Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,554x in 5,668 Posts
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Animal Encounter stories

I thought I would start a thread on animal encounters. I am sure many of us have some animal encounter stories. I will share one.

One time I was riding my bike to the store. I used to take a shortcut on a canal. There was this irrigation ditch with a gravel road on both sides. It was fall and they had already drained the water from the canal. On the opposite side of the canal from where I was riding my bike was a really big German Shepard. When ever I rode down that canal he went balistic. He would bark and growl and run back and forth trying to break out of that fence.

I kind of had a fear of dogs too from an encounter when I was small. But anyways, I was riding my bike at full speed going down that road, I could hear him barking like normal, but suddely he got out of that fence. He ran right through that canal like it wasnt there. I looked back he was runing at me and barking and frothing at the mouth. I dont know why I did it but my instinct kicked in and I just hit the breaks at full force my bike skidded sideways, gravel few from my tires, and I dropped my bike to the ground and I just tunred to the dog and faced him. He was at a full run. Then he hit his breaks. I could see the gravel skidding under his feet and he skidded to a stop right in front of me. I just looked at him as adrenalyn was coursing through my body.

Somethign weird happened. He just stopped his full blown attack. I though for sure I was going to have to box this dog. I was 120 lbs, so I would have lost, but I was ready. That dog just stopped and looked around all confused lowered his head and started pretending he wasnt doing anything, like he was embarrased and minding his own business. I was so suprised. He just walked away.

I learned alot that day. I learned that even the meanest animals are still a puppy inside. I learned that there is really no difference from an animal and a human that we share the same emotions. It was amazing really. I mean that dog was frothing barking and growling and in full attack mode, but when I stopped like that and confronted him, he got confused.

I think he didn't want to hurt me, that he just wanted to chase and attack for fun. But I learned that he was actally a really adorable dog that day.
    We are all brothers and sisters in humanity. We are all made from the same dust of stars. We cannot be separated because all life is interconnected.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

IMPress Polly (10-26-2023)

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 413
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassSocial25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Lummy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,307x in 4,359 Posts
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great story. Dogs are the best!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Lummy For This Useful Post:

ODB (10-01-2018)

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 31
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger Second Class10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Helena's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,314x in 1,399 Posts
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just AnotherPerson View Post
    I learned that there is really no difference from an animal and a human
    Uh, no.

You didn't learn that. You came to that conclusion. Erroneously.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Helena For This Useful Post:

Captain Obvious (09-29-2018)

Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 266
    Achievements:
    Veteran5000 Experience Points
    zachroidott's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 566x in 460 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helena View Post
    Uh, no.

You didn't learn that. You came to that conclusion. Erroneously.
    grrrrrrrr

8. The Following User Says Thank You to zachroidott For This Useful Post:

IMPress Polly (10-26-2023)

Level completed: 93%, Points required for next Level: 56
    Achievements:
    Social5000 Experience PointsVeteran
    RadioGod's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 915x in 631 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was young, a long, long time ago, I had bought some copper pipe from the hardware store and made a blowgun. I was pretty senseless, shooting at everything with darts homemade out of coat hangar wire. I decided to go out into the sticks near this marsh and see what I could hunt with it.
    After creeping around for awhile, I wasn't able to sneak up on anything, so I decide to find a good spot with tall grass and belly crawl. So I was slowly taking my time, listening for any sign of a pheasant or something, and I came up on this big patch of sagebrush.
    This was also rattlesnake country, and since I was being a ninja, I didn't want to spook any snakes hiding in the shade of the brush, so I started poking my blowgun along the ground and through the brush. I did this a few times, crawling deeper into the sagebrush, very slowly, a couple inches at a time.
    Suddenly, I poked something with my blowgun, and it didn't feel like a rock, or a bush. So I poked at it a few more times, and it felt kind of like something with some give to it. Then I heard a huge movement, with whole bushes getting moved around, and I was really confused.
    I was thinking, "what the hell is this?", so I stood up. 6 feet away from me there was a big a$$ bull, and he was standing up too. We stood there several seconds looking at each other, then he snorted really loudly.
    I spun around and started running, dropping my blowgun, and sprinted for the tree line. I felt the bull start to run behind me. I don't remember hearing him, I remember feeling the ground shaking.
    The were the remains of an old barbed wire fence, about 4 feet tall, and I cleared it like it wasn't even there. Past that I went straight into the trees, and I heard the fence come apart and get dragged through the brush. I went several yards in and I saw a leaning tree with a good low branch, and I practically ran up it. I hugged the branch with both hands and looked back, the bull was heading straight for my tree, dragging a whole lot of barbed wire still attatched to a couple metal fence stakes.
    He hit the tree I was in and it felt like he almost knocked it over. I was in total disbelief. Then the bull just started snorting some more and running around the tree I was in, changing positions every 30 seconds or so, like he was truly determined to get me. Several more times, he hit the tree with his head and shoulders.
    I climbed a little higher in the tree, and I spent about 3 hours up there. The bull didn't want to leave, and I wanted to make sure the coast was really clear before leaving.
    When I thought the coast was clear, I jumped down and bolted across the fields back into the marsh, found my bicycle, and rolled out pronto.
    Turns out nearby farmers loose cows and bulls sometimes, and they head into the nature preserve and go wild if the farmers can't find them.
    I live with a profound happiness that can only be achieved by being hated by Mr.Veritis

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RadioGod For This Useful Post:

Helena (09-30-2018),Just AnotherPerson (09-29-2018)

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 31
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger Second Class10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Helena's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,314x in 1,399 Posts
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)