User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: you will understand why our democracy is being wrecked.

Level completed: 2%, Points required for next Level: 3,930
    Overall activity: 31.0%
    Achievements:
    50000 Experience PointsSocialVeteran
    donttread's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 20,650x in 14,860 Posts
    Mentioned
    319 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Because the problem is with politicians in power. Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely--Lord Acton.

That and perhaps the commodification of politics. It's costly to run for office because of the great power at stake.

I'm not defending the politicians but the buyers are part of the problem too. I'm for an amendment for public funding of elections. Let's say each of 5 parties ( for the presidential race) gets 25-50 million , taking away the for sale sign and the ability to shove people's opinions down their throats while leveling the playing field

Level completed: 0%, Points required for next Level: 0
    Overall activity: 99.8%
    Achievements:
    SocialRecommendation Second ClassYour first GroupOverdrive50000 Experience PointsTagger First ClassVeteran
    Awards:
    Discussion Ender
    Chris's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 81,532x in 55,048 Posts
    Mentioned
    2014 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by donttread View Post
    I'm not defending the politicians but the buyers are part of the problem too. I'm for an amendment for public funding of elections. Let's say each of 5 parties ( for the presidential race) gets 25-50 million , taking away the for sale sign and the ability to shove people's opinions down their throats while leveling the playing field
    Sure, the wealthy are part of the problem, but if you lock them up, more will replace them, a slippery slope. No, go after the source of the problem, politicians who sell us out. Instead, though, you like many liberals, seek to give the government even more power to regulate political money. That will create only more corruption.

You can control the influence of monied interests simply by turning off the TV and not watch their commercials and refusing to answer the phone when called by unknows, marketers of commerce as likely as of politics. Go out and do your own research.
    Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire. ― Gustav Mahler

Level completed: 18%, Points required for next Level: 1,401
    Overall activity: 13.0%
    Achievements:
    Veteran25000 Experience Points
    Hoosier8's Avatar Senior Member
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 10,220x in 6,442 Posts
    Mentioned
    65 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Woot! Creating jobs, income, and wealth for Americans by providing advertisements that everyone tunes out!

MAGA!
    When Donald Trump said to protest “peacefully”, he meant violence.

When he told protesters to “go home”, he meant stay for an insurrection.

And when he told Brad Raffensperger to implement “whatever the correct legal remedy is”, he meant fraud.

War is peace.

Freedom is slavery.

Ignorance is strength.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Hoosier8 For This Useful Post:

Ransom (10-20-2018)

Level completed: 98%, Points required for next Level: 53
    Overall activity: 0.3%
    Achievements:
    Social50000 Experience PointsVeteran
    nathanbforrest45's Avatar Banned
    Level
    Thanks Given
    Thanked 16,261x in 10,568 Posts
    Mentioned
    129 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Just AnotherPerson View Post
    It is the powerful owners of the corporations who are pulling the strings. Trust me this is not a question you want to ask me or a prod as it will bring the whole house down. You should just leave it as it is. You really don't want to go there. I really don't either. I bet that the Koch brothers also don't want me to go there or Sheldon Adelson, or Ron Dermer, or Mr Rothschild, or Soros, Look I could go on all day. But in the end you would wish you never said for me to explain it. Every time someone asks me to give proof then something comes out, that they really didn't want out. So you might not want to prod me. I think Americans For Prosperity also would really not want you to have prodded me on this either, so lets not.
    The powerful owners of the corporations? You do realize do you not that the "owners" of the corporations are its stockholders, which number in the millions.

You also are aware are you not that the United States is not and has never been a democracy. A democracy was the last thing the Founding Fathers wanted. Perhaps you are not a US citizen and therefore are lacking some information about our founding.

And by the way, I found your response about "not wanting to go there" to be either arrogant or just plain loony.

+ Reply to Thread