Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,568x in 4,623 Posts
    Mentioned
    249 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanbforrest45 View Post
    So, your wife can't think for herself and can't see THERE WAS NO EVIDENCE OF ANY WRONG DOING BY JUSTICE BRETT KAVANAUGH. Some bimbo from California makes a claim with as you said about GW Bush, was all hat and no cattle and your wife immediately quits the party. Maybe the party is better off without her.
    It just wasn't that; it was a whole series of events if you read my post entirely.

Either way, the party is definitely better without her since she no longer believes in the party platform whatever that is these days and I'm glad she's seen the light and is an independent like me.
    God Bless America, God Bless our Military and God Bless the Police who defended the country against the insurgents on January 6, 2021

Think 3rd party for 2024 folks. Clean up America.

Once I tell you that we agree to disagree there will be no more discussion between us in the thread so please don't waste your time continuing to argue your points because I will not respond.

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 469
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jet57's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,368x in 2,004 Posts
    Mentioned
    284 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanbforrest45 View Post
    So, your wife can't think for herself and can't see THERE WAS NO EVIDENCE OF ANY WRONG DOING BY JUSTICE BRETT KAVANAUGH. Some bimbo from California makes a claim with as you said about GW Bush, was all hat and no cattle and your wife immediately quits the party. Maybe the party is better off without her.
    You're just not a serious person - are you.

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 469
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    jet57's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,368x in 2,004 Posts
    Mentioned
    284 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gamewell45 View Post
    Today, after it was determined that Sen. Collins would vote to confirm Kavanaugh, my wife, a life long member of the republican party (47 years) announced that she is leaving the party. She is completely disgusted with the party and says they have lost all touch with reality. She will now be unaffiliated with any party. I hugged her and said “welcome to the club”.

For years, she was the eternal optimist and defender of the republican party and found it hard to understand why I wasn't affiliated with any party. Only in the past year has she become more and more disenchanted with the party's values. She told me this afternoon now she understands why I refuse to be a member of any political party.

We are both going out for a drink tonight to celebrate.
    Ahh! She took a hit to the head - and now she gets it My congratulations on your happiness!! I have been non partisan - by registration - since 1980. I'm glad you're in love and have a wonderful dinner!

(Tell her I said 'welcome to the other side'.)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jet57 For This Useful Post:

gamewell45 (10-05-2018)

Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 2,313
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,044x in 8,893 Posts
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMO there needs to be a third party to keep the D's and R's honest and having to actually work at the business that they are elected to do. With three you don't get any single party ever having the ability to simply be obstreperous and completely obstructive. It forces cooperation and avoids the kind of political polarization that we are seeing today - not to mention better representing the people.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

gamewell45 (10-05-2018)

Level completed: 20%, Points required for next Level: 2,009
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Common Sense's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 16,124x in 11,355 Posts
    Mentioned
    545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    IMO there needs to be a third party to keep the D's and R's honest and having to actually work at the business that they are elected to do. With three you don't get any single party ever having the ability to simply be obstreperous and completely obstructive. It forces cooperation and avoids the kind of political polarization that we are seeing today - not to mention better representing the people.
    That's why I like the parliamentary system. It's far from perfect, but better than the two party mess.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Common Sense For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (10-05-2018)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,323x in 10,925 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    That makes sense actually it always has and its never happened. If Ron Paul couldnt get it going I doubt anyone else will. Even if an independent runs and wins the WH the R's and D's in congress will crush him/her

This divide is killing the country, I am not going to point a finger and blame. I am going to say that every american should be for enforcing our border laws, they should all be against sanctuary cities, that is one of the biggest divisive issues and it should not be an issue at all.

We need to stop the threatening, intimidation tactics and the violence and I think we all know inside even if we wont outwardly admit it, where it all comes from.
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm surprised there has not been a serious effort to create a third party that falls somewhere in between the two parties.

If a party that espoused fiscal responsibility, social liberalism, non interventionism and an end to hyper partisanship appeared, I'd think it would appeal to many. The climate seems ripe for a realistic third option.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Common Sense For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (10-05-2018),Peter1469 (10-05-2018)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    545 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    That makes sense actually it always has and its never happened. If Ron Paul couldnt get it going I doubt anyone else will. Even if an independent runs and wins the WH the R's and D's in congress will crush him/her

This divide is killing the country, I am not going to point a finger and blame. I am going to say that every american should be for enforcing our border laws, they should all be against sanctuary cities, that is one of the biggest divisive issues and it should not be an issue at all.

We need to stop the threatening, intimidation tactics and the violence and I think we all know inside even if we wont outwardly admit it, where it all comes from.
    I agree the divide is horrible and dangerous...but where do you think it comes from?

Personally, I don't think the blame lays in any one place. Both parties have contributed. All media has contributed and even the internet has contributed.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Common Sense For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (10-05-2018)

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 16%, Points required for next Level: 1,268
    Overall activity: 0.3%
    Achievements:
    Hal Jordan's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,795x in 4,453 Posts
    Mentioned
    582 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common Sense View Post
    I agree the divide is horrible and dangerous...but where do you think it comes from?

Personally, I don't think the blame lays in any one place. Both parties have contributed. All media has contributed and even the internet has contributed.
    Both parties have not only contributed, but actively pushed for it. A divided country is better for them. We need to put a stop to it.

Speaking to sector 2814 via the ring.
    "For all sad words of tongue and pen, The saddest are these, 'It might have been'." John Greenleaf Whittier

"Our minds control our bodies. Our bodies control our enemies. Our enemies control jack shit by the time we're done with them." Stick

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Hal Jordan For This Useful Post:

Dr. Who (10-05-2018)

Level completed: 43%, Points required for next Level: 2,313
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 13,044x in 8,893 Posts
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post

The D's and R's rigged the system by mandating that any third party needs votes in every state. Secondly, third parties can’t launch their own presidential bids until after the two major parties have nominated, leaving them with insufficient time between the end of primary season and the general election to gain meaningful ballot access in enough states to win an Electoral College victory and since the Electoral College is dominated by highly partisan representatives of the D's and R's, it's pretty hopeless. Furthermore, some states actually require third party candidates to have more signatures than members of the D's and R's to qualify. Another little tidbit, in 44 states across the country, if a candidate participates in a partisan primary and loses, they are prevented by state law from appearing on the general election ballot as an independent.

The rules need to change and the only way that will happen is if people demand that it change. There really should be a referendum in each state, because many who vote D or R only do so because there isn't any other viable option. The duopoly needs competition. America needs more choices and better/more honest representation.
    Last edited by Dr. Who; 10-05-2018 at 09:48 PM.
    In quoting my post, you affirm and agree that you have not been goaded, provoked, emotionally manipulated or otherwise coerced into responding.

"The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Who For This Useful Post:

Hal Jordan (10-06-2018)

+ Reply to Thread