ago, shes a democrat who outwardly opposes trump, shes being pushed by a woman who is a known democrat operative. Feinstein knew this for months, the woman was lawyered up after she told feinstein. Feinstein could have brought this up during the first kavanuagh hearings or even when she spoke to him privately in her senate chambers.

The truth to me is apparent, they did not want her out until there wasnt enough time to vet her to appoint kavanuagh, this is a grand orchestrated delaying tactic.

Even if shes telling the truth Kavanaugh should still be appointed, what happened in High School that should have been vetted and out decades ago should not stop his appointment.

BTW One woman at the party recanted and said she doesnt know if it happened or not. There are other students that were at the party that say they outright dont believe Ford.

This is a setup
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Common For This Useful Post:

stjames1_53 (09-21-2018)

Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 327
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Captdon's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,837x in 10,134 Posts
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trump: Ford would have gone to the police if the attack 'was as bad as she says' - CNN

Ignore that this is Donald Trump, that it is in relation to Kavanaugh, and ignore that the accuser is Ford (and the situation). Focus on the statement. It is important to ignore the exact scenario and consider the comment because it is that sort of comment that contributes to stereotypes and underreporting of sexual assaults. I wouldn't even put Trump into the field of discussion because his statement is what a lot of people think when they are faced with sexual assault.

This is sort of a good example of rape culture and the problems that exist which prevents properly handling the issue of sexual assault. There is this general idea that if an assault is vicious enough it is legitimate and that assaults where there is less physical harm are not sexual assault. There is also a pervasive opinion about who would go to the police and why which is often erroneous. Suggesting that it couldn't have been that bad if someone did not go to the police is an example of both of those things.
    Assault is assault. The decision not to go to the police is understandable. Men don't always get ti because it is rare among men.

I would ask any man to honestly say they would go to the police and have to say exactly what was done to them.

I don't think Trump saying this means anything more than what the majority of men would say. Exo will be right along with his crap but this is what most men believe. It was worse when I was young.
    Liberals are a clear and present danger to our nation
    Pick your enemies carefully.

Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 845
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,087x in 12,282 Posts
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    There is no way to spin or sugar-coat it that doesn't reek of partisanship and willful blindness. Trump's words mark him as an individual who understands nothing about traumatic reactions, memory or personal relationships, and cares less. Like him or not, support him or not - his words are cringe-worthy and should be an embarrassment to every American.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

Common Sense (09-21-2018),DGUtley (09-21-2018),Dr. Who (09-22-2018),IMPress Polly (09-22-2018)

Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 443
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteranSocial50000 Experience Points
    Beevee's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,826x in 1,454 Posts
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chloe View Post
    Trump really needs to drop his phone into a puddle of water, stick it in a bowl of rice for a few days, and do something else to occupy his mind.
    He really doesn't want to do that because he sees a row of empty jail cells awaiting him and his equally corrupt family members.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,902x in 54,719 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Trump really needs to drop his phone into a puddle of water, stick it in a bowl of rice for a few days, and do something else to occupy his mind.
    Melania should kill his Twitter account.

But then what would liberals have to scream about?
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 69.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,039x in 24,874 Posts
    Mentioned
    886 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    … and like the Buckeyes and Browns... @Chloe has the winner today!!!!

Attachment 24383
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

Level completed: 66%, Points required for next Level: 443
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassVeteranSocial50000 Experience Points
    Beevee's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 1,826x in 1,454 Posts
    Mentioned
    71 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Melania should kill his Twitter account.

But then what would liberals have to scream about?
    Yet look who's making the suggestion.

Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 1,008
    Overall activity: 0.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Private Pickle's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,113x in 9,773 Posts
    Mentioned
    307 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can see how you can ignore Trump... He is a 3rd party and a moron. But how can you ignore the accuser? Staunch democrat that hasn't spoken out on this in decades only now decides to go public because the individual she is accusing is up for the Supreme Court.

The fact is the mere suggestion of sexual assault is enough to destroy a life let alone a career. How much power do we give to those who are willing to wield it with evidence or not?
    I find your lack of faith...disturbing...

-Darth Vader

Level completed: 64%, Points required for next Level: 845
    Overall activity: 38.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,087x in 12,282 Posts
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Private Pickle View Post
    I can see how you can ignore Trump... He is a 3rd party and a moron. But how can you ignore the accuser? Staunch democrat that hasn't spoken out on this in decades only now decides to go public because the individual she is accusing is up for the Supreme Court.

The fact is the mere suggestion of sexual assault is enough to destroy a life let alone a career. How much power do we give to those who are willing to wield it with evidence or not?
    If someone who committed a crime against YOU a long time ago - even thirty years ago or more - was in the running to assume a hugely important and prestigious job, are you suggesting that YOU would simply keep quiet about it?

As someone who works in my office said this morning - when men who were molested by priests twenty, thirty, forty years ago, and said nothing to anyone when it happened, come forward, do we doubt them, try to shame them for staying quiet for so long, or cast doubt on their motivations for coming forward in the present day?

The fact that this story is coming out when it's coming out is inconvenient for Judge Cavanaugh, for Donald Trump, for Republicans generally and for a whole lot of other people, but...there are some things that ultimately have to be viewed as being more important than convenience.

I can recall hearing a story on the news, back when I was in my thirties, about a babysitter who was accused of molesting some children in her charge, and I suddenly remembered that the same thing was done to my sister and me by a teenaged female babysitter when we were probably eight or nine years old. It wasn't a one-time thing, either - it was ongoing, I have no idea for how long. I even remember the girl's name. In my case it was not traumatic, and when I mentioned it to my sister she appeared to have no memory of it at all. If I could somehow track this woman down - assuming she's still alive...she'd have to be in her seventies - would I confront her about it? Doubtful. But if she were in the news and being considered for a job in which she'd be responsible for making judgments that could affect millions of lives in any number of ways? I'm not absolutely sure, to be honest, whether I would bother with doing that, let alone going public with it - but it's something to which I would have to give serious thought.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (09-21-2018),IMPress Polly (09-22-2018),William (09-21-2018)

Level completed: 72%, Points required for next Level: 1,008
    Overall activity: 0.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Private Pickle's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,113x in 9,773 Posts
    Mentioned
    307 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    If someone who committed a crime against YOU a long time ago - even thirty years ago or more - was in the running to assume a hugely important and prestigious job, are you suggesting that YOU would simply keep quiet about it?
    I wouldn't have kept quiet about it in the first place.

As someone who works in my office said this morning - when men who were molested by priests twenty, thirty, forty years ago, and said nothing to anyone when it happened, come forward, do we doubt them, try to shame them for staying quiet for so long, or cast doubt on their motivations for coming forward in the present day?
    We should absolutely cast doubt. Lest we forget one is innocent until PROVEN guilty. The burden of proof is not on the accused which is why the entire #metoo movement is so dangerous and could potentially lead to more egregious accusations which societal political correctness would deem guilty without any burden of proof whatsoever.

The fact that this story is coming out when it's coming out is inconvenient for Judge Cavanaugh, for Donald Trump, for Republicans generally and for a whole lot of other people, but...there are some things that ultimately have to be viewed as being more important than convenience.
    Is that the fact? To me it seems that this story is coming out when it's completely convenient for Cavanaugh's {sic} nomination. Especially given who the accuser is and her political beliefs and background. I mean the accusation didn't come out until he was nominated... How one can turn a blind eye to that fact is simply beyond me but not surprising. Whatever serves a political purpose am I right?

I can recall hearing a story on the news, back when I was in my thirties, about a babysitter who was accused of molesting some children in her charge, and I suddenly remembered that the same thing was done to my sister and me by a teenaged female babysitter when we were probably eight or nine years old. It wasn't a one-time thing, either - it was ongoing, I have no idea for how long. I even remember the girl's name. In my case it was not traumatic, and when I mentioned it to my sister she appeared to have no memory of it at all. If I could somehow track this woman down - assuming she's still alive...she'd have to be in her seventies - would I confront her about it? Doubtful. But if she were in the news and being considered for a job in which she'd be responsible for making judgments that could affect millions of lives in any number of ways? I'm not absolutely sure, to be honest, whether I would bother with doing that, let alone going public with it - but it's something to which I would have to give serious thought.
    Let's try and keep our false analogies and red herrings to ourselves.
    I find your lack of faith...disturbing...

-Darth Vader

+ Reply to Thread