Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 7,643x in 4,358 Posts
    Mentioned
    634 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The Real Answer to Global Warming

The IPCC has offered their solutions to the now-emergency situation that is the climate crisis. Here's my far more satisfying (and realistic) alternative solution:

Seriously, this is the only hope the Earth has got. And also, I'm seriously looking forward to this movie!

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 85.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,911x in 54,724 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Funny you should bring up global warming as I was just reading Doubling Down on Global-Warming Alarmism.

Those working to raise awareness about climate change have a problem. While most Americans believe global warming is occurring and think human activities are causing it, fewer than half think it will pose a serious threat to the planet in their lifetimes.

So what do those seeking drastic change do? They publish predictions of imminent catastrophe based on computer models, threatening doom and gloom unless dramatic measures are taken immediately. When that fails, they change the deadline and try again. And the shifting dates for climate Armageddon are just one reason the latest report from the United Nations’ Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) may do harm to its cause than good.

The IPCC claims that if the world doesn’t undertake a massive effort to reduce carbon emissions by 2030, the result will be catastrophic — including mass wildfires, droughts, floods, food shortages, and dying coral reefs. The prescription offered to save the world by the 91 scientists who signed off on the report is a massive tax increase on carbon-dioxide emissions, as much as $27,000 per ton by the end of the century. That could cripple economies across the globe.

The trouble is, it’s hard to keep track of all the predictions we’ve heard in the last 20 years about impending catastrophes. Al Gore’s 2006 documentary film An Inconvenient Truth, which won him an Oscar as well as a Nobel Peace Prize, floated a wide array of assertions and predictions about warming that were either in error or exaggerations. Since then a number of environmental groups have talked about carbon emissions needing to be cut by 2012 (the World Wildlife Federation), 2016 (International Energy Agency), or 2018 (U.N. Framework Convention on Climate Change).

Now the IPCC tells us we have until 2030....

Why aren’t Americans responding to this challenge?

Part of the answer stems from a lack of trust in those making these predictions and demanding these sacrifices. ....
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

stjames1_53 (10-11-2018)

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,594x in 94,422 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Although I find the concept of humans as an infection to be silly, the movie looks like it will be entertaining.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

stjames1_53 (10-11-2018)

Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 1,031
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    stjames1_53's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 29,273x in 20,298 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMPress Polly View Post
    The IPCC has offered their solutions to the now-emergency situation that is the climate crisis. Here's my far more satisfying (and realistic) alternative solution:

Seriously, this is the only hope the Earth has got. And also, I'm seriously looking forward to this movie!
    seriously???
    They have left out three most important things.
    1. This ball of dirt has not stopped with its evolution since it's beginning. It will continue with or without Man until it blows up. That is a fact.
    2. Scientist deliberately leave out celestial mechanics, another ongoing process. That is a fact.
    3. If you doubt any of the above, please tell us what happened to the Sahara Tropical Rain Forests. Archeology has proven that the Sahara Desert was once a thriving eco system.
    Man has a negligible affect on what the earth does. Your position lacks substance when these other factors are reviewed.
    However, should you convince me, do I make my check out to Gia or some other fat cat wanting to line his pockets with my money.
    The UN has claimed that to save the planet will require a $240 tax on every barrel of oil. Only the wealthy will drive. You'll walk..............
    So, how much will it cost and will the tax be lifted at some point?
    In addition, are you one of those that will claim O2 has been around since the earth formed?
    For waltky: http://quakes.globalincidentmap.com/
    "The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."
    - Thucydides

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" B. Franklin
    Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Overall activity: 32.0%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteranYour first Group
    Ethereal's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 41,536x in 26,005 Posts
    Mentioned
    1169 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the best response to global warming and climate change in general is to plant more trees and to protect existing forests from destruction.
    Power always thinks it has a great soul, and vast views, beyond the comprehension of the weak. And that it is doing God service when it is violating all His laws.
    --John Adams

Level completed: 70%, Points required for next Level: 1,031
    Overall activity: 36.0%
    Achievements:
    Tagger First ClassSocial50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    stjames1_53's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 29,273x in 20,298 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    I think the best response to global warming and climate change in general is to plant more trees and to protect existing forests from destruction.
    that would be a direct assault on Globalism...............
    but it will not halt the natural evolution of the planet.
    For waltky: http://quakes.globalincidentmap.com/
    "The Nation that makes a great distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting done by fools."
    - Thucydides

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote" B. Franklin
    Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum

Level completed: 84%, Points required for next Level: 648
    Overall activity: 50.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,523x in 14,782 Posts
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IMPress Polly View Post

Earth will be fine as will most people. We'll lose a few coastal cities but they're just cities. And that's if global warming is even the issue. The other explaination is that when you have twice as many people they are twice as likely to be in weathers way.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to donttread For This Useful Post:

stjames1_53 (10-11-2018)

Overall activity: 85.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,911x in 54,724 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donttread View Post
    Earth will be fine as will most people. We'll lose a few coastal cities but they're just cities. And that's if global warming is even the issue. The other explaination is that when you have twice as many people they are twice as likely to be in weathers way.

I'm reading James C. Scott's Against the Grain: A Deep History of the Earliest States a review of the archeological and anthropological literature of early man's transition from hunter-gathers to agro-pastoralists to what led man to concentrate in towns and cities and then, much later, to form the first states. The most likely explanation is climate change that reduced arable land and water supply and close people in together. If so then we've been through this before and adapted, probably many times.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Level completed: 76%, Points required for next Level: 413
    Overall activity: 0.2%
    Achievements:
    Recommendation Second ClassSocial25000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Lummy's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 6,307x in 4,359 Posts
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For the record, I have always held that regarless of whether there is global warming, man is not to blame, and there's nothing man could do about it if there is.

If it is happening at all, it is astrophysical or geophysical, and way larger than man.

But what they are doing is trying to build great legal and political power from it, wagging their fingers at some corporations in order to milk them for all they can get for something those entities aren't responsible for, and forcing people to live their prescribed lifestyle. As if they could solve it anyway. It's the biggest scam ever, and they are the biggest $#@!ing bullies that ever walked.

Is there global warming? I don't know. Maybe. Is man responsible. $#@! NO!

Climate changes over the course of geologic time, and they are perverting interpretation of natural fluctuations like two-bit politicians wielding gun control crap.
    Last edited by Lummy; 10-11-2018 at 06:54 PM.

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,594x in 94,422 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ethereal View Post
    And continue to improve green energy to eventually replace fossil fuels. We could do it by the end of the century.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Ethereal (10-12-2018)

+ Reply to Thread