User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I’m An Immigrant, Minority Woman Going Republican Over Democrats’ Treatment Of Kavana

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 148,488x in 94,935 Posts
    Mentioned
    2554 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’m An Immigrant, Minority Woman Going Republican Over Democrats’ Treatment Of Kavana

I’m An Immigrant, Minority Woman Going Republican Over Democrats’ Treatment Of Kavanaugh

This is the opinion of one woman. I have heard many other democrat women have come to the same conclusion.

I have become a unicorn. My metamorphosis didn’t require a magic spell or potion, or even a trip to a well-reviewed plastic surgeon to add a horn to my head. All it took was Democrats’ treatment of Brett Kavanaugh over the last few weeks to turn me into that elusive creature: a minority, immigrant woman who supports Republicans.

I moved to the United States from Trinidad and Tobago eight years ago when I married my husband, Christopher, former U.S. Supreme Court justice Antonin Scalia’s eighth (and, in my opinion, most lovable) child. Some people might read that and think, “Well, that’s no surprise then; Justice Scalia’s daughter-in-law is hardly likely to be anything but Republican!”

But they would be wrong. I’ve always considered myself politically moderate: I am unapologetically pro-life, but my views on affirmative action, Black Lives Matter, and gun control made me sympathize strongly with Democratic perspectives and occasionally led to arguments with my husband and father-in-law.

That sense of political homelessness was a big reason that I was never in a hurry to become an American citizen. I figured I’d do it eventually, but not having a strong connection to either party, feeling unsure of where I fit into America’s strange political landscape, meant it was low on my list of priorities.

Fast-forward to 2018, and Kavanaugh’s nomination to the Supreme Court. Protests and vows to block him by any means, “using every available tool,” followed almost immediately. Anybody paying attention knew that things were about to get interesting. Unfortunately, things got less interesting than ugly and convinced me that Democrats are not who they claim to be.

The party that established itself as a champion for the voiceless, powerless, and wrongfully accused, betrayed its values and launched a vicious attack on Kavanaugh that left him voiceless, powerless, and completely incapable of defending himself. Against all logic and good faith, they released uncorroborated allegations of sexual misconduct to the public, counting on the backdrop of the Me Too movement to make them that much harder to criticize or ignore. I still cannot reconcile these actions with the social and criminal justice reform platforms that Democrats campaign on.
    Read the rest at the link.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Captdon (10-07-2018),countryboy (10-07-2018),stjames1_53 (10-07-2018)

tPF Moderator
    Overall activity: 65.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,614x in 25,159 Posts
    Mentioned
    892 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A friend of mine. A lawyer. Said the same thing.
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

Captdon (10-07-2018),stjames1_53 (10-07-2018)

Level completed: 88%, Points required for next Level: 424
    Overall activity: 42.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    stjames1_53's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 29,458x in 20,418 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's right. Let's turn the shaming back on them............. the Dems have set women back 75 years
    For waltky: http://quakes.globalincidentmap.com/
    "The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."
    - Thucydides

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" B. Franklin
    Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

6. The Following User Says Thank You to stjames1_53 For This Useful Post:

Captdon (10-07-2018)

Level completed: 71%, Points required for next Level: 697
    Overall activity: 33.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    countryboy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,792x in 13,689 Posts
    Mentioned
    237 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This point from the article resonated with me.

It’s impossible not to compare the way the process played out with Kavanaugh to what happened in 2016 with Merrick Garland, President Obama’s nominee to replace my father-in-law. In similar, though not identical, circumstances, Republicans showed much more respect and restraint. Sure, they played hardball and refused to hold hearings for Garland’s nomination, but they never sought to diminish the man. The Democrats have played a whole different and dishonorable game, one that has no rules and no winners.
    Cutesy Time is OVER

8. The Following User Says Thank You to countryboy For This Useful Post:

Captdon (10-07-2018)

Level completed: 97%, Points required for next Level: 86
    Overall activity: 5.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Captdon's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,861x in 10,154 Posts
    Mentioned
    162 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I might be a little of on this saying: "I have never saw a mob rush to the other side of town to help someone."

Welcome to the Democratic Party.
    Liberals are a clear and present danger to our nation
    Pick your enemies carefully.

Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdriveSocial
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Tahuyaman's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 77,586x in 55,991 Posts
    Mentioned
    707 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ive heard the liberals on MSNBC and CNN say that Democrats are going to receive a huge boost over this fiasco.

They may in some house of rep races, but not so in Senate races. I can see the Republicans expanding their majority in the senate.

Losing is not usually a winning thing, but if the Democrats take over the house of reps, but the Republcans expand their majority in the senate, things could be very interesting. Losing the house might be good for Republicans in the 2020 elections.

House Democrats would be focused on impeachment of Trump and probably Kavanaugh. There would be one investigation after another on every Trump administration official. They would go after every member of the adminstration for anything they can dream up. The Democrats are so angry and bitter that they won't be able to control themselves. They will shoot themselves in the foot then blame everyone else

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tahuyaman For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (10-07-2018),stjames1_53 (10-07-2018)

+ Reply to Thread