Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,554x in 5,668 Posts
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to heal from Trauma, Anxiety, Depression, PTSD

How to heal from trauma

When we experience strong events in our life they build neuro pathways in our brain. We can call them memories if you will. If you have had a traumatic experience, it leaves a strong energetic imprint. It will build a strong neuro pathway. This is what we refer to as PTSD, or even depression, or anxiety.

When something in our environment resonates with the energy signature of that imprint and neuropathway, it will alight, and come to the forefront of your mind. You can also bring it up by thinking about the event, it will cause that neuropathway to light up, and the memory will come up in the mind, when you think about it vividly, you will actually relive the experience like it is really happening.

I think of it like a guitar, have you ever stood next to a guitar and hummed? If not, I will tell you what happens, when you hit a certain note the guitar will start to sing. It is because you resonated the guitar. The energy imprints in your mind are much the same. If something in your environment resonates with a similar energy as the one imprinted in your mind it will cause it to arise. This is what they refer to as PTSD, or anxiety.

Trauma is stored in our brain as a strong neuro pathway. Every time you relive that experience that pathway grows stronger, and stronger. Consider it like watering or fertilizing a plant. It just makes it keep growing, and becomes stronger. So the original trauma may be bad, but every time you re live that experience it become more powerful. Pretty soon it is not just the trauma from the one time, it is all of the times you re-lived it combined, at this point it takes over your life, and you can suffer immensely.

Think of it like a ball of flour add some water and flour and make a ball, that is the original trauma, now every single time you experience the trauma imagine you added more flour to the ball and the ball became bigger and bigger over time.

We can also refer to the traumatic event as seeds. They are seeds that are sown in the garden of our mind. They are sown and they are stored in our subconscious. They go into the subconscious and remain in a dormant state until something causes them to arise. When they arise in the mind we water them, and cause them to grow. When it finally goes back to the subconscious again it is stored as an even bigger seed than before, every time we cause it to arise it becomes a bigger seed. The bigger that seed becomes, the easier it is for that seed to be brought up into the mind from the subconscious. When it becomes bigger and more powerful the slightest thing can cause it to arise.

So that is a basic understanding of how events are stored in our mind. Now the good news is that we have the ability to transform these seeds that exist in our mind, and ease, or heal our trauma or depression what ever it may be. The key is to learn to water new seeds, and to stop watering the seeds in our mind that we do not want to be there.

Now back to the plant analogy, if you have a plant and you water it, and fertilize it, it will grow. But if you stop watering it, it will wither and die. So the key is to start to work on sowing new seeds to be stored in your subconscious. They will be small at first, but the more you work at it, they will grow and become stronger, and then after a time they will arise often, just like the large trauma seeds did before. The trauma seeds will be getting watered less and less, as you progress on your path of healing. After a time the seeds will wither and die. The energies in your mind will be transformed from one type of seed to another. The neuro pathways will weaken after a while, and become smaller and smaller, and eventually they will be near non existent. The new seeds you sow will grow a new neuropathway one that does not bring about suffering in your body and mind.

I will give some simple practices to begin transforming your mind. They seem silly, and like there is no way they can help. But they are truly powerful, and if practiced over time will create wonderful positive seeds in your heart, and mind. Don’t discount the power of simple thought.

At first you may not be able to just stop thinking about the trauma experiences, but as time goes by it will get easier. Once you are beyond it don’t purposefully think on the trauma or talk about it, as it will water that dormant seed again and it will begin to grow again.

Pracitces for healing

Breathing in and out say these lines to yourself in your mind You can shorten each one down to one word once you know the practice.

Breathing in I know I am breathing in,
    breathing out I know I am breathing out

Breathing in my breath grows deep,
    breathing out my breath grows slow

Breathing in I feel calm,
    Breathing out I feel ease

Breathing in I smile,
    Breathing out release

Breathing in I know this is the present moment,
    Breathing out I know this is a wonderful moment.

These can be shortened to one word

In, out
    Deep, slow
    Calm, ease
    Smile, release
    Present moment, wonderful moment

Practie number two

Breathing in I see myself as a mountain
    Breathing out I feel solid

Breathing in I see myself as a flower
    Breathing out I feel fresh

Breathing in I see myself as still waters
    Breathing out I reflect things as they truly are

Breathing in I see myself as space
    Breathing out I feel free.

This practice is wonderful when we sit solidly and see ourselves as a mountain, we become less moveable. A stong seed gets sown in the garden of our mind that makes our minds stable and solid. Not bound to drag us into the realm of suffering. When we do the flower fresh practice our minds become fresh, and full of beauty. When we become like still waters, and reflect what is truly there, our minds become calm and still, and no longer see things in front of us that are not really there. This practice is so simple, yet so profound, so powerful, and so healing. If you are truly suffering I would say giving it a try cant hurt.

There is another practice that you can do to train your mind, and that is the yes yes, thank you thank you practice. You can try doing some walking back and forth in a room, or on a walking path, and as you breathe in, you say in your mind, yes yes yes, as you breathe out you say thank you thank you thank you. You say these once for every foot step. So if you walk 3 step on your inbreath you say yes 3 times. If you walk 4 steps on your out breath you say thank you 4 times. This is a practice that helps a person to have an appreciation for life, and to say yes to life. It is a really good practice.

There is also the practice of noticing your neuteral emotions. Normally we only tend to notice when we are upset or happy. When we are neuteral we don’t think much of it. But those neuteral moments can be turned into pleasant moments as well. If when you are experiencing a neuteral moment you realize that it is a pleasant moment that is free of suffering, then they will become moments of joy. I like to use the description, if you are laying in bed, and feel cozy, and comfortable, and it just seems like an ordinary neuteral moment. But if you realize that you are laying there free of suffering, and you see what a wonderful thing it is, that moment can be one of soft joy and it will bring equanimity into your heart and sow your seeds of joy in your body and mind.

These practices can greatly help you to rebuild your neuropathways of joy and non suffering. By watering them you can transform the suffering in your body and mind into non suffering. If you practice with enough effort you will find transformation. The old seeds of suffering will get smaller and smaller, and you will be on the path to healing.

I truly hope the best for us all. May those who have suffering, and pain in their hearts, and minds, find some relief, and begin to heal. Life is precious beyond all measure. All beings should have the chance to enjoy the beauty and joy that life can offer.

Here is an old thread I made called If you are ever feeling down, this also is another way you can sow positive seeds in your mind.
    http://thepoliticalforums.com/thread...r-feeling-down

Always make sure you are up on all of your vitamins and minerals it really plays a huge part in our emotional well being.
    http://thepoliticalforums.com/thread...iency-epidemic
    Last edited by Just AnotherPerson; 10-10-2018 at 08:42 AM.
    We are all brothers and sisters in humanity. We are all made from the same dust of stars. We cannot be separated because all life is interconnected.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (10-10-2018)

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 69.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassYour first GroupVeteranRecommendation First ClassOverdrive
    Awards:
    Master Tagger
    DGUtley's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 46,039x in 24,874 Posts
    Mentioned
    886 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have defended scores of PTSD / Depression / Anxiety / SED lawsuits in 31 years. True diagnosed episodes of these conditions require intensive counseling (and at times medication) to recover.
    Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect. -- Woody Hayes​

4. The Following User Says Thank You to DGUtley For This Useful Post:

Captdon (10-10-2018)

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,563x in 94,407 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes you can repair your neural pathways.

Meditation, diet, proper supplementation, exercise, reframing issues that trouble you, talk therapy, and if needed medication.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Captdon (10-10-2018),Just AnotherPerson (10-10-2018)

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Just AnotherPerson's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have found that for many people Medication is only a temporary fix. What it does is supresses the anxiety and then if the person does not have the medication they find the anxiety to be even stronger when it arises again. It makes it so that you no longer know how to deal with it at all. It becomes somewhat of a nightmare.

There are many medications that cause permanent dammage to the brain as well. These medications have many side effects for your mind and body, and can be very harmful.

Also many patients find counseling and therapy to be near worthless, finding no real solutions to help to heal their minds.

The thing is, that if we can know scientifically exactly what happened to our minds to make us like this, and we can deeply understand how the mind works, then we can know the way to healing it. This just happens because we have not been taught the ways to deal with our emotions as they arise, and don't realize what is happening in our minds, and the vicious cycle continues, and we get worse and worse. But it does not have to be this way. There is true hope and healing.

Our minds and bodies are a cumulation of everything that we have ever been exposed to. Each moment we have ever encountered has left an imprint in our body and mind, and has accumulated over the years. It is a matter of looking deeply and seeing what is inside of ourselves and learning new ways to handle strong emotions, and learning to sow new seeds, and purposefully directing our minds away from the thoughts, and seeds, and emotions, that harm our psyche's. There is hope even for the worst cases. If we know what to do, we can be healed.
    We are all brothers and sisters in humanity. We are all made from the same dust of stars. We cannot be separated because all life is interconnected.

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 51%, Points required for next Level: 1,142
    Overall activity: 14.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Cletus's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 27,378x in 15,847 Posts
    Mentioned
    412 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    PTSD is the second greatest scam of the last hundred years.
    “Extremism in defense of liberty is no vice. Moderation in pursuit of justice is no virtue.” - Barry Goldwater

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 2,023
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassCreated Album picturesYour first GroupRecommendation First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Adelaide's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,449x in 11,739 Posts
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DGUtley View Post
    I have defended scores of PTSD / Depression / Anxiety / SED lawsuits in 31 years. True diagnosed episodes of these conditions require intensive counseling (and at times medication) to recover.
    Yep.

EMDR is the best therapy to get, followed by exposure therapy. Both involve reliving the trauma to some degree, so usually medication is used early or in the interim until the level of anxiety is reduced and coping techniques have been taught and practiced.

Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 327
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Captdon's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,837x in 10,134 Posts
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just AnotherPerson View Post
    I have found that for many people Medication is only a temporary fix. What it does is supresses the anxiety and then if the person does not have the medication they find the anxiety to be even stronger when it arises again. It makes it so that you no longer know how to deal with it at all. It becomes somewhat of a nightmare.

There are many medications that cause permanent dammage to the brain as well. These medications have many side effects for your mind and body, and can be very harmful.

Also many patients find counseling and therapy to be near worthless, finding no real solutions to help to heal their minds.

The thing is, that if we can know scientifically exactly what happened to our minds to make us like this, and we can deeply understand how the mind works, then we can know the way to healing it. This just happens because we have not been taught the ways to deal with our emotions as they arise, and don't realize what is happening in our minds, and the vicious cycle continues, and we get worse and worse. But it does not have to be this way. There is true hope and healing.

Our minds and bodies are a cumulation of everything that we have ever been exposed to. Each moment we have ever encountered has left an imprint in our body and mind, and has accumulated over the years. It is a matter of looking deeply and seeing what is inside of ourselves and learning new ways to handle strong emotions, and learning to sow new seeds, and purposefully directing our minds away from the thoughts, and seeds, and emotions, that harm our psyche's. There is hope even for the worst cases. If we know what to do, we can be healed.
    Staring at your navel never works.
    Liberals are a clear and present danger to our nation
    Pick your enemies carefully.

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Just AnotherPerson's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So what I spoke of in the OP is about creating new neuropathways, and allowing the old ones to weaken over time. Thus creating new conditioning of the mind. This process is a mind science. It is understanding how the mind works, seeing what exactly happened to your mind, and understanding scientifically how to fix it. It is called Neuroplasticity.

I will give an extreme example of neuropathway rebuilding, this is not about ptsd, but about a brain damage in myself, that I was able to heal through my understanding of how the mind and brain work. I took a medication that made me very sick, it gave me damage in my brain. I ended up very similar to an end stage Parkinson's patient. At the end, before I realized it was the medication making me sick, I even experienced near paralysis. I wont go into detail on the symptoms. But my neuropathways were damaged severely from that medication. But I knew what I needed to do in order to heal. I knew I needed to build new neuropathways in order to be able to walk again. Less than 6 months ago I myself could barely walk. I worked hard to rebuild my neuropathways. I can now walk over 2 miles. Repetition is the key. Also a strong desire to overcome what obstacles you are facing.

We truly can rebuild our neuro pathways. If I could come back from near paralysis then anything is possible.

The thing about healing from trauma, is that you don't even have to start with completely new neuropathways, because everyone has all of these neuropathways in them already or seeds. If you find the seed of joy in your mind, there is already a neuropathway there of that seed. All you need to do is water it, and it will strengthen. There are many different seeds or neuropathways in your mind that could lead to healing, that you could water many times per day. Such as the seed of solidity, equanimity, gratitude. There are many. You can learn to understand how your mind works, and what got you in this place, and what you need to do to heal your mind, and strengthen the seeds in your mind that already exist, that will make an end to suffering.

This practice will not be for everyone. But I wanted to share it for anyone who may be seeking healing and have not found success elsewhere. I have read several peoples posts over the last several months who spoke of suffering from anxiety and depression and other mental health conditions. Since I happen to know somewhat about this subject, I thought I should not keep it to myself, and share for anyone who would like to at least try something different.

I did a quick search to see if I could find anything similar. I was successful. I am sure there are lots of studies out there, but I will just link the first ones I came across. These are very good actually. I just described things from my own understanding the best I can. I have my own way of explaining how these things work in a language that can be understood by most, without getting heavily into scientific jargon. It is not necessary. But over the years I have witnessed many people make a recovery and find healing and bring joy back into their lives again.

http://healingtraumacenter.com/neuro...ing-the-brain/

http://reset.me/story/neuroplasticit...ng-your-brain/

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (10-10-2018)

+ Reply to Thread