Quote Originally Posted by jigglepete View Post
I forget how old I was, but I was visiting my parents, and as my Mom was preparing dinner she called me over to the window, on the bottom rung of their bird feeder was the back end of a Purple Finch sticking out of the seed hole. It was completely still, we assumed it was "pushin' up the daisies." I went outside and unscrewed the feeder bottom, I gently pushed aside some bird feed, freeing the bird's head, that little nubbins shot across the yard like it was on fire LOL. I have liberated a couple of bats from their house as well, without hurting them I might add...
That is a great story. It makes me think of one of our sparrow rescues. One time we found a baby sparrow in a water fountain. It was lifeless we pulled it out and it was still alive. It was really small, we had to feed that baby bird masa from an eye dropper. That baby bird got healthy and strong. We named her fireball because she would fly around like a rocket. That is why your story made me remember her. Once she got big enough we let her go. We would put her in a cage out on the porch and the other sparrows would come visit her and bring her offerings through the cage like little twigs and things. One day we just opened her cage and she left with a family of sparrows. It was pretty cool Fireball was an awesome bird. We also rescued a bat one time while hiking in the superstition mountains. Cool story Pete! 10 stars for your humanity!