Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 694x in 569 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Helena View Post
    Who wrote the story? That in and of itself is interesting.

Why is God against "witchcraft"? Why is there a seeming discrepancy is what the witch is able to discern vs what she has to be told?
    Is the witch EVIL? I mean, her female nurturing nature came though to try to comfort Saul.

Is Saul to die because he sought out the occult, or was it all foretold anyway throughout the universe that he was going to die in that battle?

Those are just a couple of things.
    So what do you think the story meant, a. that Saul was able to turn around things, or b. it finally caught up with him.
    Plant farms and animal sanctuaries with just compensation: Genesis 1:29-30, 2-3, Lev. 24:18-22, Psalm 50, Isaiah 1, 11:6-9, 65, 66, Daniel 1, Hosea 2:18, Revelation 20-22.

Creation of horses: Zechariah 6:1-8, 14:20. Wild Horses, burros persecuted, parted out in violation of Public Law 92-195:
    https://twitter.com/WildHorseEdu

Jesus was a Vegetarian: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx6J6jh1Dzo

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 31
    Overall activity: 0.1%
    Achievements:
    SocialTagger Second Class10000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Helena's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 2,314x in 1,399 Posts
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion Rules View Post
    So what do you think the story meant, a. that Saul was able to turn around things, or b. it finally caught up with him.
    I think the point of the story of Saul, going back to when Israel wanted a king like all the other nations,through the stories of the succession of Kings of Israel... is supposed to highlight and underscore that no matter the human king, no matter how good and honorable they start out, they are still fallible, corrupt and come short of what is supposedly the glory of god.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Helena For This Useful Post:

Peter1469 (10-14-2018)

Original Ranter
    Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 17.0%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassOverdrive50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    Mister D's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 53,583x in 36,517 Posts
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Who wrote the story? That in and of itself is interesting.

Why is God against "witchcraft"? Why is there a seeming discrepancy is what the witch is able to discern vs what she has to be told?
    Is the witch EVIL? I mean, her female nurturing nature came though to try to comfort Saul.

Is Saul to die because he sought out the occult, or was it all foretold anyway throughout the universe that he was going to die in that battle?

Those are just a couple of things.
    Why? You could say that about any story from the Bible, no? What makes it so interesting to you in this case?

It's actually not clear exactly why witchcraft, or certain forms of witchcraft, were banned but it does appear that divination and other practices were perceived as forms of idolatry, associated with pagan customs and foreign to the Yahweh cult. That most likely has a lot to do with it. See Deuteronomy 18:9, for example.

The story isn't about the witch. It's about Saul.

Neither.
    Last edited by Mister D; 10-14-2018 at 01:49 PM.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

Level completed: 55%, Points required for next Level: 408
    Overall activity: 0%
    Achievements:
    SocialVeteran10000 Experience Points
    Orion Rules's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 694x in 569 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Originally Posted by Orion Rules:
    I think the point of the story of Saul, going back to when Israel wanted a king like all the other nations,through the stories of the succession of Kings of Israel... is supposed to highlight and underscore that no matter the human king, no matter how good and honorable they start out, they are still fallible, corrupt and come short of what is supposedly the glory of god.
    The Biblical story told of in I Samuel 28-31 depicts how an arrogant, unbelieving King was finally stung by his own words. From God, he received no answers. Those who murder people for what they have done themselves...he had no place to talk about others losing their inheritances. As people are as good as they are, or not so much, it is the system called "the world" that the Lord Yeshua Christ rejects. People do have a choice to just leave it. Did you know there is no guidance that could even be offered those who wish to carry on with their fallacies straight into the night? They love the world system so much but they could never afford it.
    Plant farms and animal sanctuaries with just compensation: Genesis 1:29-30, 2-3, Lev. 24:18-22, Psalm 50, Isaiah 1, 11:6-9, 65, 66, Daniel 1, Hosea 2:18, Revelation 20-22.

Creation of horses: Zechariah 6:1-8, 14:20. Wild Horses, burros persecuted, parted out in violation of Public Law 92-195:
    https://twitter.com/WildHorseEdu

Jesus was a Vegetarian: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dx6J6jh1Dzo

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Orion Rules For This Useful Post:

Helena (10-14-2018)

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mister D View Post
    Why? You could say that about any story from the Bible, no? What makes it so interesting to you in this case?
    Many bible stories, yes. This particular one is interesting to me I suppose, because of a distinct memory I have that involved the story and a turning point in my life to questioning instead of blind acceptance. Is that answer going to test your frosticles, too?

It's actually not clear exactly why witchcraft, or certain forms of witchcraft, were banned but it does appear that divination and other practices were perceived as forms of idolatry, associated with pagan customs and foreign to the Yahweh cult. That most likely has a lot to do with it. See Deuteronomy 18:9, for example.
    You're right. It's not exactly clear. Especially since God seems cool with it as long it's his guy.

The story isn't about the witch. It's about Saul.
    Oh, what's a good story without sidekicks and side stories? The witch is an integral part of the story, otherwise..there's no story here.

Neither.
    That's your interpretation? It certainly could be interpreted in various ways, as with many bible stories.

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Many bible stories, yes. This particular one is interesting to me I suppose, because of a distinct memory I have that involved the story and a turning point in my life to questioning instead of blind acceptance. Is that answer going to test your frosticles, too?

You're right. It's not exactly clear. Especially since God seems cool with it as long it's his guy.

Oh, what's a good story without sidekicks and side stories? The witch is an integral part of the story, otherwise..there's no story here.

That's your interpretation? It certainly could be interpreted in various ways, as with many bible stories.
    What in the world could it be about this story that could play a role in "questioning"? Could you elaborate?

What do you mean by it's OK "as long as it's his guy?" I don't understand.

The story is about Saul not the witch. Asking if the witch is evil is about as relevant as asking what color clothes she was wearing. IOW, it's a red herring.

No, that's not my interpretation. I was simply answering your questions. Yes, I suppose you could interpret in a many ways but they shoudl be plausible and appropriate to the subject matter. In any case, you just asked two questions. The answer is no to both.
    Last edited by Mister D; 10-14-2018 at 07:05 PM.
    Whoever criticizes capitalism, while approving immigration, whose working class is its first victim, had better shut up. Whoever criticizes immigration, while remaining silent about capitalism, should do the same.

~Alain de Benoist

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Uh, how can something be a red herring if it's just a discussion about a bible story? We're not arguing here. You asked me why I thought it was interesting; I told you.

You want to beat a subject to death? Or are you the kind of poster who insists on having the last word, even if the discussion or argument has gotten stale three years ago?

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Uh, how can something be a red herring if it's just a discussion about a bible story? We're not arguing here. You asked me why I thought it was interesting; I told you.

You want to beat a subject to death? Or are you the kind of poster who insists on having the last word, even if the discussion or argument has gotten stale three years ago?
    Easy. It distracts from the point of the story and I know we're not arguing. I'm just trying to understand your interest.

Why are you so defensive? Your responses are vague and ambiguous. I'm just trying to understand. That's all.

~Alain de Benoist

Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    39 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Easy. It distracts from the point of the story and I know we're not arguing. I'm just trying to understand your interest.

Why are you so defensive? Your responses are vague and ambiguous. I'm just trying to understand. That's all.

But I've already stated what I believe to be the point of the story. Did you miss it? That precludes me from having an interest in the witchy side of the story? I mean, it would have made a great spin-off, if you will.

Original Ranter
    Achievements:
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Mentioned
    1102 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    But I've already stated what I believe to be the point of the story. Did you miss it? That precludes me from having an interest in the witchy side of the story? I mean, it would have made a great spin-off, if you will.
    No, you stated what you thought "the story of Saul" was about. To certain extent I agreed with that. If what you really meant was that this particular scene "is supposed to highlight and underscore that no matter the human king, no matter how good and honorable they start out, they are still fallible, corrupt and come short of what is supposedly the glory of god" then I don't agree. saul's shortcomings and lost of favor are already evident. He is shortly to die.

Nothing. I said the story is about Samuel not the witch. The writer did not intend to say much of anything about the witch.

~Alain de Benoist

+ Reply to Thread