User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 131920212223

Thread: Growing Misery Among Girls, Young Women

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 29%, Points required for next Level: 2,157
    Overall activity: 27.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassCreated Album picturesYour first GroupRecommendation First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    Adelaide's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 15,094x in 9,624 Posts
    Mentioned
    1451 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    warning

Warning

FYI - this goes for everyone - discuss the topic. Last warning.

If you have questions or concerns about this moderation action, please use the Report button to let us know.

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 11.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second Class50000 Experience PointsOverdriveVeteranYour first Group
    Captain Obvious's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 34,851x in 23,666 Posts
    Mentioned
    928 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Women are a targeted demographic for a lot of special interests because they have a lot of untapped power.

They need to think more for themselves and not at the bidding of special interests trying to control them and use the leverage they have for their best interests, not someone else's.
    my junk is ugly

Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 1,698
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 932x in 669 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    I don't doubt the effects of atomization. I've mentioned them many times before but atomization has nothing to do with civilization per se but a particular civilization: our own. It is a distinctly modern and a distinctly liberal phenomenon. The inhabitant of a 16th Century hamlet or town, for example, was not alienated. No, those answers lie in our relatively recent past.
    The elevation of the individual above the group is central to the the American Constitution, its common law and its history. It is atomized by design.
    "The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

Level completed: 99%, Points required for next Level: 11
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Ethereal's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 25,884x in 16,439 Posts
    Mentioned
    936 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Who View Post
    The elevation of the individual above the group is central to the the American Constitution, its common law and its history. It is atomized by design.
    Terms like "the people", "general welfare", "common defense" and "more perfect union" would seem to suggest otherwise...
    Two things awe me most, the starry sky above me and the moral law within me.
    --Immanuel Kant

Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 105
    Overall activity: 89.0%
    Achievements:
    10000 Experience Points1 year registeredSocial
    Just AnotherPerson's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 784x in 573 Posts
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adelaide View Post
    warning

Warning

Stop bickering. Stop attacking each other. Neither of you is the topic of this thread.

If you have questions or concerns about this moderation action, please use the Report button to let us know.
    I know I am not allowed to question a mod. I don't mind that you gave me a warning. But in all honesty, it is not bickering. I was sticking up for a person for a good reason. I am quite disappointed that although there were mods posting in this thread that a warning would be given to me for bickering but a thread ban was not give to the person who told a potentially suicidal person to go off themselves. I am very disappointed. If it were my forum and I seen a person do that to another person I would have forum banned them.

Maybe there is the chance that you didn't see those posts. But I am not sure about that,since you were also posting in the thread. I may get forum banned for questioning a mod, and if I do, I accept it with honors. But it is sad that a person can say what Cletus did to another human being and no one step in and say something. What is this world coming to where that kind of behavior is acceptable. But behavior like mine is not. Behavior where a person stands up for what is right is frowned upon. This is not normal in any way. I am disappointed.
    We are all brothers and sisters in humanity. We are all made from the same dust of stars. We cannot be separated because all life is interconnected.

Level completed: 44%, Points required for next Level: 1,698
    Overall activity: 25.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteranTagger First Class50000 Experience Points
    Dr. Who's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 932x in 669 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    Terms like "the people", "general welfare", "common defense" and "more perfect union" would seem to suggest otherwise...
    That's its fatal inconsistency. It speaks of one thing, but fundamentally endorses another. An unfortunate result of the grand compromise. Despite its nationalist packaging, it is underpinned with the protection of the individual rights above all others which undoubtedly leads to the confusion about America's identity. It truly makes the life of a SCOTUS justice difficult.

An interesting discussion on this point here:
    T[t]here are two different approaches to the Constitution, the republican one and the democratic one. They're each based on different conceptions of "We the People." If you take "We the People" as a group, and you're concerned with "We the People" governing, then the only way that the will of the people can govern is by majority rule. So then anything that gets in the way of majority rule is suspect and potentially illegitimate. Which includes judges getting in the way. Judges are not accountable, they're not elected, and if they get in the way of the will of the people there is something wrong there. That's the democratic Constitution.If you take "We the People" as individuals, as I believe the Declaration of Independence does, then the purpose of government, according to the Declaration, is to secure the rights of "We the People," each and every one of us. Then government is the servant of the people, and the function of judges—who are also servants of the people—is to fairly adjudicate disputes between members of the sovereign people and their servants. People as a group yields completely different judges than people as individuals. "We the People" as individuals yields a republican Constitution and in the book I maintain that the Constitution we have is a republican Constitution.

https://reason.com/archives/2016/05/...t-constitution
    "The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems.”
    Mahatma Gandhi

+ Reply to Thread