Thanks Given
    Thanked 147,566x in 94,410 Posts
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Goats climb up 50 meter high damn

I wouldn't believe it but for the pics at the link. That is pretty amazing that they can do this.

The pictures of the dam high in the Pennine Alps was captured by retired bank worker Federica Grassi, 63, from Cannobio, Italy.

She said: 'There were between 15 and 25 goats climbing on the dam at the same time while others were resting at the foot of the dam.

'The dam is about 50 metres high and according to locals, the gradient is close to 90 degrees - almost vertical.

+16

Fearless: The goats defying gravity as they climb the Cingino Dam in northern Italy

+16

A goat clinging to the side of the dam appears unfazed by the treacherous drop below

The pictures of the dam high in the Pennine Alps was captured by retired bank worker Federica Grassi, 63, from Cannobio, Italy.

She said: 'There were between 15 and 25 goats climbing on the dam at the same time while others were resting at the foot of the dam.
    'The dam is about 50 metres high and according to locals, the gradient is close to 90 degrees - almost vertical.
    RELATED ARTICLES

SHARE THIS ARTICLE

'The goats can climb like this thanks to their rubbery hooves and large inner ears that help them balance.
    'They come because they need the saltpetre and other mineral salts that they lick off the stones.'

+16

Circled in red are seven of the goats spotted licking the dam's walls with remarkable fearlessness

+16

Twelve goats clustered around the treacherous dam. Some have nearly reached the top

+16

Seemingly unfazed by the near-vertical drop, the goats tussle for position on the wall

+16

The goats use their rubbery hooves to keep their balance as they scale the enormous dam

+16

A goat expertly balances on the dam as it licks saltpetre and other minerals off the walls

+16

Deadly drop: The goats wedge themselves into the rocks sideways and lick the walls

She added: 'It was amazing to see them just a few metres below me defying gravity and also seeing some of them fighting for the best spots with their horns.
    'At first what I was seeing seemed impossible to me but on my way back to my car I met the keeper of the mountain hut nearby and he told me that he sees them every day.
    'He even told me the goats were "addicted" to these particular mineral salts because there are other dams on the Alps but he only saw the mountain goats climb on this one.'

+16

Expert climbers: A lone goat licking the walls of the 160-foot dam seemingly unaware of the danger

+16

An incredible view of the gravity-defying goats grazing on minerals on the side of the dam

+16

Unfazed: Five brave goats marauding around on the dam as they try to find areas which haven't already been licked

+16

A dozen goats grip the wall with their hooves and jostle for the best position

+16

The goats climb up the middle of the almost 90-degree dam to satisfy their tastebuds

+16

The goats, which are used to living at high altitude, expertly navigating the dam

Alpine ibex walking on dam wall at Italy's Gran Paradiso Park

Loaded: 0%
    Progress: 0%
    0:03

Previous

Play

Skip

Unmute

Current Time0:03

/

Duration Time1:46

Fullscreen

SHARE THIS

MORE VIDEOS
    Heavy Metal singer 'plotted to have wife killed'

DRAMATIC video of REAL LIFE Tarantino style shooto…

Jimmy Armfield and Cyril Robinson recall 1953 FA Cu…

Chinese businessman attacked by machete wieldi…

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Common (10-12-2018),Just AnotherPerson (10-11-2018),MisterVeritis (10-11-2018),RadioGod (10-12-2018)

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 52
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience Points
    Just AnotherPerson's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 9,554x in 5,668 Posts
    Mentioned
    87 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is off the hook, I know goats are amazing climbers but DAM! Pun intended! Maybe they should put some salt licks near the base of the dam.These guys must be pretty desperate for salt. Crazy goats, this was a great story.
    We are all brothers and sisters in humanity. We are all made from the same dust of stars. We cannot be separated because all life is interconnected.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Just AnotherPerson For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (10-11-2018),RadioGod (10-12-2018)

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 1.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran50000 Experience PointsOverdrive
    Common's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 18,315x in 10,924 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Talk about surefooted
    LETS GO BRANDON
    F Joe Biden

Original Ranter
    Overall activity: 92.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialCreated Album picturesOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Peter1469's Avatar Advisor
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The article doesn't mention whether any of them fell - I suspect not; it would have been included in the article.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    2552 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just AnotherPerson View Post
    That is off the hook, I know goats are amazing climbers but DAM! Pun intended! Maybe they should put some salt licks near the base of the dam.These guys must be pretty desperate for salt. Crazy goats, this was a great story.
    If an animal is desperate for salt it is because it has nutritional deficiencies. Salt has trace minerals in it (except for table salt, although that has added iodine.)

You see this on large farms where some paddocks have salt licks barely touched, and other paddocks with the salt licks licked clean. Nutrients in the soil are not uniform. And modern fertilizer leaches nutrients (other than the 3 nutrients that plants need) from the soil.
    ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter1469 For This Useful Post:

Just AnotherPerson (10-12-2018)

Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 733
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,515x in 14,777 Posts
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post

I wouldn't believe it but for the pics at the link. That is pretty amazing that they can do this.

+16

Fearless: The goats defying gravity as they climb the Cingino Dam in northern Italy

+16

A goat clinging to the side of the dam appears unfazed by the treacherous drop below

RELATED ARTICLESSHARE THIS ARTICLE

'The goats can climb like this thanks to their rubbery hooves and large inner ears that help them balance.
    'They come because they need the saltpetre and other mineral salts that they lick off the stones.'

+16

Circled in red are seven of the goats spotted licking the dam's walls with remarkable fearlessness

+16

Twelve goats clustered around the treacherous dam. Some have nearly reached the top

+16

Seemingly unfazed by the near-vertical drop, the goats tussle for position on the wall

+16

The goats use their rubbery hooves to keep their balance as they scale the enormous dam

+16

A goat expertly balances on the dam as it licks saltpetre and other minerals off the walls

+16

Deadly drop: The goats wedge themselves into the rocks sideways and lick the walls

She added: 'It was amazing to see them just a few metres below me defying gravity and also seeing some of them fighting for the best spots with their horns.
    'At first what I was seeing seemed impossible to me but on my way back to my car I met the keeper of the mountain hut nearby and he told me that he sees them every day.
    'He even told me the goats were "addicted" to these particular mineral salts because there are other dams on the Alps but he only saw the mountain goats climb on this one.'

+16

Expert climbers: A lone goat licking the walls of the 160-foot dam seemingly unaware of the danger

+16

An incredible view of the gravity-defying goats grazing on minerals on the side of the dam

+16

Unfazed: Five brave goats marauding around on the dam as they try to find areas which haven't already been licked

+16

A dozen goats grip the wall with their hooves and jostle for the best position

+16

The goats climb up the middle of the almost 90-degree dam to satisfy their tastebuds

+16

The goats, which are used to living at high altitude, expertly navigating the dam

Alpine ibex walking on dam wall at Italy's Gran Paradiso Park

Loaded: 0%
    Progress: 0%
    0:03

Previous

Play

Skip

Unmute

Current Time0:03

/

Duration Time1:46

Fullscreen

SHARE THIS

MORE VIDEOS
    Heavy Metal singer 'plotted to have wife killed'

DRAMATIC video of REAL LIFE Tarantino style shooto…

Jimmy Armfield and Cyril Robinson recall 1953 FA Cu…

Chinese businessman attacked by machete wieldi…

Amazing critters. Look pretty easy to hunt to though. LOL
    Last edited by donttread; 10-12-2018 at 07:43 AM.

Level completed: 82%, Points required for next Level: 733
    Overall activity: 47.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,515x in 14,777 Posts
    Mentioned
    318 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1469 View Post
    If an animal is desperate for salt it is because it has nutritional deficiencies. Salt has trace minerals in it (except for table salt, although that has added iodine.)

You see this on large farms where some paddocks have salt licks barely touched, and other paddocks with the salt licks licked clean. Nutrients in the soil are not uniform. And modern fertilizer leaches nutrients (other than the 3 nutrients that plants need) from the soil.

Maybe but many animals love salt. Hence the illegal "Salt Lick"

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Awards:
    Posting Award
    Level
    Thanks Given