User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Could we Run Out of Fresh water in 12 years???

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Just AnotherPerson's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,554x in 5,668 Posts
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could we Run Out of Fresh water in 12 years???

I read an article yesterday, it was talking about how much resources we have left. I will tell you what the article said was startling. Running out of oil, and coal, yeah that is an issue, but the one that stood out to me the most, was fresh water. The article stated that we may only have about 12 years of fresh water left. https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/mark...tanntp#image=1 I think it mentioned something like 1/2 the world will be out of fresh water by 2030.

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/2017...of-fresh-water

(I dont know the validity of that article, feel free to vet it till the cows come home. I am going to give my opinions on a what if.)

So let's say that the experts say we have 12 years left of fresh water. That does not count for pollution, and the waters that we render undrinkable in the mean time. It really could be less than 12 years when you take into account de-regulation and the plundering of resources. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.37e8643ff710

If we were to run out of fresh water we would not be able to water our crops, you could say goodbye to steak, pork, and chicken. We would die. There would be mass starvation. At first there would be water migration, and places like California, Nevada, Colorado, and Arizona, would all become ghost towns. Many people would die. The only places that would have water would be like Montana, Washington state, and Canada for a while. I mean this is deadly serious if it is true. We would have water wars, and not in the far off future either. https://climate.nasa.gov/news/2734/n...al-freshwater/

https://www.nasa.gov/content/esd-fre...r-availability

We need to be working on desalinating right now. We can't wait till we have 6 months, or 1 year left of water to start building, and perfecting the plants. This is a matter of world, or national security, call it what you want, but it is a real life emergency. We need to start working on the plants now, and start building pipeline infrastructure that will transport the water.

We also need to consider trying to reduce our pollution because we are going to be consuming that pollution. If the ocean water is killing sea life, it will kill us too.

Even as a small child I knew that one day we could run out of water. It is something that even a child can know about. I remember my mother used to de thaw chickens in the sink from the freezer. She would just put it under the tap and turn it on. I would be looking at that water and thinking there will be one day when we will wish for every last drop of that water. I could see how we were wasting a precious resource that we one day may not have.

We have really dropped the ball when it comes to taking care of the planet that gives us life. Here is another interesting article on resources. I will just link it if anyone is interested in further reading. https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2002/...research.waste
    Last edited by Just AnotherPerson; 10-06-2018 at 11:26 AM.
    We are all brothers and sisters in humanity. We are all made from the same dust of stars. We cannot be separated because all life is interconnected.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

IMPress Polly (10-07-2018)

Level completed: 48%, Points required for next Level: 313
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second ClassVeteran5000 Experience Points
    Major Lambda's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 266x in 188 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not me. I live outside suburbia. I have a well, not city water.

M-L
    Ab Extra & Sui Generis

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 31
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger Second Class10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Helena's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,314x in 1,399 Posts
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just AnotherPerson View Post
    Even as a small child I knew that one day we could run out of water. It is something that even a child can know about. I remember my mother used to de thaw chickens in the sink from the freezer. She would just put it under the tap and turn it on.
    Yes, that's the accepted culinary, quick-thaw, safe way to thaw chicken.

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteranYour first Group
    Ethereal's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 41,536x in 26,005 Posts
    Mentioned
    1169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm sure some areas will face water shortages, but I don't plan on being in those areas if I can help it.
    Power always thinks it has a great soul, and vast views, beyond the comprehension of the weak. And that it is doing God service when it is violating all His laws.
    --John Adams

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Ethereal For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (10-06-2018)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    I'm sure some areas will face water shortages, but I don't plan on being in those areas if I can help it.
    I live in the woods my water is from a well. But lets say that half of the world runs out of fresh water, it wouldn't matter even if you had water. It would be a world wide catastrophe everyone would be effected. If you have a well and a green house then you will be better off than most. But you have to imagine there will be very few crops left. People would die in masses of starvation. You would not be able to go to the grocery store and buy much, because it just wouldn't be there. There will be mass migration as the water runs dry.

What do you do when the government comes and commandeers your water supply? It could happen. If we end up in water wars nothing is off the tables. You know how the 1% rolls. I don't know I just posted this article because it very well may be one of the most serious topics in the world. It would be a crisis like no other. Just something to think about.
    We are all brothers and sisters in humanity. We are all made from the same dust of stars. We cannot be separated because all life is interconnected.

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Think about your grocery list when you go to the store. Do you buy oil to cook with? Do you buy fruit, vegetables, do you buy bread, do you buy steak or chicken. If 1/2 the world runs out of water those things will not exist.

But this does not have to be an emergency, we can start working on desalinating like today! We can be ready and prepared for when it comes. But, we would need to take action now. 12 years goes by in the blink of an eye.

Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 327
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Captdon's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,837x in 10,134 Posts
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is you whole world revolve around possible disasters? One large solar flare would take us all out. Whatever water problem we have we will solve. We, here, can pipe the Great Lakes to wherever we need water until we get a solution. We can mine the ice caps.

Take a deep breath and give mankind some credit.
    Liberals are a clear and present danger to our nation
    Pick your enemies carefully.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Captdon For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (10-06-2018)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just AnotherPerson View Post
    I live in the woods my water is from a well. But lets say that half of the world runs out of fresh water, it wouldn't matter even if you had water. It would be a world wide catastrophe everyone would be effected. If you have a well and a green house then you will be better off than most. But you have to imagine there will be very few crops left. People would die in masses of starvation. You would not be able to go to the grocery store and buy much, because it just wouldn't be there. There will be mass migration as the water runs dry.

What do you do when the government comes and commandeers your water supply? It could happen. If we end up in water wars nothing is off the tables. You know how the 1% rolls. I don't know I just posted this article because it very well may be one of the most serious topics in the world. It would be a crisis like no other. Just something to think about.
    I don't think that will happen, but if it did happen, things would suck for a lot of people. But I plan on becoming self-sufficient in an area with favorable geographic and climatic conditions, so I'm confident about my ability to withstand such a scenario.

Anyway, I'll be honest: I did not read the article. I'm so desensitized to dire predictions about the environment that I almost never invest time in trying to parse them. I spent years studying and arguing the man-made global warming issue and it has made me very, very cynical towards claims that purport to predict man-made environmental catastrophe. I'm not ruling it out the possibility of such, and I've become increasingly pro-environment in recent years, but I'm not going to freak out over these dire predictions unless I see some extremely compelling evidence to support the predictions AND a viable solution to go along with it.
    Power always thinks it has a great soul, and vast views, beyond the comprehension of the weak. And that it is doing God service when it is violating all His laws.
    --John Adams

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ethereal For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (10-06-2018),Peter1469 (10-06-2018)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captdon View Post
    Is you whole world revolve around possible disasters? One large solar flare would take us all out. Whatever water problem we have we will solve. We, here, can pipe the Great Lakes to wherever we need water until we get a solution. We can mine the ice caps.

Take a deep breath and give mankind some credit.
    Does your whole world revolve around shitting on JAP's threads? It sure seems like it.
    --John Adams

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    I don't think that will happen, but if it did happen, things would suck for a lot of people. But I plan on becoming self-sufficient in an area with favorable geographic and climatic conditions, so I'm confident about my ability to withstand such a scenario.

Anyway, I'll be honest: I did not read the article. I'm so desensitized to dire predictions about the environment that I almost never invest time in trying to parse them. I spent years studying and arguing the man-made global warming issue and it has made me very, very cynical towards claims that purport to predict man-made environmental catastrophe. I'm not ruling it out the possibility of such, and I've become increasingly pro-environment in recent years, but I'm not going to freak out over these dire predictions unless I see some extremely compelling evidence to support the predictions AND a viable solution to go along with it.
    I would love to be more self sufficient. When I lived in the city I had a huge garden, I loved it. I live in the woods now and my property has so many trees and not really any place for a garden or green house. But I think eventually, health willing, I will sell this home and find a different property that allows for being more self sufficient. I would hate to chop down my beautiful pine trees. That would be the only way to bring in more sun light. I am not even sure I could do solar here, or wind. But I would love to, and if the future allows it, I will someday.

Yeah some things are better not to get caught up in that is for sure. If we live worried about the future then our life will suck. I actually don't get caught up in worrying about it. But I like to be aware of it. I like to know my surroundings. It helps me to make better choices, and be prepared for life as it happens. But definitely not something to get caught up in. But awareness yes. I did get upset about Yemen though, that is different because it is something that we are causing and can make a difference in, maybe!? But that is a different topic.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (10-06-2018)

+ Reply to Thread