Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,818x in 1,689 Posts
    Mentioned
    298 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    lol I have to admit you crack me up with your silly stuff but its funny.
    Actually, I'm not into all this Dems and Repubs stuff, but I have to agree with Dr. Stragelove when he says it's about civility. We should avoid knowingly hurting other peoples' feelings - that's only good manners, isn't it?
    Oh, I wish I were a glow worm,
    for a glow worm's never glum,
    'cause how can you be grumpy
    when the sun shines out your bum!

Level completed: 31%, Points required for next Level: 1,804
    Overall activity: 9.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialYour first Group50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    IMPress Polly's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,643x in 4,358 Posts
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many would consider me to be our most leftish forum member here, and I'm not a big fan of political correctness in the abstract myself. As you may have noticed.

I get tired of the Susan Collins's of the world lecturing about civility in the abstract while stoking the flames of division in practice with how they vote. As I pointed out in my own thread not long ago, I have received just about every label there is online at some point and it's annoying. I'm tired of being called a TERF, a SWERF, a racist (against my own ethnic group most often, no less!), a misandrist, a (yes, believe it or not) misogynist, a religious bigot, etc. etc. etc. I'm tired of lifelong feminist activists and academics being no-platformed and censored and threatened with violence for holding a critical view of gender identity and the transgender movement that I agree with. I also think both leftists and rightists have their own versions of political correctness and that the second group just lives in denial about it.

I also don't view political correctness as the biggest problem in the world at this time, in this context. I think things like rape culture are bigger problems. And I think that, in as far as incivility is a problem in American society right now, that clearly, in the main at least, comes from the top-down (i.e. Trump and goons), NOT anyone else that conservative activists would prefer to blame. For the most part, everyone else is just reacting to that source. Hillary Clinton, Eric Holder, Antifa, and feminist protesters dressed as handmaids are not the actual causes of this dilemma. The actual root cause is more obvious. So obvious that its army of adherents have to constantly point elsewhere; anywhere else, desperately.
    Last edited by IMPress Polly; 10-12-2018 at 06:26 AM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to IMPress Polly For This Useful Post:

Standing Wolf (10-12-2018)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,315x in 10,924 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMPress Polly View Post
    Many would consider me to be our most leftish forum member here, and I'm not a big fan of political correctness in the abstract myself. As you may have noticed.

I get tired of the Susan Collins's of the world lecturing about civility in the abstract while stroking the flames of division in practice with how they vote. As I pointed out in my own thread not long ago, I have received just about every label there is online at some point and it's annoying. I'm tired of being called a TERF, a SWERF, a racist (against my own ethnic group most often, no less!), a misandrist, a (yes, believe it or not) misogynist, a religious bigot, etc. etc. etc. I also think both leftists and rightists have their own versions of political correctness and that the second group just lives in denial about it.

I also don't view political correctness as the biggest problem in the world at this time, in this context. I think things like rape culture are bigger problems. And I think that, in as far as incivility is a problem in American society right now, that clearly, in the main at least, comes from the top-down (i.e. Trump and goons), NOT anyone else that conservative activists would prefer to blame. For the most part, everyone else is just reacting to that source. Hillary Clinton, Eric Holder, Antifa, and feminist protesters dressed as handmaids are not the actual causes of this dilemma. The actual root cause is more obvious. So obvious that its army of adherents have to constantly point elsewhere; anywhere else, desperately.
    We all get called names Polly and accused of things
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

Level completed: 62%, Points required for next Level: 879
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Standing Wolf's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 21,087x in 12,282 Posts
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I find it interesting that Liberals are all in for a thread on taylor swift impacting democrat voting and they avoid this thread like the Plaque, you see this throughout the forum

I guess only threads that are favorable to liberals are worth remarks
    You posted that three hours after the thread was created. Some folks do have jobs, families and a life outside the forum, C. Not everyone has either the leisure time or the inclination to lurk on this place 24/7 and comment on everything that pops up.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

DGUtley (10-12-2018),silvereyes (10-13-2018)

Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,896x in 54,714 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    We all get called names Polly and accused of things
    And by the most PC-demanding of folks.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Captdon (10-12-2018)

Level completed: 87%, Points required for next Level: 327
    Overall activity: 12.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger Second Class50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    Captdon's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 12,837x in 10,134 Posts
    Mentioned
    161 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I get tired of the Susan Collins's of the world lecturing about civility in the abstract while stoking the flames of division in practice with how they vote. As I pointed out in my own thread not long ago, I have received just about every label there is online at some point and it's annoying. I'm tired of being called a TERF, a SWERF, a racist (against my own ethnic group most often, no less!), a misandrist, a (yes, believe it or not) misogynist, a religious bigot, etc. etc. etc. I'm tired of lifelong feminist activists and academics being no-platformed and censored and threatened with violence for holding a critical view of gender identity and the transgender movement that I agree with. I also think both leftists and rightists have their own versions of political correctness and that the second group just lives in denial about it.

The Dems aren't responsible? We can't be civil -HRC. When they go low- we kick them: Holder. All the get in their face- Waters. This is why we pay no attention to you except to laugh.
    Liberals are a clear and present danger to our nation
    Pick your enemies carefully.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Captdon For This Useful Post:

Chris (10-12-2018)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Both points with which I totally agree. The question asked in the poll was whether the respondent considered PC culture to be "a problem". That a reported 97% of self-identified conservatives responded in the affirmative suggests that, in many cases, those people may simply be taking the "problem" far more seriously than they need to. Most of the examples cited by DGU, just like the great majority of those one hears about in the news, are things that almost everyone, regardless of political orientation or social class, hears about and laughs. I've been hearing references to the great "personhole covers" controversy since the '70s, and it's as much of a joke now as it was then. As for what happens on college campuses - many of the things we now hear about happening there, in terms of "PC culture", will eventually stop when enough moneyed alumni begin withholding their donations until the administrators come to their senses. On any rational list of "problems" faced by America and its citizens today, "PC culture" has to be way, way down there.
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.” - Robert E. Howard

"Only a rank degenerate would drive 1,500 miles across Texas and not eat a chicken fried steak." - Larry McMurtry

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Standing Wolf For This Useful Post:

IMPress Polly (10-13-2018)

Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,896x in 54,714 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Standing Wolf View Post
    Both points with which I totally agree. The question asked in the poll was whether the respondent considered PC culture to be "a problem". That a reported 97% of self-identified conservatives responded in the affirmative suggests that, in many cases, those people may simply be taking the "problem" far more seriously than they need to. Most of the examples cited by DGU, just like the great majority of those one hears about in the news, are things that almost everyone, regardless of political orientation or social class, hears about and laughs. I've been hearing references to the great "personhole covers" controversy since the '70s, and it's as much of a joke now as it was then. As for what happens on college campuses - many of the things we now hear about happening there, in terms of "PC culture", will eventually stop when enough moneyed alumni begin withholding their donations until the administrators come to their senses. On any rational list of "problems" faced by America and its citizens today, "PC culture" has to be way, way down there.

That's interesting, Polly says the left and right engage in PC but the right is in denial of their own PC, and Wolf agrees, and then bothof them go on with log-winded denials of PC as insignificant.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 91.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,525x in 94,386 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Largely PC is a major issue in our universities. Much less of a problem in the real world.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Captdon (10-12-2018),IMPress Polly (10-13-2018),Standing Wolf (10-12-2018)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    415 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    That's interesting, Polly says the left and right engage in PC but the right is in denial of their own PC, and Wolf agrees, and then bothof them go on with log-winded denials of PC as insignificant.
    If I may say so without being accused of "making it personal", Chris, you seem to have, as here, a penchant for seeing contradictions where none exist. Yes, both left and right have their shibboleths and taboos - that's true. Some people take them way too seriously - also true. Where, exactly, is the contradiction?

+ Reply to Thread