User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Camille Paglia Explains How Feminism Has Cost Women Their Identity and Happiness

Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 733
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,516x in 14,777 Posts
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    Ironically my daughter who works for a corporation says that the workplace isnt fun anymore and theres always tension. She said men will not be in a room alone with a woman anymore. Men are very paranoid about making jokes or saying something inappropriate. Even boss's want a witness present when they talk to you, she said its paranoia they dont want to lose their job over being accused of anything.

As long ago as the 90's I often refrained from giving female coworkers compliments on how they looked for fear of misinterpretation, which was mostly in my head as the compliment was going to be quite proper instead of "Damn I bet you look even better with that off". That wasn't my style, until I was dating someone and then all bets were off. Still never scared one off with a compliment.
    Sometimes even when they were fishing I let it go.
    For this reason and many others the work place is NOT fun anymore unless you work with a small tight knit group.
    That's not to defend the guy who was a pig about what he said. But my experience is when that guy was super good looking or charming it never got reported.
    I did enjoy evaluation day though when staff would come in the most provocative clothing they ever war. "Hey Jimmy who are you evaluating today? LOL
    For the most part men and women are perfectly capable of living and working together, setting and respecting boundries etc. You don't have to fully understand the other gender, merely respect the individual. To young girls if the guys in your neighborhood refer to you as "$#@!es and hos" that is the opposite of respect. Hang out in a different neighborhood and leave the disrespecters without female company.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to donttread For This Useful Post:

Captdon (10-11-2018)

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 2,023
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassCreated Album picturesYour first GroupRecommendation First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Adelaide's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,449x in 11,739 Posts
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tahuyaman View Post
    Camille Paglia Explains How Feminism Has Cost Women Their Identity and Happiness

Camille Paglia is possibly the most sane, sensible and rational liberal in America.
    Is she a liberal, though? Honest question - it sounds like she has very traditional (conservative) social opinions. Maybe she has liberal views in every other aspect, but on this issue it seems like she veers right of center.

tPF Moderator
    Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 2,023
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassCreated Album picturesYour first GroupRecommendation First Class50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Adelaide's Avatar tPF Moderator
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,449x in 11,739 Posts
    Mentioned
    1723 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    I think the problem with some modern feminists is that they simultaneously say they want to empower women and then in the next breath say that they (and all women) are victims.

I am a feminist, but my primary concern is the safety of women and it isn't strictly in the context of the United States or Canada. I think of it as a global issue. I think this is more important than anything else that falls under feminism - I think we should have a reasonable expectation of safety or a level of safety that currently does not exist. Being safe, and being able to go about life the way average men can without having to worry about being safe, seems more important to me than reproductive rights, for example. I do not think of myself as a victim of the system or the "patriarchy" or any of that... in fact, I think as a white woman I have many opportunities that other demographics do not have. I do not feel entitled to feelings of victimization when I know that there are portions of the population, in the United States and elsewhere, that has fewer rights and/or fewer opportunities. I guess it is about perspective.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Adelaide For This Useful Post:

Captdon (10-11-2018)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,902x in 54,719 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adelaide View Post
    Is she a liberal, though? Honest question - it sounds like she has very traditional (conservative) social opinions. Maybe she has liberal views in every other aspect, but on this issue it seems like she veers right of center.
    Camille is liberal, Christina is part of AEI which is conservative. But they were both active feminists from back in the 70s.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Level completed: 47%, Points required for next Level: 798
    Overall activity: 2.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger First ClassVeteran50000 Experience Points
    midcan5's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,497x in 1,841 Posts
    Mentioned
    301 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Egads, what a bunch of BS, the past is past in spite of Faulkner's words. I think she is confusing city life with the affluent burbs and coming up with a neat explanation that fits her view. Was my mom happier in that world she describes? I doubt it and one thing she mentioned when she was old is how she never lived outside the home. And she felt uncomfortable when outside Paglia's lost world. She regretted that I think. This is the usually malarkey that passes for deep thought today. Didn't we already experience 'Bowling Alone' and what are the common factors? Isolation and fear and separation and loneliness not a 'feminist word' explanation. In your life how many people do you seriously know that are happy or content or whatever word equates to your heaven? I bet not many, and out of this not many lots of baloney can be written and some will believe and nod. Full disclose, I bees happy!

"Human beings will be happier, not when they cure cancer or get to Mars or eliminate racial prejudice or flush Lake Erie, but when they find ways to inhabit primitive communities again. That's my utopia." Kurt Vonnegut

"We meet in the midst of a nation brought to the verge of moral, political, and material ruin. Corruption dominates the ballot box, the Legislatures, the Congress, and touches even the ermine of the bench. The people are demoralized... The newspapers are largely subsidized or muzzled, public opinion silenced, business prostrated, homes covered with mortgages, labor impoverished, and the land concentrating in the hands of the capitalists. The urban workmen are denied the right to organize for self protection, imported pauperized labor beats down their wages, a hireling standing army, unrecognized by our laws, is established to shoot them down, and they are rapidly degenerating into European conditions. The fruits of the toil of millions are boldly stolen to build up colossal fortunes for a few, unprecedented in the history of mankind; and the possessors of these, in turn, despise the Republic and endanger liberty." Populist platform 1892

"I read the relevant policy papers—on health, education, debt, poverty, homeland security, climate change, the extinction of species, the wars of all against all—and I notice that they tend toward a common awareness (dimly grasped but distinctly felt) that a global consumer society, if left to its own devices, must devour the earth. Not with malice aforethought, or as a matter of ideology, but because that is its métier — the scorpion that kills the frog on whose back it is crossing the river because it knows not what else to do." Lewis Lapham 'Ignorance of Things Past'

'Bowling Alone: The Collapse and Revival of American Community' https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/478.Bowling_Alone

Wanna make America great, buy American owned, made in the USA, we do. AF Veteran, INFJ-A, I am not PC.

"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord make my enemies ridiculous.' And God granted it." Voltaire

Overall activity: 88.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 80,902x in 54,719 Posts
    Mentioned
    2011 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by midcan5 View Post
    Egads, what a bunch of BS, the past is past in spite of Faulkner's words. I think she is confusing city life with the affluent burbs and coming up with a neat explanation that fits her view. Was my mom happier in that world she describes? I doubt it and one thing she mentioned when she was old is how she never lived outside the home. And she felt uncomfortable when outside Paglia's lost world. She regretted that I think. This is the usually malarkey that passes for deep thought today....
    Eliding the crap you drift off into.

You obviously sisn't listen well to Paglia message or read the OP summary. You missed entirely the part about how men and women were happier within an extended family, happier than in thier new-world isolation in nuclear families. There was no talk about outside the home. You also missed the opening part about how early feminism empowered women to work side-by-side with men.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,473x in 36,448 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    She is on the left for sure although I would consider Paglia a genuine leftist rather than a liberal. She's also a lesbian. Paglia sounds like the old left that did embrace much more traditional social views but she also backs her positions up with real insight rather than safe space feminist nonsense.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

Overall activity: 100.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsVeteranOverdriveSocial
    Awards:
    Frequent Poster
    Tahuyaman's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 76,966x in 55,594 Posts
    Mentioned
    700 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Shes very much a liberal. She’s just not insane.

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 90.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,571x in 94,411 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Common View Post
    Ironically my daughter who works for a corporation says that the workplace isnt fun anymore and theres always tension. She said men will not be in a room alone with a woman anymore. Men are very paranoid about making jokes or saying something inappropriate. Even boss's want a witness present when they talk to you, she said its paranoia they dont want to lose their job over being accused of anything.
    I have seen that at work. You kinda get which women you can be normal around and which you need to treat with kids gloves and never ever be alone with them. You need a witness.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 40.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,473x in 36,448 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Curious if anyone has a serious objection to the ideas contained in the OP.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

+ Reply to Thread