User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 155

Thread: Americans Strongly Dislike PC Culture

  1. #11
    Points: 10,900, Level: 25
    Level completed: 6%, Points required for next Level: 850
    Overall activity: 6.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassYour first Group3 months registered10000 Experience Points
    Admiral Ackbar's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    1472
    Join Date
    Jun 2018
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    1,903
    Points
    10,900
    Level
    25
    Thanks Given
    989
    Thanked 1,462x in 930 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
    I don't think most Americans even know what PC is!

    To Dems, it is CIVILITY.

    I am confused. You think the left wing street mobs are civil? Holy cow
    "Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining"----Fletcher in The Outlaw Josey Wales

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Admiral Ackbar For This Useful Post:

    Captdon (10-11-2018),DGUtley (10-11-2018)

  3. #12
    Points: 9,887, Level: 23
    Level completed: 80%, Points required for next Level: 163
    Overall activity: 20.0%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassSocial5000 Experience Points1 year registered
    Lummy's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    1595
    Join Date
    Apr 2018
    Posts
    4,032
    Points
    9,887
    Level
    23
    Thanks Given
    874
    Thanked 1,588x in 1,185 Posts
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Reporters: "Mob" is the wrong word for Democrat behavior:

    https://twitter.com/AndrewJKugle/sta...854528/video/1




    I finally figured out what provoked that seal to $#@!slap that kayaker in the face with a live octopus. The guy was a Democrat.
    Liberals! Happy Camper says, "Remember these steps to meaningful board participation: Read! Post! Think! Scratch! Delete!"

  4. #13
    Points: 17,954, Level: 32
    Level completed: 46%, Points required for next Level: 596
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    William's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    85850
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    3,732
    Points
    17,954
    Level
    32
    Thanks Given
    2,601
    Thanked 2,708x in 1,622 Posts
    Mentioned
    294 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not anything in the political sense, but I don't think many people understand the term. I had to look it up, and this is the best definition I could find.

    "The term political correctness (adjectivally: politically correct; commonly abbreviated to PC or P.C.) is used to describe language, policies, or measures that are intended to avoid offence or disadvantage to members of particular groups in society."

    Seems fair enough to me.

    If I were a part of some minority group, I don't think I would like people saying things which could easily be taken as putting that group down. But I think this view is also important -

    "The term "politically correct" was used disparagingly, to refer to someone whose loyalty to the CP line overrode compassion, and led to bad politics. It was used by Socialists against Communists, and was meant to separate out Socialists who believed in egalitarian moral ideas from dogmatic Communists who would advocate and defend party positions regardless of their moral substance."
    "Uncommon Differences", The Lion and the Unicorn Journal - Herbert Kohl

    Another British journalist, Will Hutton,[51] wrote in 2001:

    "Political correctness is one of the brilliant tools that the American Right developed in the mid–1980s, as part of its demolition of American liberalism.... What the sharpest thinkers on the American Right saw quickly was that by declaring war on the cultural manifestations of liberalism – by levelling the charge of "political correctness" against its exponents – they could discredit the whole political project."
    — "Words Really are Important, Mr Blunkett" —Will Hutton, 2001

    Groups who oppose certain generally accepted scientific views about evolution, second-hand tobacco smoke, AIDS, global warming, race, and other politically contentious scientific matters have used the term "political correctness" to describe what they view as unwarranted rejection of their perspective on these issues by a scientific community they feel is corrupted by liberal politics.

    Ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_correctness

    So, forgetting the silliness of 'person hole covers' and 'the history of personkind' - AFIK, sensible PC is just being considerate of other peoples' feelings, and going to the bother of thinking about what we say.

    I don't know about Americans (cos you basically seem a pretty divided and right-wing society - no offence intended,) but most people around the world don't want to unnecessarily offend others, but they don't want to have to constantly think about who, somewhere, might be offended if they describe a female actor as an 'actress' (which is not a word that demeans anyone). OTOH, if an actress states that she wants to be referred to as an 'actor' - it is pretty bad mannered not to do so when talking to her.
    Oh, I wish I were a glow worm,
    for a glow worm's never glum,
    'cause how can you be grumpy
    when the sun shines out your bum!

  5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to William For This Useful Post:

    AZ Jim (10-12-2018),Common (10-11-2018),Dr. Who (10-13-2018),Standing Wolf (10-12-2018)

  6. #14
    Points: 108,569, Level: 80
    Level completed: 23%, Points required for next Level: 2,081
    Overall activity: 51.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    79764
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Posts
    36,733
    Points
    108,569
    Level
    80
    Thanks Given
    5,565
    Thanked 11,729x in 8,870 Posts
    Mentioned
    228 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    I find it interesting that Liberals are all in for a thread on taylor swift impacting democrat voting and they avoid this thread like the Plaque, you see this throughout the forum




    I guess only threads that are favorable to liberals are worth remarks

    NO ONE should vote a certain way because Taylor Swift or Ted Nugent tells them to. We fought a war long ago to get rid of kings and queens and each passing generation exhibits less individuality and more "hero worship". I mean that $#@! is fine if you're 15. If I were 15 I'd likely have a Taylor poster, no records , just the poster.
    But when adults voting behavior is influenced by people with no better knowledge of politics then they have simply because they are some sort of entertainment star that's sad, lazy and a huge lack of a sense of self.
    Same when you buy a brand of car because Peyton Manning or the good looking movie guy tell you to, albeit less damaging than letting someone tell you how to vote. I know this has gone on since we had stars but it's getting worse
    Last edited by donttread; 10-11-2018 at 04:49 PM.

  7. #15
    Points: 43,578, Level: 51
    Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 1,672
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    1 year registered25000 Experience PointsTagger Second Class
    Captdon's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    6999
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    South Carolina
    Posts
    20,595
    Points
    43,578
    Level
    51
    Thanks Given
    34,819
    Thanked 6,997x in 5,574 Posts
    Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't pay any attention to it to start with. I figure no one can do anything to me about it so they can $#@! off.
    Liberals are a clear and present danger to our freedom and our society and our morals.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Captdon For This Useful Post:

    Common (10-11-2018)

  9. #16
    Points: 445,221, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.9%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    395453
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    146,216
    Points
    445,221
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    14,761
    Thanked 43,024x in 31,751 Posts
    Mentioned
    1690 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    I'm not anything in the political sense, but I don't think many people understand the term. I had to look it up, and this is the best definition I could find.

    "The term political correctness (adjectivally: politically correct; commonly abbreviated to PC or P.C.) is used to describe language, policies, or measures that are intended to avoid offence or disadvantage to members of particular groups in society."

    Seems fair enough to me.

    If I were a part of some minority group, I don't think I would like people saying things which could easily be taken as putting that group down. But I think this view is also important -

    "The term "politically correct" was used disparagingly, to refer to someone whose loyalty to the CP line overrode compassion, and led to bad politics. It was used by Socialists against Communists, and was meant to separate out Socialists who believed in egalitarian moral ideas from dogmatic Communists who would advocate and defend party positions regardless of their moral substance."
    "Uncommon Differences", The Lion and the Unicorn Journal - Herbert Kohl

    Another British journalist, Will Hutton,[51] wrote in 2001:

    "Political correctness is one of the brilliant tools that the American Right developed in the mid–1980s, as part of its demolition of American liberalism.... What the sharpest thinkers on the American Right saw quickly was that by declaring war on the cultural manifestations of liberalism – by levelling the charge of "political correctness" against its exponents – they could discredit the whole political project."
    — "Words Really are Important, Mr Blunkett" —Will Hutton, 2001

    Groups who oppose certain generally accepted scientific views about evolution, second-hand tobacco smoke, AIDS, global warming, race, and other politically contentious scientific matters have used the term "political correctness" to describe what they view as unwarranted rejection of their perspective on these issues by a scientific community they feel is corrupted by liberal politics.

    Ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Political_correctness

    So, forgetting the silliness of 'person hole covers' and 'the history of personkind' - AFIK, sensible PC is just being considerate of other peoples' feelings, and going to the bother of thinking about what we say.

    I don't know about Americans (cos you basically seem a pretty divided and right-wing society - no offence intended,) but most people around the world don't want to unnecessarily offend others, but they don't want to have to constantly think about who, somewhere, might be offended if they describe a female actor as an 'actress' (which is not a word that demeans anyone). OTOH, if an actress states that she wants to be referred to as an 'actor' - it is pretty bad mannered not to do so when talking to her.

    If you control the language, you control the argument
    If you control the argument, you control information
    If you control information, you control history
    If you control history, you control the past
    He who controls the past controls the future.


    – Big Brother, 1984
    Edmund Burke: "In vain you tell me that Artificial Government is good, but that I fall out only with the Abuse. The Thing! the Thing itself is the Abuse!"

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

    Captdon (10-12-2018),William (10-11-2018)

  11. #17
    Points: 90,496, Level: 73
    Level completed: 30%, Points required for next Level: 1,754
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialOverdriveCreated Album pictures50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Chloe's Avatar Senior Member
    Karma
    235089
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    PNW
    Posts
    16,489
    Points
    90,496
    Level
    73
    Thanks Given
    4,940
    Thanked 10,022x in 5,736 Posts
    Mentioned
    1450 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I will admit/agree that political correctness has gone a little over the top in some ways.
    Alaska Born ~ Oregon Grown

  12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chloe For This Useful Post:

    AZ Jim (10-12-2018),Captdon (10-12-2018),Common (10-11-2018),Peter1469 (10-11-2018)

  13. #18

    tPF Moderator
    Points: 308,119, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 87.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Karma
    329196
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    54,224
    Points
    308,119
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    3,497
    Thanked 8,398x in 5,278 Posts
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chloe View Post
    I will admit/agree that political correctness has gone a little over the top in some ways.
    Thank you Chloe you deserve recognition for being the lone Solitary Liberal on this forum that has the fortitude to admit that, kudos to you young lady.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.

    GROUCHO MARX,

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Common For This Useful Post:

    Captdon (10-12-2018)

  15. #19

    tPF Moderator
    Points: 308,119, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 87.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Karma
    329196
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    54,224
    Points
    308,119
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    3,497
    Thanked 8,398x in 5,278 Posts
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captdon View Post
    I don't pay any attention to it to start with. I figure no one can do anything to me about it so they can $#@! off.
    I feel the exact same way, all the democrat cards are worthless with me, I do not assault or sexually harass women, I never have so I never had to worry about that. The race card I totally ignore and the speech thing, I say what I want when I want how I want
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.

    GROUCHO MARX,

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to Common For This Useful Post:

    Captdon (10-12-2018)

  17. #20

    tPF Moderator
    Points: 308,119, Level: 100
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 87.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Karma
    329196
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    54,224
    Points
    308,119
    Level
    100
    Thanks Given
    3,497
    Thanked 8,398x in 5,278 Posts
    Mentioned
    182 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Strangelove View Post
    I don't think most Americans even know what PC is!

    To Dems, it is CIVILITY.

    lol I have to admit you crack me up with your silly stuff but its funny.
    Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies.

    GROUCHO MARX,

+ Reply to Thread

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts


Critical Acclaim
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO